Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

How can I improve my site?

I'm trying to create my own automatically updating news aggregate site (in the spirit of the drudge report) with an online news magazine appearance. Basically, I want it to be just a bunch of links to news items but with a somewhat huffington post look. I'm using google news rss feeds and rssinclude.com for most of the feed boxes. But my css is not the best and the feed boxes move down in smaller browser windows. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make this work better and pull this off? Basically, any advice you can share that you think will improve what I'm trying to do.

Here is a link to my site thedailysearch.com.

The thing is, I know of a video distribution company that pays you to host their news video content and that means, if I can get this to work and make it presentable, I will have an automatically updating news script people will be able to monetize and make money from. i'd be willing to share this script with anyone who can help me improve it... Thanks...

P.S. Also it would be helpful I think if you can let me know how the site looks in your browser.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 10-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

The interface looks a little crude to me.
Have you considered a more vibrant interface? Something with more color and a way to separate the stories more. Using more graphics would make stories more attract to read as well.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

The website looks very 'basic' and if you don't modify your website from this look I am afraid anyone would be interested in your website content.

Frankly speaking the website looks like as if it was designed by a 10 year kid who has just learned HTML! The website does not appear to be professional, I must say.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonseo View Post
The website looks very 'basic' and if you don't modify your website from this look I am afraid anyone would be interested in your website content.

Frankly speaking the website looks like as if it was designed by a 10 year kid who has just learned HTML! The website does not appear to be professional, I must say.
You might have seen the site after I turned off the accompanying link images and short descriptions. It looked like a web magazine before but you can kind of tell the content is from google news rss so I turned off the images and descriptions. And if you look at the drudge report website, it is also somewhat bland but it serves its purpose. Of course, 95% of the links on drudge are manually placed but if I could get a quarter of the traffic drudge gets I'd be happy.

But regardless of how I display the content, my main problem is the design falling apart in smaller browser windows. If you slowly drag your browser window to make it smaller while viewing the site, you'll see what I mean. The boxes move down and retain their shape. The content boxes do not stretch to conform neatly to the browser size. To do that, I would probably have to host the rss feed xml pages on my site and then put in the right css code to allow the division boxes to stretch nicely. But I am really not that good at css.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyamazing12 View Post
The interface looks a little crude to me.
Have you considered a more vibrant interface? Something with more color and a way to separate the stories more. Using more graphics would make stories more attract to read as well.
Thanks, simplyamazing. The point is, the drudge site is also somewhat bland yet it's a traffic magnet. I'm not saying I'm drudge or that I add content manually like drudge. I don't. But I'm trying to target the kind of visitor that would visit a drudge type site...someone who maybe works in the political industry and just needs a lot of different news from a lot of different sources and needs them fast and don't care too much about stuff that will slow down a web pages load time. However, I still debate about reinstating images and short descriptions for each link. I just want to do it with the right feeds that won't be so easily recognized as automatic content.

My real concern is the design breaking up in smaller browser sizes. I know this can probably be fixed but I'm not that good at css. I get frustrated and whenever I contact someone in order to buy a solution, whether it's a revamping of the code or a whole new script, they never email me back. So, idk.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Hi everyone.

I changed the url of the site because I bought a new script I am trying out but I am still working on the one mentioned in this thread. So if anyone still wants to critique my page, I moved it temporaily to thedailysearch.com/newssite.php

Check it out and let me know your thoughts. it's getting better by the day but I still have to tackle that box display issue in different browser sizes and resolutions. You can see what I mean by zooming in while viewing my page. The boxes to the right will move down below the boxes to the left. I am wondering if there's any way to fix that. I'm not sure there is because everyone's browser's zoom level is set differently. Seems almost impossible to fix.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 10-18-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Administrator

It is better as far as content is concerned than your original version.

You should read/watch this: Is it useful to have a section of my site that re-posts articles from other sites?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
It is better as far as content is concerned than your original version.

You should read/watch this: Is it useful to have a section of my site that re-posts articles from other sites?
Thanks for the video. I definitely see the point being made in the video. Although, I like to see it as mashing relevant content from different sources that otherwise would not be found on the same site. This will give the visitor with a particular interest one place to find that content rather than have them going all over the place to access it all. I am trying to target a particular political industry insider.

But I totally understand what you're saying and the traditional objections to reusing content. I admit i am blatantly ignoring the better wisdom of the day.

The Soviets had a saying that quantity has a quality all its own.

I am experimenting with my own philosophy: Copying has a uniqueness all its own.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM

You should work on content spacing and presentation, everything is way too bunched up which makes it difficult to read. Also, you have to give people a reason to visit your site over visiting a more prominent news source like CNN or BBC.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 PM

I don't think you will earn much from this website as google does not allow putting ads on such websites!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 AM

I'm with Mediworm... I don't think google accept you to adsense.
You will have to make a huge redesign and maybe think better about the need of a site like that.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

i don't care about google adsense.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 AM

Your site looks like a simple RSS aggregator with less touch of design. You need to improve the design of your site. Limit the feeds shown per category. You font size is also too small and hardly readable. Even your footer needs to be redesigned as well, maybe leave the about and contact links.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestack View Post
Your site looks like a simple RSS aggregator with less touch of design. You need to improve the design of your site. Limit the feeds shown per category. You font size is also too small and hardly readable. Even your footer needs to be redesigned as well, maybe leave the about and contact links.
Thanks for the feedback.

People have been complaining the site loads too slow. I am going to replace that template entirely soon with something better. I am working on it right now at a temporary url. Once it's done, I will launch it. Should be a day or two.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 AM

The site looks too monotonous. You can change the colouring a bit. You can also change the font size and style. And it does take time to load. Other than that its just good.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Your concept seems very interesting. I would like to know if you are making it in wordpress then there are different plug in available which can fetch news and related stuff directly to your website.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

It doesn't look right in FF 16.0.2. If you upgrade your FF, you will see. Just a recommendation is that search engines are big on unique contents. We've seen many sites get de-indexed for not having unique content.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Why Don't you redesign this site by a professional and Experienced Designer ?

Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosejoans View Post
Why Don't you redesign this site by a professional and Experienced Designer ?
Because i don't have the money for that....But I just had a new site installed today...

Everyone feel free to check it out and bookmark it if you like news.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Closed Thread