Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Share |
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM

DIY private domain name registrations?

As I'm looking at the 5 domain names I have set up, all getting ready to renew again and cost me $30/pop with private registration but less than half that without, I'm thinking "There's got to be a cheaper way to do this".

So I'm figuring out what all I'd need to set up to not have my real address and phone number out for all to see, while still having the domain name registered to myself. So far I'm considering a cheap wal mart 'pay as you go' cell phone and a sacrificial gmail account, but I'm not sure about a PO box as I don't want to have to check it, would prefer it forward to my actual physical address automatically (but of course this would make things too easy...)

I'm absolutely certain I'm not the first one to think of this, how do people normally go about this?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
all getting ready to renew again
Probably too late to change to a domain registrar that offers private domain registration cheaper or for free at this point. Usually there is a no transfers allowed within 60 days of renewal but check with your specific domain registrar.

Quote:
sacrificial gmail account
You do realize that as part of the TOS of owning a domain name you are to provide a legit email address (and other legit contact information), right? Yes, if it's public you get spam but the domain registry has to be able to get a hold of you to notify you of any legal notifications that arise regarding your domain name. Plus, some domain registrars are kind enough to send you a notice that your domain is about to expire. Mine sends a notice at 4 weeks before, 2 weeks before and a few days before if I have procrastinated renewing.

And from a person that might want to do business with you's perspective: Whatcha got to hide?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM

The gmail account would be sacrificial in that it'd have a lot of spam coming in to it, but I'd still have it checked, it'd go in to its own directory in my inbox that I'd clear through every week or so like I do my spam directory.

As a person operating non-business/personal business domain names registered to a residential address, I'd prefer it if people that wanted to do business with me could only contact me during business hours. Since I also manage domain names in trust for individuals, I'd prefer it if issues with those individuals were not directed towards me. ...+I have the unfortunate ill luck to occasionally deal with weirdos.

So, what I'd really like to do is keep my residential contact information to myself as much as possible.

I'm about 90 days out on the first one, but they all expire in 2012 and last time I renewed any of 'em it was like 2010 (it feels like forever ago). I can transfer them. I have 3 .com's, 1 .org, and 1 .net . If there's somewhere cheaper than godaddy that's reliable, I am 1000% all ears.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Question

I personally use a P.O. Box, and I rarely ever have to check it. It sounds to me like you are just wanting way too much, you want everything to go your way, not everything works like that.

If you do not want to pay for the private registration anymore, but still want to keep your residential address private, get a P.O. Box.

I do not understand your logic behind, not wanting to get one just because you don't want to have to check it, come on now! for real?

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM

From my understanding if one does not respond via the venue of communication used by whoever is contacting you over an issue with your domain name, you can lose it. Therefore even with a PO box, I'm responsible for checking on it every 2 to 3 weeks. Since the only use I have for a PO box is for domain name registration, a forwarding service would be great.

Edit: I should also add that I do not have frequent access to a vehicle, therefore a PO box is significantly more complicated for me to work out than it is for other people.

Granted, your concerns aren't the same as mine - web 1.0 social networking is far different from web 2.0 networking. For example, the former allows for a person under a psuedonym to order 50 harlequin romance novels to the latter's home address, with my friends I'd like to just remove the temptation to do so entirely by not providing the opportunity. (Granted, a crate of bad romance books would make me crack up laughing and I might roast marshmallows over them later that night...)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum