Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Careful Who You Outsource Your Content To

I'm sure this has been mentioned over and over again but how many people actually listen to the advice? Read the whole blog post when you get a chance.

Quote:
Ask just about any SEO professional and they will tell you that great content is what drives an SEO campaign, both onsite SEO and offsite link building. Great content not only helps your site get found and ranking well in the search engines, it is also what is going to convince your target audience to act! (That's why it is so important to write for human readers and not just for search spiders, but that's a post for another day.) If you don't have the in-house talent or time to manage a strong content marketing strategy, many site owners consider outsourcing their content marketing to a third party source. There is nothing wrong with that, provided who you are outsourcing your content writing to.

Who Is Really Doing The Writing?

My SEO company handles the blog writing and content promotion for one of our clients and she recently sent me an email saying, "Really love the blogs…you are doing a great job. Are you writing these or are you using a service like XXX?" I wasn't sure if....
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...t-warning.html

Anyone wish to share there thoughts on what Nick has talked about?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Outsourcing content has never been better! Everyone noticed that most of the newspapers went bankrupt right? If you do your homework (and I'm not willing to give up my sources) but I will say that you can get real professional writers to work for your SEO firm!

It's like I tell my clients... I'm not a writer, you don't want me writing for your company. I will edit anything I deem necessary for SEO /marketing purposes. But to be able to get ex-newspaper writers from big papers (and I mean BIG papers) at the rates we're getting... it's hardly fair!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
v7n Mentor

My thoughts?

Well, from an SEO standpoint I can't really comment, since I'm relearning everything. But since you put this in content writing, I can address it from a writer's standpoint.

It makes me wonder if I'm going about this the right way. I started out in the business years ago writing content for a variety of services, at rates that ranged from about $8 an hour to quite a bit higher. Most of the work was in the $10 range, though, and required me to be very focused in order to be able to write a quality article in a time frame that worked out to that hourly rate. I stopped when the market seemed to be flooded with writers from foreign countries providing work for as little as 20 cents per hour, after Paypal fees were deducted. It was pointless to compete with them, so I dropped out of the business.

I have friends urging me to look into other venues instead, freelance work and similar. If the writer of the article is correct, then I should probably follow my friends' advice. I am not sure I can make enough to get by if I am buried under a mountain of those who will still work for a pittance.

On the other hand, as I read about SEO, I am constantly reading that quality is the basis of standing out in rankings. When I read article sites, I know I can write better articles than at least 80-90% of what I randomly open. I'm not bragging when I say that because what I am comparing myself to are articles that have poor grammar and sentence structure, often use the wrong words, and when I get past that to look at the content, they hardly seem to be saying anything at all, and much of what they ARE saying is not even accurate. It's not hard to beat. Maybe I'm just happening on the really poor articles -- it's not something I've researched, just read around a bit.

On the other hand, the follow-up comment is discouraging. If professional journalists are working for super-low rates, that doesn't bode well.

I've owned and operated several successful businesses. One thing I learned early on is not to trade on being the lowest price out there unless you want to work much harder than everyone else for less return. Focus instead on being the BEST out there, and you can write your own ticket.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

OUtsourcing is the best option you have if you are not really sure of how you write. There are a lot of skillful writers nowadays who'd want to get hired for $0.50/word.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstudio Pros View Post
OUtsourcing is the best option you have if you are not really sure of how you write. There are a lot of skillful writers nowadays who'd want to get hired for $0.50/word.
$0.50/word? Where do I sign up? LOL

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Sumtimes I hire writurs & sumtimes I are one.

Newspaper "Journalists"? Maybe if Mark Twain was Still Around.
Having once been involved in local politics (probably safe to admit it now, that statute of limitations having run out) I can say with certitude if it came to a choice between journalists I dealt with vs the village idiot from Whateverthehellistan, the outcome wouldn't be predetermined.

Never could shake the feeling they either went to a different meeting than I was at or had unlimited access to a prescription pad. Frequently about the only thing they got right was the date, and they were so adept at misrepresenting quotes out of context that half of us ceased granting interviews.

Then again if I ever need a fiction writer, they'd be my first choice.

As far as the danger of outsourcing...
First thing that I think about was the guy that was "linkbuilding" in here for some poor schmuck in Houston that owned a high-priced brick-n-mortar spa where the trophy wives go to get rubbed down by guys with a Masters in Fine Arts.

Apparently the owner's computer tech outsourced the job of enhancing visibility to the Osama bin Laden School of SEO and Jihadist Studies. Consequently some youngster with a sig for the Houston firm wandered into our P&R threads and commenced to share his hatred for America, and declared OBL and Saddam Hussein his heroes. It was a proud moment for Houston no doubt.

I'm thinking those sig links would really go over big in Houston Texas if Mrs Gottrocks ran a Google search on the name of the local tanning and pampering establishment and saw the posts associated with it.

Add to that when someone spams the heck out of a forum and half the IDs have the same sig... it not only doesnt help the company when they're banned, it just makes anyone mentioning it immediately suspect. Probably not the outcome they'd planned when they paid the guy. Like writing, any marketing that's detailed to the lowest bidder adds new meaning to "get what you pay for".

Last edited by robjones; 12-13-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Hmmmmm ......

Somehow I missed this one in my inbox and never saw the reply.

Hehe, I never had much to do with journalists or reporters, and to be honest, I haven't even read newspapers in QUITE a few years. I can recall a few "doozies" though.

I hadn't ever thought of that aspect of SEO marketing. I'm still pretty new and don't know a lot about it anyway, but I'd never thought of all those connected comments showing up. LOL I should probably not say that I'm not exactly happy with some of my work when I have links showing up to some of the blogs I'm trying to restructure.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Quality content that gets ranked highly on Google is never cheap (if you hire someone) and cannot be mass produced. Webmasters who look for shortcuts for content are wasting their time and money.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Closed Thread