Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 AM
No Longer Active

Can You Help Me Find 100 Ways To Help Others?

Could you help me out with something? Too many times (no matter how much we want to) we think that we can't do for others because we simply can't afford it. Could you help me begin a list of idea for ways we can do good for others that cost absolutely nothing or no more than say $20? Don't forget the little things like ways to bring a smile to someone who needs it!

I would love to create a list with 100 ideas!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 AM
v7n Mentor

A lot of things we do every day that we don't even realize make a world of difference to people that we don't know.

As I am out, now keep in mind I don't live in a big metropolitan area but regardless of where I am I am continuously smiling at people. You know, those people that as your walking through the store are looking at you as you look around? Give them a nice short smile...you'll almost always get one back...Make sure it is a short friendly smile not a creepy stalker type of smile that may get the wrong response

There are scores of groups, clubs, businesses, and government agencies that are constantly holding programs, special events, or looking for ideas to support. Volunteer your time to helping out those churches, chambers of commerce, school groups, local groups like Lions Club, Rotary Club, and Kiwanas Clubs...just because they have a lot of members doesn't mean that every event has a lot of volunteers to help and I know that at least hear a smiling face and offer of help is never turned away. These groups are also usually looking for new ideas to implement to help around the community offer them, request that they be considered or discussed. Most schools and libraries have reading programs, mentor programs that need fresh faces and help, whether it is reading to the children or just coming up with new ideas. None of these cost money, just time, or support.

While military families whether the whole family is together or one is deployed usually stick together and support each other, what a lot of people don't think about is how much it means to each and every one of them when people from the community reaches out to them and makes them feel as part of the community. A simple plant, list of best shopping places, local places people enjoy, cookies or any type of welcoming gesture means the world to them. Heck start up an entire group of people that put their heads together and get lists of new families coming in and families getting ready to leave, the ones coming in give welcome and those getting transfered give a sorry to see you leave package

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

I recently went to Walmart to grab a few household items. There was a young man checking out, and a nice older couple after him, then me. Theguy paid and left without saying a word to anyone behind him in line. The checkout lady turned to the older couple and asked if they knew him. They said "no, never seen him in my life." Then she replied "Well, then it's your lucky day, he just gave me $20 to pay for your groceries." They were ecstatic. And the best part? Their groceries were literally $19.98 total.

We don't have to do or spend a lot to put a smile on a strangers face.
When going through a toll booth, hand the operator a $10 or $20 and tell her to put it towards the next few people who come after you. Buy a stranger's lunch at a fast food joint one day. Little things like that can just truly make a persons day. And it doesnt cost much at all.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

For less than $10 you can make your own brownie mix, bake a couple of 1/2 sheet pan sized brownies and take them to the local shelter. Call first, most will accept but some aren't allowed to do so.

Smiling and speaking nicely to anyone having a bad day is absolutely free.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGhost View Post
"Well, then it's your lucky day, he just gave me $20 to pay for your groceries."
A similar thing happened to me in the drive-through for coffee. When I got to the pay window, the woman said the car ahead of me paid my bill. Well, I smilled and said I'll pay for the car behind me. So, someone, somewhere in line of cars, decided to pay for the car behind them in line when they got to the "pay window". Then the car that got the free coffee and donut (or whatever) paid for the car behind them, and so on and so on.

It's difficult to say how long this sort of "pay it forward" had been going on or continued in that line of cars that day, and although it I may have paid more than what my bill actually would have been, it's a smile generator, just the same.

I'm sure sure it puts a pretty big smile on the face of all those who pull up to the the "pay window" just to find out the car ahead just paid the bill. Regardless, I make sure I do it whenever there's a police car or an EMT van in line somewhere behind me that has already ordered.

Last edited by LMD; 11-19-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 PM

Here's a free one that I did today. I have two small children and they have outgrown all of their winter clothes from last year. Today I met up with someone running a local homeless shelter and gave her a trash bag full of coats, hoodies, sweatshirts, and pants that were all still in great condition. I can't stand the thought of kids, or anyone, being cold!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Join a local non-profit social origination...
Moose, Elks, Eagles etc.....

Most of them have an endless list of people or groups that need help...
Razing money is limited by getting enough people to volunteer for the various fund raisers...

We have several dinners (mostly cook outs) every month....every penny of profit goes to charity....local charity...

We are currently putting together Thanksgiving bundles for 20 families...last year it was only 10.....

Two weeks ago we held a bike ride and auction...raised $5800 for local charities...

It is hard for one person to do alone....but 10 or 20....still hard work but the work is shared...

It is amazing what a dedicated "group" can accomplish....

We are in a small Florida town...with a small Eagles club....
It works.....

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

When you can't afford to give money, you can still give your time.
Many of us are experts at something or at least, very good at it.
Offer up your skills to those who need them.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
When you can't afford to give money, you can still give your time.
Many of us are experts at something or at least, very good at it.
Offer up your skills to those who need them.
We were having problems getting people to volunteer in our Lions Club, a lot of busy people not to mention have been members for a very long time so I am sure they have just gotten tired....

