Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Is it worth it ?

Hi,

I'm running a forum (simple machines forum) - more specifically a gaming forum for a racing game. Not official forum, just made for a specific purpose of the game.
The forum, gets a decent pageviews per day.
For month of November, 20,000-30,000 (I noticed that towards the end of the month, around final projects and final exams it has dropped to low 20k's)
total pageviews for month November = 640354
total unique visitors for November = 16553

Now, why I was wondering, its a gaming forum, with people that gamers.. most of them are pretty smart, so they dont click on ads much, maybe by mistake.. haha

I've been considering adding adsense, however would it be worth it for a gaming forum. I know some of you would tell me.. "How about you try and find out" however, if any of you have any experience with this, let me know.

I wouldn't mind making some money and expending the forum, maybe a few game servers, ventrillo.. etc.
But I would mind if I would loose many members and not make some money.

Any wisdom-filled comments ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbunyun View Post
Hi,

I'm running a forum (simple machines forum) - more specifically a gaming forum for a racing game. Not official forum, just made for a specific purpose of the game.
The forum, gets a decent pageviews per day.
For month of November, 20,000-30,000 (I noticed that towards the end of the month, around final projects and final exams it has dropped to low 20k's)
total pageviews for month November = 640354
total unique visitors for November = 16553

Now, why I was wondering, its a gaming forum, with people that gamers.. most of them are pretty smart, so they dont click on ads much, maybe by mistake.. haha

I've been considering adding adsense, however would it be worth it for a gaming forum. I know some of you would tell me.. "How about you try and find out" however, if any of you have any experience with this, let me know.

I wouldn't mind making some money and expending the forum, maybe a few game servers, ventrillo.. etc.
But I would mind if I would loose many members and not make some money.

Any wisdom-filled comments ?
Some people get the "ad blindness" thing and you are right, some may avoid the adsense ads but sometimes they still click on the ads if it's interesting to them. You can still use adsense for fill in empty space on your forum.

Have you thought about creating a premium membergroup on your forum with access to certain forum features and other goodies? You get a lot of views so i'm thinking that you could do something special for a premium member group to get members to pay for it. I'm not really a gamer but perhaps have another section for cheat codes, use of certain forum features...etc

I hope you can figure out what i mean by a premium member group. You never know, adsense could be a good money maker on your forum. Think positive thoughts.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Hi snakeair - Thanks for your input.

The thing is, I am not offering any services on the forum. Its just there to 'talk'
I would say
60% are under 18
30% are under 25
10% over 25, or really really young.. haha

I know that the forum audience would not bite a membership fee.
I have around ~3000 members, out of which only around 300-500 are decently active, and I would say another 500 that visit once week or month.

But I know premium membership would just add to an excuse to move to a competitor's forum.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM

You might want to consider Amazon......should have some products to interest gamers....

Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Some of the big game sites offer affiliate programs - I won't post the links here as I don't want to promote them I know a few programs that offer a complete game site which can easily be installed into a directory on your Web site. I recommend you to try embedding such an affiliate game site or just affiliate links and banners of the game sites into your forum and see how it converts. If you need the exact URLs of the game sites please PM me.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo SQP View Post
Some of the big game sites offer affiliate programs - I won't post the links here as I don't want to promote them I know a few programs that offer a complete game site which can easily be installed into a directory on your Web site. I recommend you to try embedding such an affiliate game site or just affiliate links and banners of the game sites into your forum and see how it converts. If you need the exact URLs of the game sites please PM me.
thanks, could you send some in PM?
says i have to make at least 7 more posts, and i dont wanna spam the site and get in troubles..

thanks in advance

Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

i have a game blog too, and using adsense on it
I will say many of them are clicking on the ads, more than 5% if you use image ads only
However, dont expect too much on the CPC, normally you will get low CPC

Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 AM

I think you using CPM programe, it good for gamer website.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

You can work with adsense because they have advertisers on this niche.However you also can work with clickbank and try to find some products that the gamers may prefer to buy.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Some people get the "ad blindness" thing and you are right, some may avoid the adsense ads but sometimes they still click on the ads if it's interesting to them. You can still use adsense for fill in empty space on your forum.

Have you thought about creating a premium membergroup on your forum with access to certain forum features and other goodies? You get a lot of views so i'm thinking that you could do something special for a premium member group to get members to pay for it. I'm not really a gamer but perhaps have another section for cheat codes, use of certain forum features...etc

I hope you can figure out what i mean by a premium member group. You never know, adsense could be a good money maker on your forum. Think positive thoughts.
I'd also suggest coming up with some type of premium or VIP section. I know a site where, while yes the forum is very popular so a ton of hits/uniques, he makes a ton from that alone. (I've done the calculations, money you could live of off!)

Also, as a gamer myself, I've seen those amazon ads and if I had money to spare I would probably have checked a few things out; it's a good target for gamers IMO.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM

can i get alink to learn more about amazon thing u guys are talking about?

Old 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbunyun View Post
can i get alink to learn more about amazon thing u guys are talking about?
Here is the official amazon link to look at. http://www.amazon.com/

To join there affilaite program or just to learn more about it, visit this link. https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/

It's free to signup as a affiliate and to promote amazon products. About a week ago, i put up a amazon widget on my blog. I've got some clicks but no sales yet. The past 2 holidays that just passed did me no good because my traffic is down 50%.

It will go back up in the next few days so i am hoping to make a sale or two. I do have some idea's i want to try out to make some money with amazon but i'm still brain storming and it's moving very slow. lol

Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Banned

Gaming software,consoles,Audio,video equipments from Amazon.

Although if the CTR of your site is low ,this affiliate links will provides decent income.By experimenting the progress you can expect more income in future.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member

In most of serious affiliate network you will find different affiliate programs related to gaming, I am sure if you do everything right you can make a decent reveniew from your gaming forum.
Good luck to you!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue