Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Dedicated Servers Dedicated server help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

The other thing I was thinking about dedicated servers is with them you cannot increase the memory, disk size that quickly as you can with VPS.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM
v7n Mentor

True, though by definition the VPS is only a part of a server, so it'll be less powerful compared to most dedicated servers. I suppose this is where the cloud fans would come in to tell that that we're all discussing old stuff.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Adding resource to VPS is only easy because the resources are available on the node it has been setup. If there is no free resource on the node, it might take more time to upgrade the resources than on Dedicated Server.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not exactly adding anything new here with my opinion, but after working on shared hosts for a long time, going to a dedicated server is a breath of fresh air. Admittedly, you have to have some UNIX skills (usually, unless you're running on a windows host which isn't all that rare I suppose), but the payoff is immense. Your site is almost always faster, and if you do anything involving dynamic code and databases (which is arguably 99.99999% of the net), you'll welcome it.

Just for PHP sites alone, being able to install PECL/PEAR modules, modify the php.ini directly, add additional vhosts and adjust the httpd.conf file for Apache and my.ini file for MySQL is insanely useful. It's especially hard using shared sites when you need to work with third party provided SDKs or APIs that involve open_basedir restrictions or other things.

If you have the capital and you anticipate your site ever needing some real power, I'd strongly suggest going dedicated as soon as it is feasible to do so.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
True, though by definition the VPS is only a part of a server, so it'll be less powerful compared to most dedicated servers. I suppose this is where the cloud fans would come in to tell that that we're all discussing old stuff.
VPS is just a virtulazied part of a dedicated server. Even if you have access to a server like environment the performance of server will be very less comparing to a dedicated server.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Dedicated Servers

Closed Thread