Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Share |
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 PM

popular name killing my traffic ?

Funny but not so funny...I had no idea my new(2weeks) online website name is the name of a famous food dish and an abreviation for a famous restaurant.Because of this if i type in my domain name in google it only shows up on 7th page, all the first results are about this food dish and famous restaurants. If i type in my domain name with an explicit .com it shows up first line first page on google.
I am worried that because of this i could be loosing much traffic, specially repeat visitors, and lazy typers which should not be underestimated. I'm thinking maybe lots of people would not look much further if site did not apppear on first or second google page, they would not be bothered or think of typing in the .com and would simply loose attention.

Do you think this is right???
(please don't ask me for the name it's still under development i do not want to show it for the moment, you don't need to see it to understand my question)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi22 View Post
Do you think this is right???
(please don't ask me for the name it's still under development i do not want to show it for the moment, you don't need to see it to understand my question)
You're probably right, especially if the content isn't related in any way with food dishes or restaurants. I've experienced a reverse example, a positive flow of traffic because of the similarity to an accomplished brand name (content related though). Much like your case, it was an unplanned coincidence. Personally, I rarely type in extensions in Google. Almost never actually

Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks for reply.
I also never type-in the extention (.com)
it's like an automatic thing, i just type in the name.

I really wonder if i can ever beat all the other results and show up firt page first line if i am fighting againts a famous reataurant people are more or less talking/blogging about.

I would have to do an insane amount of seo. My site is not even about food.

Last edited by snakeair; 12-06-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well at least you are indexed then. You will have to work hard but Google claims to reward fresh unique content. Maybe an Ad Word campaign or 2 would bring your content up front more. Work on the social media angle but with no URL you just lost out here......

Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi22 View Post
Thanks for reply.
I also never type-in the extention (.com)
it's like an automatic thing, i just type in the name.

I really wonder if i can ever beat all the other results and show up firt page first line if i am fighting againts a famous reataurant people are more or less talking/blogging about.

I would have to do an insane amount of seo. My site is not even about food.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I think you understand what an uphill battle you are facing. The worst part is that even a crazy amount of seo couldn't guarantee your brand name success. Ideas that come to my mind are three:
1. Try to connect content on some basis. At least the hill won't be so big.
2. Start an aggressive marketing campaign in your current niche.
3. Cut your losses for the domain in question. Sell it if you can and try to implement the same webpage under different, more related name.

Good luck

Old 12-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

regular and proper SEO will surely bring your site up... google will recognise the difference eventually anyway

make sure that your meta description has a well written description, so that google can differentiate and push your site up.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

This could be a blessing in disguise! As mentioned previously, if you work hard at your SEO, you may get additional traffic as a result of people searching for your keyword and clicking on your site instead of the other sites.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Work on improving your title tags with specific page relevance, I would not worry about it too much because if you work your site the right way it will pay off in end.

Keep at it and keep in mind that SEO is all you need to outbeat the other domains coming up under yours.

You may have to even come out of pocket in order to acheive it too!

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Well, if that restaurant is a very famous one, he definitely can't do much with an SEO campaign. You can't compete with something that people see as a famous brand. Unless you invest a lot in SM and SEO campaigns.

If that's not the case, you should follow our colleagues' advice.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

If your really that worried why not purchase another domain and just put on a redirect on the domain that is similar to the food dish and then concentrate on SEO for the new domain.

As mentioned above it could well be a blessing and you may end up with new customers who started out searching for their favourite food dish who knows lol

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum