Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Banned

Which is more effective to target different countries?

One of my client need to target many countries through SEO so I am planning to purchase different country wise domains but I think sub domains of every keywords are very effective of one main domain. I am really confused please share your suggestion and knowledge. Which is more effective to target many countries?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRVaghela View Post
One of my client need to target many countries through SEO so I am planning to purchase different country wise domains but I think sub domains of every keywords are very effective of one main domain. I am really confused please share your suggestion and knowledge. Which is more effective to target many countries?

Inplace of purchasing different country wise domains, you should purchase one main domain with gTLD (Generic Top Level Domain) and target each country using subfolders.

For example,

If your main domain name is www.xyz.com and you want to target diverse countries such as austrailia, uk then target countries within the subfolders like www.xyz.com/Australia , www.xyz.comn/uk etc.

SEO treated diverse country wise domains as a separate domain, no matter for those names of the domains are the same hence each domain require different content, keywords, link development etc. that is very lengthy task as well as quite difficult to handle because for just only one business you would have to do the same thing again and again for different domain and in new way.

Refer this link for more details : http://www.apexinternet.co.nz/blog/international-seo-devil-in-the-detail/

Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 AM

dear sub domain is a great idea and it would help you effectively
we are also doing the same process at our client website who has more than 20 countries to target

Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Contributing Member

I think Melissa is right, but you may also wanna try doing a geo targetting, meaning you can make your website more visible to the countries you wanna target by doing also the citation.just a thought..

Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Contributing Member

If you use separate domain name for each country then you would have flexibility to do anything with this. In promotion, when you use directory submission, you may not be able to use sub domains with lots of directories, so it is hindrance in promotion.

With separate domain name your domain name would have higher ranking compared to sub-domain.

Anywhere you can advertise your domain name easily, even on business card, offline, flyer ads etc.

Last edited by MikeQ; 07-19-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Banned

You can promote your product in different countries by postings ads in different countries classifieds sites. you can also join the forums, submitting blogs of different countries.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

Create landing pages by targeting different countries, put quality content, do interlinking between each page and promote it through content marketing, press release, forum marketing, blogging. I think these are the best process for targeting different countries.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hey NRVaghela,

Choosing the right type of domains for a company wishing to have international presence really depends on what you plan to do with each of this country-specific sites. Here's an article from Moz that explains the different types of domains you can use: http://moz.com/blog/seo-guide-intern...ns-of-websites

Personally I'd go for subfolder since you get to keep all the "SEO juice" of your top-level domain. If you're looking to keep the same back-end architecture for all of your country-specific sites, using subfolders would make it simpler to manage. It saves you from buying all the country-specific domains as well.

- Aaron

Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM

Its practically very tough and costly to arrange country wise domain name and also you need to wait a lot to release your new domains to Google Sandbox.

So I do not this its a better idea...

Even if you want to target your website to different countries, you can make different subdomains or folders.. and can perform local SEO to get good ranking.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 AM

When you target different countries, the first thing you need is a tool to see how your site actually ranks in these countries. Linkassist's rank tracker is the only one to do that to my knowledge. You can even check how you rank in specific locations/cities.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Don't use a separate domain for each country. (is very expensive)

Use 1 domain, with a subfolder for each country.
Your homepage will gather trust and will give it through to the other pages.

By the way: If you use seperate domains, you don't have the advantage of link-juice.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTBoost View Post
Don't use a separate domain for each country. (is very expensive)

Use 1 domain, with a subfolder for each country.
Your homepage will gather trust and will give it through to the other pages.

By the way: If you use seperate domains, you don't have the advantage of link-juice.
I think what you mean here is the case when you target different countries with content in different languages. Like you have a French version and you target France and you have Portuguese for Portugal and Brazil. In this case a subfolder for each country would make sense.

But you may also target different locations with your English-language website. Then you just need one version (no subfolders for the US, the UK, Canada, Australia and such). As I've written previously, you just need accurate data on how people see your site in search results from different locations - and here's where you need software like rank tracker.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum