Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Intense Restful !!

Hi Forum.

It has been a while, but I am back. This time I am looking for just a starting point. I am looking for guidance in simply being pointed in the right direction because this is kind of intense.

Me and a couple of other people have put together an e-commerce site (I will not tell you the url because I am not here to promote it). The web site is a wordpress website(yes, the plugins have gotten that advanced now). The distributor, the people who actually make and send out the products, have made is such that I can communicate with them via RESTFUL API calls. I have looked at some of the wordpress plug-ins for this and it seems that they will allow me only to do command-line web server calls to my website from outside.

How can I code my website to make the calls to the REST API of another website? I do not know where the best place is to go to start researching this? Maybe I need to hard code the PHP of my website somewhere?

I am just look for a starting point and advice at this point.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

The site you want to connect with. All the sites I've seen that use API generally have some copy and paste code or html that you can use. You may need a non-WP page to make it work.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

OK, that is a good start at least.

Let's begin with this.

So I have a follow up question. From my home computer, how would I sent RESTful API calls from a command line?

Old 11-13-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

My initial reply was logic based and made with no knowledge of what were were speaking.

Now that I at least a glimmer of understanding, may I suggest you read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repres...state_transfer

so my initial reply is still the starting point.

I regularly get an email that contain links to an api from a source I trust. The actual script is located on the sending server. Pay particular attention to the applied web services section of the article.

For a home computer to interact with a web server? The only way I know for a home computer to interact with a web server is via a SSH / telnet client like Putty. https://www.google.com/search?q=putty&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You need root access on the server to install the software and that is hard to get authorized on a modern shared server. When I had it years ago, I had to provide copies of photo IDs and wait for a approval.

A WP install may complicate anything you are trying to do as it takes over the .htaccess file.

Maybe Dan or JH will join the thread and offer some additional comments, they both know a lot more than me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum