Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

same origin policy, images

I'm developing a very image intense application in javascript. So I decided it would be a nice idea to use Amazon S3 to upload all my images. This workds like a charm. The thing is I need to be able to manipulate the pixels in the images, thanks to the same origin policy this is not so easy. A call to getImageData will always result in a security error.

I then found out, you can't simply use subdomains, the origin must be same. I then read you can set document.domain to an upper level domain. so clever me decided to move all my images to domain.com and have my main page on www.domain.com

website : www.domain.com -> set document.domain to domain.com

Unfortunately the setting of document.domain does not seem to affect images. I still received security errors (same origin policy).

I then decided to make a static page from my generic php page, that I could upload also to S3. So I would have all my stuff on S3. Worked with Chrome, not with Firefox, but had so many other drawbacks I stopped this approach.

Now I'm back to square one, uploading everything to my sucky virtual server. I've been wasting my last two days, but still can't believe there is no solution.

Redirecting domain.com/img -> amazon/img ? would that work? I believe same origin would again be involved and kick me down below ...

I would be glad just to find some sensible information on same origin involving images. so far I just get loads of hack-stuff, how to use the image request for bypassing same origin. just I need the images...

any ideas?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum