Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Good Grammar and SEO Copywriting: Itís a Matter of Trust

Good morning V7Ners. Do you have any coffee made? Please take a look at this blog post before responding.

Quote:
Wait, let me guess. You don’t need no stinkin’ grammar, right? You’re a business owner, an SEO, an Internet marketer, or maybe even an SEO content provider. You have other things to do, and more important things to worry about than whether you’re using the objective form of a personal pronoun with a preposition. You’re already busy with the business of running a business. The last thing you need to be concerned with is using good grammar in your blog posts.

Yeah, that’s what a lot of small business owners are saying about SEO, and we all know how shortsighted that is, especially when we’re looking for a menu for that new restaurant that just opened up in town but can’t seem to find it. Without good grammar and spelling, your marketing efforts are only half as effective as they could be. It all comes down to trust.

Internet marketers have been....
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/seo/good-g...tter-of-trust/

Please share your thoughts.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Read through the post. It made a lot of sense!

I think this line from the post is something that should always be at the back of your mind when writing content - Casual is not a euphemism for incorrect.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

I think there is a time and a place.

Sometimes this can depend on markets and target audiences of course.

Bad spelling, as pointed out above in the article, can make things very difficult especially with the all important search features used to find things.

There are no exact matches for those singing from different hymn sheets.

In most cases punctuation, grammar, spelling & diction are very important but saying that there are also times when artistic expression can also play a part.

That said there are many differences between artistic expression or licence and the plain old ignorance that is probably what is being hinted towards in this subject matter.

If you ,dear reader, have license to do as you wish with words could I please see the licence!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM

I thought this line was hilarious, "You are now an SEO!". That in itself isn't correct. You are now an Search Engine Optimization? Perhaps if you write an article about writing, it should be written correctly.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Too many blogs are just plain garbage......

I rite wit a casueal stile.....

Kidding...I have a casual style of writing......on occasion I make up words....
nothing I write for at the present time requires that I generate term paper type documents...

I generally have fun writing...and I do it because I enjoy it.....

Some day I will finish my novel and after it is published and made into a movie......
I will be able to say..."I will write whatever I want to write"......::))))

Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Actually for some people grammar really matters.

One of my client was very strict about Grammar.She rejected articles or website content if they were poorly written.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Now, here’s a question: If you make it obvious that you think it’s okay to do one thing half-assed, what’s to stop anyone from thinking that’s how you do everything in your business? If you can’t be bothered to pay attention to the quality of your own blog, why would a potential client assume you’ll pay attention to the quality of the work you do for them, especially if that work is providing SEO content? There is no client relationship without trust.
^This. 99% of internet marketers suffer from the, "well my X is pretty good so people will overlook my Y" mentality.

That one thing immediately turns me off immediately. Why? Well, if I need something from your site it's because I can't do it myself. Since I'm relatively clueless about the actual product or service, I look at seemingly unrelated indicators that you're good at what you do. Or maybe I do have a clue, which means I can get even more critical.

Let's say I'm looking at an advanced SEO information product.

I have a basic knowledge of English, so I check your English. I have basic human click-whirr tapes, so I check out your testimonials (don't have any? I Google your product + SCAM/TROJAN/REVIEW. Hell, maybe I do this anyway). Since this is an advanced SEO product, maybe I know some basic SEO and I'll check yours. Were you lazy about covering any of these bases? Well, I'm going to go somewhere else.

Where else can you lose me?
  • If I have a background in marketing, I check out the sales copy. Were you lazy here? I'm gone.
  • If I have a background in web design, I check out the look and feel of the site. Were you lazy here? I'm gone.
  • If I have a background in programming, I check out the source code. Were you lazy here? I'm gone.

It really is the little things in a lot of situations that make a website successful.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

great thread. nothing makes it more obvious that someone is writing 100% to increase their site's rankings than blatant grammar errors or articles that look like they were written in 5 minutes. unfortunately google can't determine this stuff on its own yet but it can definitely tell through your users' experience one your site.....

Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

"I write, therefore I am." I have always made sure that when I write something, I write so that everyone can understand me. I don't want people thinking that they need a university degree to understand what I am trying to say. I try give them facts, and give them information to think about.

My grammar can sometimes get the better of me, and we all know what my typing is like on good days , which is why spellcheckers are so important .

Last edited by Dreamrage; 07-08-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: ai... typos

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Grammar matters a lot. At least for making an impression of professional resources and copywriting services

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 AM

I think if you're an SEO expert, there's really no need to worry too much about grammar. I know one who doesn't care about it a bit. His grammar isn't bad, but I think he and commas should get re acquainted. But he's great with SEO. He runs a copywriting business, no less! I guess, SEO is mostly about technique.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web