Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 PM

Should I Start A Video Sharing Site?

I would like to start a music video sharing website with embedded videos from Youtube and others and I need some advice. I was thinking about using one of the video sharing themes for WordPress. What I need to know is if anyone would want to visit the site if it's strictly the music niche. Some of the themes have all the sharing, content, commenting, and channels like youtube, but actually are much nicer imo.

I know I can't compete with the big boys, I'm just looking for enough traffic to make some daily money.

Also, need to know what kind of hosting would be required because the system also allows people to upload their own videos. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Allowing someone to upload videos is a giant animal on it's own. You will have hell of a time getting the right converter and player to work properly without bogging down your server.
Also the cost of space is getting cheaper but is still very expensive when you are considering mirrors that will make it to where people can play the same video at the same time. One video can take 10 times the space that you would think on your server.

With all that said - I think it is very possible to start a niche website for video sharing but it will need to be a very good niche and have capabilities of capturing your audience for extended periods of time.

Youtube is getting so congested that enthusiasts of certain subjects find it hard to filter all the bad videos from the good videos. So here is your niche. If you can organize some website to display all that niche videos in a very organized way then you might just be able to do it.

It's not just the videos tho, because that is the easy part. What's more difficult is that you must connect the videos with content and possibly some context. Not an easy task as you will need at least 350 - 500 words per video.

After about 1,000 hours of work you should have a decent video niche website but then you are burdened with an even greater hurdle of gaining audiences for it - which is just as big of an animal as the first issue stated at the beginning of my post.

You will need at least a VPS and you will be paying over $50 per month just to start. Then you have the problem of converting and storing the videos on your server.

then you have the issue of playback so I don' t think a VPS is the best bet and you need a whole server. This is coming form experience being over $25,000 into a website called [removed] I started a while back that I was never even able to launch.

Last edited by snakeair; 01-30-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherFace View Post
I would like to start a music video sharing website with embedded videos from Youtube and others and I need some advice. I was thinking about using one of the video sharing themes for WordPress. What I need to know is if anyone would want to visit the site if it's strictly the music niche. Some of the themes have all the sharing, content, commenting, and channels like youtube, but actually are much nicer imo.

I know I can't compete with the big boys, I'm just looking for enough traffic to make some daily money.

Also, need to know what kind of hosting would be required because the system also allows people to upload their own videos. Thanks for any help.
good idea, you can go with your idea, but allow to users to upload there videos you need a better hosting and resource also high amount of space

in my opinion you can allow users to add i video frame to your website, so don't worry about space and other things

Old 02-09-2017, 12:17 PM

I completely agree with DentPass, What I've learnt over the years is, you can create and develop the best product in th world, but that doesn't guarantee that anone will use it.

Finding audiance will be really difficult. From personal experience if I may I have an almost similar type of product that I use with youtube videos to create a music app.

Wave.audio - I use my own app instead of some other well known music services, but my biggest hurdle is getting audience.

So from an experienced point of view, I am all positive when someone wants to invent and create, but remember you need audience to keep it going.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_m_b View Post
I completely agree with DentPass, What I've learnt over the years is, you can create and develop the best product in th world, but that doesn't guarantee that anone will use it.

Finding audiance will be really difficult. From personal experience if I may I have an almost similar type of product that I use with youtube videos to create a music app.

Wave.audio - I use my own app instead of some other well known music services, but my biggest hurdle is getting audience.

So from an experienced point of view, I am all positive when someone wants to invent and create, but remember you need audience to keep it going.
Very nicely put there good sir. I like your stile, really cool idea you have there. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

You CAN guarantee that people will use WHATEVER you build.. and this applied to anything; products, apps, websites.. whatever.

You just have to think about the big picture a little differently, do some planning and build the right thing..

Here's how you build the right thing.

Right now you're focused on what you want... and not what the MARKET wants. This is where most people screw things up.

Asking for opinions on here is meaningless, you need solid data to guide you.

OK, you might get alignment.. so the thing you want is the same as the market and that would be awesome, but here's HOW you know for sure - before you build the thing.

Create a free report.. something that will interest music lovers.. say a list of the best MP3 players, or headphones, or whatever.. it just has to grab their interest.

Offer the free report in exchange for subscribing to your email list, FB group.. again whatever. As long as you have a way to follow up with these people.

Then you run a survey, you ask them "would this ____ be of interest to you?" - and also ask them to tell you what their biggest concerns are, etc.

Now you have some real data to use. And now you know what your market wants, values, and fears.

Cha-ching!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

If you want to allow your users to upload their own videos you could either
1. host and playback the videos yourself. - will require a decent server with good bandwidth and large amount of storage which will be expensive but you can put your own pre-roll ads before the videos for maximum revenue.
2. get your site users to upload them to youtube then you can embed the link - less load on your server but you wouldn't get any ad revenue from the video ads
3. let users upload their videos to your server then you upload them to youtube and embed on your site - don't need much from your server other than decent amount of storage space for the initial upload, you can then get a share of any ad revenue from pre-rolled ads before the video.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:35 AM

From what I understand, you want to create a site where people link videos from other video sharing platforms (such as YouTube and Vimeo), right? Well, I don't really see the point of such a website. It would be a type of video social aggregator, a sort of Reddit but only for videos. There are quite a few of those type of websites around and they don't get a lot of traffic. But if you have the finance and really want to start this type of project, then sure, you can give it a try and make sure you have a unique and eye-catching design that is also mobile-friendly.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Closed Thread