Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 09-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Administrator

36 Reasons Why Having a “Free Website” is a Bad Idea

Just don't do it! Have had a few clients that have been there, done that and suffered the consequences ...
Quote:
The thought of getting free website is tempting. The internet is full of companies offering free website hosting even for self-hosted WordPress. You’re probably wondering what’s the catch? Why isn’t everyone else using a free WordPress website? In this article, we will share 36 reasons why having a free website is a bad idea and something that you should AVOID at all costs...

...7. They can shut down your website

The terms and conditions of these services clearly state that they can shutdown your website at anytime without providing you a reason. If they shutdown a website, they usually don’t give your data or provide you a way to save your content.

8. These companies can disappear at anytime

At any time, the free website company can decide to pack up their business and go. They would simply shutdown their servers, and you will loose your website and all the data. Their terms of service give them full legal protection to do so.

9. You will lose your site address

If they decide to close the service or shutdown your website, then you will loose your web address. Most of the time it is a subdomain associated with the service. You cannot replicate that address or redirect users to your new site elsewhere.
36 Reasons Why Having a “Free Website” is a Bad Idea

And it isn't just fly by night companies that do this. Some of the big companies have done this also.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Not paying for hosting is bound to cost you more in the future if your blog ever hits the top of search engines. It's your old URL that gets ranked, and the authority will get stuck with the free host instead of you, which will be harder later if you get a bigger audience and need to move to a paid host.

At the bare minimum do yourself a favor and use godaddys 12$ for 1 year plan, setup wordpress on it, and have your own domain. Then you can upgrade to better hosting later, but that 12$ and having your own domain is totally worth it.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlintheworld View Post
Not paying for hosting is bound to cost you more in the future if your blog ever hits the top of search engines. It's your old URL that gets ranked, and the authority will get stuck with the free host instead of you, which will be harder later if you get a bigger audience and need to move to a paid host.

At the bare minimum do yourself a favor and use godaddys 12$ for 1 year plan, setup wordpress on it, and have your own domain. Then you can upgrade to better hosting later, but that 12$ and having your own domain is totally worth it.
Humm....absolutely right, you want to pay huge amount later. So, It's better to use paid host.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

I think free websites are good for hobbies.. I remember using freewebs.com (now webs.com I believe) when I was 12-13 and thought it was fun. But today, none of these rank. I have moved so many sites from Wix and Weebly due to their failure to show up in the search engines.. they're worthless.

But, blogger.com is good for blogs, I think anyone who argues against this is paranoid about Google taking their blog down for no reason. I have had a few blogspots that ranked well and I still see them rank for random keywords all the time.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

I also started with a free website they get me a lot of experience, if you are a beginner in the cyber industry then you should definitely try it, but if you really want to be a professional then stop using free websites because they are good for hobbies and in getting experience but not for professionals

Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dferrell View Post
I think free websites are good for hobbies..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibli2700 View Post
I also started with a free website they get me a lot of experience, if you are a beginner in the cyber industry then you should definitely try it, but if you really want to be a professional then stop using free websites because they are good for hobbies and in getting experience but not for professionals
But what if your hobby turns into a business? Then you basically have to start over on your own domain name.

Free would be good to practice on but I wouldn't create anything important on a free service.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
8. These companies can disappear at anytime
It depends which is host company for your website
for example - WordPress or Blogspot or Weebly will never disappear since they are trusted we all know .
For beginners free websites is best . If you to turn into start-up or professional blog then you can choose paid websites.
But free websites stick to few themes and plugins .

Old 09-27-2016, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopcsoft View Post
It depends which is host company for your website
for example - WordPress or Blogspot or Weebly will never disappear since they are trusted we all know .
Never say never. Some well known free sites are gone and ruined people's businesses e.g. GeoCities (owned by Yahoo!) was around for years before being shut down

Old 10-06-2016, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

Some free website is uncertain and there are many possibility to be shut down at any time but these types of website is good for getting experience.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Free websites are for the newbies. If you are serious about the revenue generation from your website, then get premium Hosting + Fast loading mobile friendly theme + WordPress.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:20 PM

Free websites are Just for the main time. Though some are reliable but have limitation. Good for newbies to learn

Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 PM

You are right.

Using free host is bad and should be avoided

Apart from shutting down your website, company disappearing and loosing your address

How about others like limitation and account upgrade, theme and plugin modification, control, monetization and maintance?

Free host don't give you privilege to do what you want

We should avoid free host or free website at all cost

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum