Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Problems with Non-Natives

First of all thanks for making this forum

As you know it is the biggest problem for non-natives to create a content which is digestible to the audience(specially to native English speakers). I write content for many websites and some of the owners like the content and some of them not and I also get very bad reviews. If you can add up the tips or suggestions to improve the content for non-native it will be helpful, so that they(I) can create perfectly written content.

Here are some important questions and things need to be considered:

1. Do you write American English or British? choose one
2. How do you convey your message or communicate with audience.
3. Do you consider using grammar/spelling checking tools and if yes do you select default language to be UK or USA?
4. How well do you research? or do you just copy others idea and write in your own words?
5. Do you repeat the same things over and over in your content?
6. If you have new content idea how do you research on it?
7. Do you put yourself in readers place? if yes then when writing do you consider it will be good?
8. Do you like copy pasting? and then playing with content to change some of the words?

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

My advice is always to have something original. Sure there are people out there who copy others content( thousands actually) and there are those that write original stuff... My advice is this...if someone were to call you on the phone and say "Tell me about your business" What would you tell them... very simple and I am sure you could go on for hours about what you do....
Make it to the point and interesting...

Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

I agree. Original content is vital. I use copyscape.com to check my sites for people who like to copy. Every now and then a copy cat pops up on the radar.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 PM

I currently hire writers who are native English, more specifically U.S., speakers - at least those who claim to be such. It's difficult to find them, and I often find myself editing a lot of the submitted articles. Their samples seem like the writers can write in this way, but the articles they offer says otherwise, has foreign vernacular.

I would highly suggest non-natives read a lot of content written by excellent writers in the country that you want to write for as well as watching as much television shows and movies as you can to see how they normally speak. Even countries that speak English have a different way of saying things (i.e. Australians refer to friends as "mates" while Americans don't).

Also, keep in mind, a lot of good writers spend years learning how to write well, even majoring in it in college. Take a U.S., U.K., or whatever country you want to write for, college writing course to understand what they're looking for in a writer.

It's good to have an original idea like sarahberra and ryan505 said. However, if you're unable to convey it in the same vernacular as your client, then it's mostly likely not going to count, so I definitely suggest you take writing courses and read and watch as much media as you can to understand how they talk.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
First of all thanks for making this forum

As you know it is the biggest problem for non-natives to create a content which is digestible to the audience(specially to native English speakers). I write content for many websites and some of the owners like the content and some of them not and I also get very bad reviews. If you can add up the tips or suggestions to improve the content for non-native it will be helpful, so that they(I) can create perfectly written content.

Here are some important questions and things need to be considered:

1. Do you write American English or British? choose one
2. How do you convey your message or communicate with audience.
3. Do you consider using grammar/spelling checking tools and if yes do you select default language to be UK or USA?
4. How well do you research? or do you just copy others idea and write in your own words?
5. Do you repeat the same things over and over in your content?
6. If you have new content idea how do you research on it?
7. Do you put yourself in readers place? if yes then when writing do you consider it will be good?
8. Do you like copy pasting? and then playing with content to change some of the words?

Thanks
First of all if you are not a Native English speaker DO NOT say you are. That should be the first rule of thumb. You can tell a client your English is very good, but if you did not grow up speaking English at home and in school on a daily basis, then you are not a native speaker. As for your questions, I have tried to give you my honest opinion on each.

1. You are right with regards to this. You need to ask your client which English to use. Do not forget that in addition to the UK and the USA, Australia, Canada and a few other countries, speak English fluently and even as a second primary language. AND, they all have jargon that can be interpreted one way in one country and another way in another.
2. I think each client has a particular style, so I do not think you will find a consensus here with regards to "how to communicate" with their clients.
3. This is something you too should use. It looks very bad on your part if you turn in work that has a lot of spelling and grammatical mistakes.
4. YIKES... I am baffled here...Why would anyone copy paste anything from another site? If you as a writer or your client as an Internet Marketer, find the need to copy paste then you are in the wrong business. ORIGINAL AND HIGH QUALITY CONTENT IS A MUST
5. AGAIN, if you do not know how to explain (what may already exist elsewhere) in your own words without repeating things, or without copying, then this is NOT for you. And I am speaking in general.
6. I think that if your client (the person you are writing the content for) has a new product, he/she should furnish all the pertinent information. If not, then you should be quite capable of finding information online. HOWEVER, there is a fine line between doing research and paraphrasing or Plagiarizing content.
7. You should ALWAYS put yourself in your readers shoes. Think on what you as a reader may want to know.
8. AGAIN, copy pasting or Plagiarizing is a legal offense punishable by Copyright Laws, therefore it SHOULD NOT BE DONE!!!

I hope this has helped and served as a good guidance.

Last edited by ContentArticleWriter; 04-05-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM

I also have that problem. I'm not a native English speaker and what I do to over come it is to read and read other native English speakers' article. To learn how they write.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

American English is the standard for web writing.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayboss View Post
I don't think that statement is true.

Those who spell using British English offline still use it online.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayboss View Post
I'd say that's more a matter of the sheer volume of content written by US writers than anything else.

We simply have the British outnumbered.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:04 AM

Nowadays it's not such a big problem whether you are a native speaker or not, at least it's not a problem when it comes to writing content because most content writers speak English as well as they speak their own native language. But still, there are some people who are yet learning to speak English and they think that they speak it so well that they can even write articles. It's these people that create a bad figure for non-native content writers. This is why I think that most people who need to hire content writers should even consider non-native applicants because they can have a great writing skill. By the way, I am a non-native speaker of English.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

There are thousands of Articles written on the web varying from many different subjects. If you have experienced writer's block (and many of us on this forum have- many times) just do a google search for your subject along with the keyword you are researching... Read a few of these articles over and that will get the ideas rolling in your head... That should also get the idea process started for new things to write about. Hope that helps you...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web