At the first meeting I was in charge of I explained that I understand we are all busy and can't make it to everything. But all of us know others, we have family and friends, know students or neighbors....those things that are going on that need volunteers and we know we can't be there for whatever reason, we can prompt others to go in our stead. Many students benefit from the experience and it also looks good on any college applications they fill out. That little nudge may spark a volunteer super star in waiting

Ever since those two first meetings our volunteer turnout has doubled

Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Another Idea...

When Hurricane Sandy hit New England not too long ago, it was getting really cold up there. I started asking around friends and family and putting out flyers for people to donate warm clothing items, essentials to live, and non-perishable food items. I also had some other people throw in money to help with shipping and I shipped a TON of stuff to Sandy charities and neighborhoods in the really bad areas. It was easy since I have several friends there that I could send to and trust they were put in the right hands.

Donating to those who need it, is always a great option to help out. I tend to prefer donating items to money. And of you do donate money, make sure it gets to the right hands.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

When you're in a drive thru buying food tell the cashier you're also paying for the car behind you, then pay for them. When the car behind you pulls up they'll be shocked somebody else paid for their food.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

one easy and free way of helping others is you can give valuable answers to the other seo's question on this forum so thousands of people can learn from you that how they can work on right path.

it will be helpful for the both side for you, it could be make you feel happy and probably increase traffic on this forum.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Could you help me out with something? Too many times (no matter how much we want to) we think that we can't do for others because we simply can't afford it. Could you help me begin a list of idea for ways we can do good for others that cost absolutely nothing or no more than say $20? Don't forget the little things like ways to bring a smile to someone who needs it!

I would love to create a list with 100 ideas!
First i would like to salute your way of thinking. Hope here my experience can help you somewhere. Here i have 3 best experience of my life and i am happy that i have done something good for the poor people

Quote:
1. When i was a college guy,we have started a club which is trying to help people who can not afford even 2 times bread, we helped them 1 time meal every weekend (but we can not afford it more than 4 months because of lots of people, and lack of money )
Then after
Quote:
2. Again we think something different and started to go and spend some money and time to those people who is either mentally retired or who don't have family and live in Orphanage or old people who lived in old age home. We make them smile, we appreciate them, we have given them some gifts. still our club members and i go there sometime and do something new for smile them and make them happy
Quote:
3. Now a days our club is working for the people who suffered from cancer, Unfortunately in my country (INDIA) has one of the highest cancer ratio in the world. So we help them as we can (especially Financially)

Old 12-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

In our city Ludhiana, as I read in a local newspaper, some people have made an organization to collect woolen clothes, gloves, sweaters, jackets, blankets etc from shops, houses and industries to distribute among the needy free of cost. Some famous garment brands of the city including 'Duke' have recently donated the organization several garments.
The organization is taking help of the local paper for collecting garments so that poor people can save their life from extreme cold. In India there are many rich people who are donating for free eating, clothes, drinking water at religious places and public places.
This is not an easy job to help others as it needed proper dedication, time and funds too. if you can afford it all then you can get success in this regard and i am sure that you will also get fame and government support for doing something good for others without any discrimination and personal benefits. I really appreciate your great thinking and ideas. God bless you.

Last edited by janecristy; 12-21-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Run a Marathon for charity... that's what my friend does!

Its hard, it get us off our computers.. and its great way to help other (well whatever charity you donations goto)

Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM

I believe giving some marketing coaching would benefit others. Maybe opinions on websites.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM

I know most of us don't have the time to volunteer regularly, but here's some things you can do just when you have a little extra time :

- Visit a nursing home. Call ahead to make sure your timing isn't bad, but they're usually ecstatic to have someone come in and just visit with the folks.

- Mow the grass or shovel snow off the driveway for disabled or elderly neighbors

- Contact a charitable organization and offer to design something for them - flyers, posters, or a small website

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, but its about making the time!..

I couldn't train for a marathon, but give a small amount to charity.
Or donate to homeles ppl beggin on the streets!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Call your mother, father, sister, etc. if they are alive and tell them that you love them (even if you don't)

Pet an animal.

Today my son in law brought me a cat to live on my property. The cat used to belong to his mom, a previous wife of my late husband (see, it's a complicated relationship already). The cat was told that he was too shy to be around people, but he could not stay where he used to stay. So, now I have a cat.

Granted, this cat squeezed into the corner, first thing he did when released from the pet carrier. But I checked on him a few times, and wow. He came up to me and started rubbing and purring. He wanted love!

Point being, just show your love when you have it in your heart. That might make someone's day. Or even save a life.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobefreeandhappy View Post
Call your mother, father, sister, etc. if they are alive and tell them that you love them (even if you don't)

Pet an animal.

Today my son in law brought me a cat to live on my property. The cat used to belong to his mom, a previous wife of my late husband (see, it's a complicated relationship already). The cat was told that he was too shy to be around people, but he could not stay where he used to stay. So, now I have a cat.

Granted, this cat squeezed into the corner, first thing he did when released from the pet carrier. But I checked on him a few times, and wow. He came up to me and started rubbing and purring. He wanted love!

Point being, just show your love when you have it in your heart. That might make someone's day. Or even save a life.
Haha great post... its all about doing the small things! first, the big things will follow right!?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby