Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 PM

Exclamation Need help adding comment section

I'm putting up a site and I'd like people to be able to comment on my posts. Naturally, I tried CuteNews and the like but you have to chmod 777 just about everything and apparently my server (GoDaddy) doesn't support changing file permissions. (Unless you have a dedicated server, I believe. Then you can.)

Is there a system I can use where I don't have to change file permissions? One that isn't too complicated, hopefully? Or should I call tech support at GoDaddy and perpare to sound like a complete idiot on the phone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
v7n Mentor

Well, the reason you have to CHMOD the files is because CuteNews uses an upload feature I believe as well as using themes (which require to update files).

Unfortunately, the installer probably sees the files are incorrectly CHMOD'd and will not let you go any farther, correct?

As far as getting a program that will allow you the basic post news and comment will be hard to find. If you know any PHP, I suggest you rifle through CuteNews and see how they are doing comments and try to integrate your own system.

If not, there are always people who will develop a small simple script for you for a bargain (say $50?).

Crazy how GoDaddy restricts stupid things like that.

You get what you pay for with GoDaddy: ****ty hosting.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

If you already have a system set up in PHP to add posts, it should be pretty simple to add comments..

Just add another table to the same database as your posts and call it comments with these columns:

comment_id, post_id, email, body, (whatever else you want to include in the comments)

Then on each post page, do a query something like this: SELECT * FROM comments WHERE post_id = 'current post id'

Display those comments wherever you want to, and set up a form on that page to submit a new comment:

<form action="process.php" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="post_id" value="<?=current post id" />
<input type="text" name="email" />
<textarea name="body"></textarea>
<input type="submit" />
</form>

then have a process.php that does a query like:

INSERT INTO comments (post_id, email, body) VALUES ($_POST[post_id], $_POST[email], $_POST[body])

I know it's not exactly a walkthrough, but it should give you a good idea of what to do.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks! The first real answers I've gotten and they're very helpful

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum