Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Copywriting price

How do you decide your copywriting price -
Is it something that's standard for any niche and more like a fixed rate for say 500 words types..
or
Do you see the keywords, the research the topic requires and then vary accordingly?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
v7n Mentor

Abhishek,

I saw that no one had responded to you so I thought I would drop my opinion. Really it can vary based on who you are working for and what you are writing. I have seen services out there that pay writers by the word and have a set amount of tiers for talent levels as well as for different content packages available for customers.

I have also seen people create profiles on elance or sites like that and bid on jobs. Some may bid by the word and some may bid using an hourly rate. I would say if you are signing up with a service that pays writers, you will have to go with whatever they are offering.

If you do it on your own on a freelance site or just by advertising yourself, I would charge an hourly rate but make sure you convey the value that the buyers are getting. For instance don’t just advertise articles written for 15 dollars per hour. Talk about how you will research topics, include citations or configure a piece using best practices of on-page seo. Maybe you could also create custom images if the pieces are for blog posts. You just have to think about how much time you are spending composing something. Naturally if you already know a lot about something, you will be able to write a very compelling piece in no time. If you need to do research, that takes more time and if you are charging by the word, your profit begins to shrink the more time you are spending looking things up.

Here are some tips on how to set freelance writing rates,

http://www.freelancewriting.com/arti...ting-rates.php

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Banned

You must be aware of spinning content. Internet is now heavy with spin content, no one can get any right information in the web.

Basically creative content writers offering good contents as very natural with interesting and they are charging with their efforts.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Yeah.
My first "job" as a freelancer paid $1 per 1000 words. I figured I needed the practice anyway. I sat down and just wrote. I wrote whatever came to mind on the topic without ever stopping to go back and see if it actually made any sense.

For a while after that, I took "$5 per 500 words" jobs. I took enough time with these to make sure that they were at least grammatically correct, but research was limited to whatever popped up on the first page of Google.

It wasn't long before I was swamped with these low paying, fluffy projects. Which wasn't too bad as I could churn these out in like 10-15 minutes. But I was harried and rushed all the time and the whole purpose of freelancing for me was to have more time and flexibility in my schedule.

I had to start limiting myself by only accepting projects that paid at least "$10 per 500 words" more, when heavy research or stringent formatting was required.

Which is where I stayed for a while.

Then something happened, I took the advice of a great client, good friend and genius entrepreneur, Jon McCulloch. His secret to success was to "Fire your worst clients and raise your prices." And that's what I did.

For the most part, the clients who were the most demanding and difficult were the bargain hunters who wanted way more for their money than was reasonable anyway. So raising my prices eliminated them naturally.

I went back, polished my journalist mind from college and learned some new tricks about writing for the web (you can learn ANYTHING from youtube) Now, I offer an exceptional product but I charge $0.04 per word: $20 per page of content; $200 per 5000 word report or $1200 for a 30,000 word eBook.

From my experience, good copywriters, unlike standard content creators, can charge whatever they want. It's an art.

I guess my advice is to charge what YOU think your art is worth.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 AM

If you need quality and well researched content, you need to pay the price. You can get 500 word articles for $2,5 but it's crap... For $15-20/500 word you can find good writers with awesome writing and research skill. As I experienced these articles rank in Google well and visitors find them useful.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web