Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM

BigData | Finding a story | Driving Content using Data

Hi, there has been a large emphasis on creating very rich content in recent weeks.

A lot of SEO's are preaching and maximising their content resources for promoting websites.

I recently attended some events at thebigdata week.
I saw that many people were aggregating their data in pretty much a manual way. They were digging deep into .pdfs provided by Government sites, extracting the information manually (as .gov sites don't often have API access or any standardisations), rejigging the data into a workable format and correlating this data with other statistics (that had to be mined too).
They were researching statistics, using excel to spot patterns and hidden stories in order to write pieces related to their niche.

Imagine your company needs to write 50 pieces a week. The approach above seems impractical nee impossible using the research techniques mentioned.

The simplest of correlations at the bigdataweek seminar I attended seemed to take at least:
- 3 hours (digging/researching statistical data)
- 2 hours ( compiling data)
- 2 hours (researching data to find a story)
- 2 hours ( producing visuals and content surrounding the findings )

So all in all the manual approach took around 9 hours (flat out) in it's simplest form to produce something worth publishing. I imagine that more complex data could take days / weeks to compile.

It made me think - surely there's a way to create well researched decent content in a better more scalable way?

My questions to you are:

How could you suggest that this process be more efficient in and streamlined within a team?

Are there online places that aggregate statistics and data in easy & retrievable formats?

I'd like this post to become a curation of data sources provided by the V7N community that others can use for inspiration.

If you feel able to contribute please mention any urls or ways to access data (via API perhaps?) below:
(We could then categorise these further and eventually produce an amazing resource for content writers and researchers.)

What do you think?

Last edited by PeteHaydrew; 04-28-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web