Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Will you pay for writers?

I am just curious. Let's say you start a forum. How will you get quality posts? How can you attract people to your forum? Who will post in your forum? There so many forums out there that are just "ghosts" with no content and nobody visiting.

Normally, depending on the writer level, it cost between $0.10 per post to $0.30 per post and more.

Will you pay for professional writers to write quality posts in your forum?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

That kind of thing was done to death back in 2003. Before the beginning of the social network and tons of other places to vent one's opinions.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

no.. I won't.. Besides new forums will not become successful as the old forum sites..

Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Both of your answers are spam and has nothing to do with the context of my question

Old 02-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbingSEO View Post
I am just curious. Let's say you start a forum. How will you get quality posts? How can you attract people to your forum? Who will post in your forum? There so many forums out there that are just "ghosts" with no content and nobody visiting.

Normally, depending on the writer level, it cost between $0.10 per post to $0.30 per post and more.

How will you get quality posts?

This is a hard one. When I started a forum in 2000 (sold it later on) I have zero posts and zero members. First things I did was install VBSEO (no lower in business) which was a SEO plugin for Vbulletin with all the bells and whistles so now my forum was truly SEO friendly.

Since I had no members of course I started the content first. Well my first threads was sticky threads in every section with rules and very useful resources.

Then I send a message to all my social network followers about the forum just launched and I need your help in getting this forum off the ground. If you have any issues that you want to discuss, please start a thread on the new forum. Or created topic's in each categories that relate to what the category is like. Whenever a new post was made, I made sure to send them all to all of my social networks in hopes of my followers giving the forum another chance.

I as the Admin started quality threads in all categories that would even spark up a conversation or even a debate. We all know people love debates and tend to keep replying in the thread.

FYI, I had strict rules about sharing outside blog posts on the forum. If they didn't like back to the source, I would ban them for stealing content with no linkack.

How can you attract people to your forum?

This is very hard to do. What I would suggest you to do in which costs money but could be very effective is use Facebook advertising to target your audience and mention about a referral contest you are starting.

Make sure you install some sort of program where members can grab a referral link in there profile to promote. Give out a prize to the top 3 referals after the first month then end the contest or continue it another month.

Key thing by doing this is that you need to check the IP address's to make sure some idiot isnt creating multiple accounts. Make some prizes like free sticky thread in the section your website is related to. Be creative with prizes to attract more people to sign up.

I did this on my forum when I launched it and got few hundred signups in a month plus a banned a lot of cheaters. #1 winner had his thread stickied in the category of his choise (Which should be promoting is website only) #2 a banner image in a certain location for a month. #3 Another banner location in a certain section.

After 1 month all those got removed.

Who will post in your forum?

Um... don't hire people to post on your forum. You really can't tell if these paid posters will always create quality SEO type threads. It was mostly me who created fresh threads. Everyday I created a thread in all categories but made sure it was a quality one. Eventually my small crew of members was not shy anymore and either created threads or reply to threads.

Also I have social media buttons all over the forum because I wanted visitors and members to be able to promote our community

There so many forums out there that are just "ghosts" with no content and nobody visiting

Some people see large forums thriving with members and tons of replies daily and think it's easy to accomplish but give up very shortly. It's not so easy to start a forum with zero members. The admin needs to work very hard promoting the forum and provide fresh content in it daily so the search engines keep visiting it and indexing those posts. As the admin, go visit blogs that are similar in nature to what your forum is about. Ask to do a guest blog post and also ask if you can add 1 link to your forum.

Build up a reputation with quality blog posts and those blogs subscribers will click on that 1 forum link you posted to see if it's something they want to be apart of and help create a very good community.

Last edited by snakeair; 02-21-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Well you have your opinion, but I have to say, without content writes who will do really well in terms of quality and engaging conversation in your forum - you are one hell of a busy bee who will not make it anywhere and eventually give up.....

Seems like your perspective about forums is in 2000s... By the way, social network concept did not really exist until Facebook, which was around February 2004 and it did not take off until 2 years later.

Here is real deal, forum is just like any web site requires content. No matter how hard you try, NOBODY will ever post a single line of text in your forum, that's the reality.

Without forum, no web site will ever advance in Goolge in 2016 and onwards.... Competition is getting crazier and you need long tail. Right now getting in top 10 for major keywords is not even feasible. Right now long tails being divided between bottom feeders. Soon forums will take that away. There will be no place for new sites. Unless you are operating a forum that's busy, my advise, go do 9 to 5 and forget about Google. If you are in business, hire an army of writers to post valuable content on your forum, 100s of new posts per day and you will get ahead.

Everyone has their own opinion, but reality in 2016 is not a "rosy" as you described it....

Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 PM

I think that's a good way to go to start. Once you get a forum that looks like it's active and provides some valuable information to users, people will start joining and then you'll have users who will serve as non-paid writers.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, it seems to be a good way
To grow a forum.
Regards.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

It really depends. If you can find some good content creators I think this would work. But let`s be honest, what good writer will work for just $0.30 a post?

Old 02-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNRic View Post
Yes, it seems to be a good way
To grow a forum.
Regards.
How so?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:17 PM

follow Snakeair, this is a good way to grow up the forum.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCFGrizzly View Post
It really depends. If you can find some good content creators I think this would work. But let`s be honest, what good writer will work for just $0.30 a post?
2 sentences? LOL

I remember how manik started the webcosmo forum in 2008.. He used his sig in v7n.. Well he didn't encourage us to go in his forum but because he was active and provide great information, I went to see what was going on there..

A lot of v7n members was also a member in his forum. Anyway, as Snakeair have said, build your reputation and off course be friendly.

Anyway,sad to say a lot of spammers now in his forum...

Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

yes, this can be a good way to grow your site interms of quality and quantity

Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

I got massive following!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I got massive following!
And so do other people, so why not approach them and ask if they'd endorse your forum? I think it would be better because:

1.) You'd get high-quality posts from interested folks, not from writers looking to make a few bucks.
2.) You can't be accused of paying for posts - you're paying for someone who has a following to endorse your forum. It's like paying for ads, at least to me.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Lucian, you are living in the perfect world...

Old 03-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Administrator

You know, others have their threads removed for asking leading questions related to their signatures.

Created on 2016-02-11

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Closed Thread