Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 05-19-2005, 07:43 PM

Installing windows...

I'm attempting to install windows on my desktop. (I'm on my laptop now)

I just plugged in the harddrive and booted with the XP cd in the CD Drive and I get "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

Then it restarts and does it again.

I'm thinking this is bad, since it's been doing it for like 15 minutes now, what could be wrong here?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 07:50 PM

Update: If I take the CD out I get a media test failure...

Perhaps something is wrong with one of the cables connecting to my harddrive, I'll try playing around with those for a while.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM

What is the computer? New? Has it had a system on it before? Can you verify the CD?

Old 06-30-2005, 01:16 PM

Update on this, I really need windows back on this thing.

It had Windows, and right now it has Linux on it, but I'd like to have Windows back on it. It still does the same thing when I putt he CD in, but Linux is installed fine.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Old 06-30-2005, 02:17 PM

Did you partition the drive? I installed Linux on a Windows machine with partitioned drives, and when I wanted to get rid of Linux, I had to put the XP disk in to get a command prompt, and run a few commands that fixed the boot order (or something like that).

Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

you need to change the filesystem back to fat or ntfs

Old 07-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

If you have a 3.5 inch drive... try booting using the 6 floppies... If you don't have the source disks, you can download them at bootdisk dot com

This allows you to format/partition hard drives drives...

Your XP CD should be able to do this too, unless it's an upgrade disk or your computer isn't configured to boot from CD...

Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader of Men
I'm attempting to install windows on my desktop. (I'm on my laptop now)

I just plugged in the harddrive and booted with the XP cd in the CD Drive and I get "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..."

Then it restarts and does it again.

I'm thinking this is bad, since it's been doing it for like 15 minutes now, what could be wrong here?
Good Evening L o M.

I have had similer problems in the past. Microsoft has made XP to be used on one machine, unless it is a corporate edition. But you normally can reinstall up to about six times, then they expect you to phone india, and get another serial number etc.

I have had many arguements with that lot. They say, well where is the original computer, did you sell it Etc. No I tell them, I have just wiped my H/drive, and reinstalled etc. Just like I have many times with 98se.

So I gather that XP, leaves a mark on your h/drive, and that is where your trouble lies, it is not re-installing, to stop copy pirating.

Now, I got over this by doing a clean install, which means a new hard drive, with no codes imprinted on the drive. And then I get no install problems, but, beware, upgrades, or just plain XP, is a rip/off.

They expect you to buy a new copy, and not use your old copy.

You will find after installing service pack two. And you wipe your drive again, you will have trouble.

If you can, get a copy of XP Pro, corporate edition, and that will solve all your problems, especially with a new clean install.

If you do not want to go to all this trouble, and still use your old hard/drive, in your old computer, or any computer, install windows 98 se, instead, it is still a good operating system, and very versatile.

If you get 98se full edition. remember to go to your bios first, and select your CD rom, as first boot device. Then as it starts, it will ask you to reformat, do that, and then it will wipe out whats on your drive, and install 98 for you.

Then reinstall all the rest of your sofware...........Ranger.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Great info .. thanks Ranger.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the help Ranger, maybe I'll just buy another hard drive.

Old 07-15-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader of Men
Thanks for the help Ranger, maybe I'll just buy another hard drive.
Good Evening L o M.

Its difficult writing it all down on a board. So I will try to cut it down to simple terms. When you first install XP, there is no problem at all, even installing service pack two. But when you wipe windows of your drive to reinstall, if you have [ prior, to wiping, installed service pack two,] it just will not re-install. I believe Microsoft have placed a code on your drive, to stop you again installing the first xp again. You get things like checking out to install etc, then it fails to kick off, the instalation.

I honestly believe, service pack two, stops you reinstalling your XP again.

I have bollocked those at Microsoft, all over the world, [ you never know what country you will end up in trying to get fair play from Bill Gates,] [You would think he is short of money or something.] saying I own the copy, paid for honestly, this they agree; may be so, so they give you another serial number, but even that means, install it correctly the first time with the new number, or go through the whole hassle again.

I know your problem, is not your computer, it is XP that is your problem.

Now you already know this; and remember, they want you to activate in about thirty days, once you have activated, that is when they mark your drive.

So, listen good, get a copy of XP corporate, with that edition, you do not need to activate. And that will solve all your problems.

But, even that edition, will stop you putting on XP again, if you install service pack two. Its service pack two, that kills re-installs.

This can only be corrected, with a new hard drive. A fresh install, so to speak.

Luckily, hard drives are pretty cheap. But like I said, with corporate, you do not activate that one.

So this is why I say install 98se and use that edition, it will save you cash and hassle. And its less likely to be hacked, than XP. You can install seperate firewalls, you do not need microsofts firewall.

Good Luck L o M, and shoot bill gates if you see him, the greedy illegitimate.

Last edited by ranger; 07-15-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby