Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator

How Monetizing Your Blog Could Lose You Business

There are lots of articles around promoting monetizing your blog as a revenue stream but have you thought about the downside of doing this? Like loosing business if the purpose of your blog is to gain customers.
Quote:
Placing adverts on the sidebar of your blog seems a good way to earn some extra pounds. But the disadvantages can outweigh the advantages...

...For many, the idea of some ads on the sidebar seems a no-brainer. What can be the downside to generating some additional revenue?

The answer is that the downsides can easily outweigh the moderate financial advantages that advertising might bring, for a number of reasons...
How Monetizing Your Blog Could Lose You Business

So, after reading the article, what do you think of the points brought up about how monetizing your blog could lose you business?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

The article talks about 2 sets of people

1) Professional bloggers who monetise their blogs by selling products and services AND/OR ads

2) Small businesses & Companies who maintain blogs on their sites

The first set of people should conduct their own cost benefit analysis to see whether advertisements benefit them in the long run or not. Factors like page load time, user experience etc matter but you may have such an authority site that people may be willing to overlook those things. If Wikipedia started placing ads for example, people would still flock to it - i'm just giving an example of authority here, not stating that wikipedia is a blog or comparable to one.

The second set of people should refrain from doing it, unless they're advertising their own products and services. It completely destroys user experience & also the respect that customers had for a brand. People tend to reason that this is a company that needs third party ads to support its revenues & so the company's reputation as a whole takes a hit.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 PM

I don't understand your idea!! you mean i don't put ads in the sidebar and just in the last of every article?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklebron50 View Post
I don't understand your idea!! you mean i don't put ads in the sidebar and just in the last of every article?
Did you read the blog post?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum