Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
The Controversial Coder

Thumbs down Mods: Do you ever get extremely disillusioned?

An off-topic question that seemed to fit here better than anywhere else. Do you ever get extremely disillusioned with the continious rigors of being a moderator on such a massive forum?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

We may get moved together but I thought your question deserved a reply.

Actually I don't. When I have an off day I follow the advice Mama gave when I started; I just don't mod, I enjoy the forum like any other member.

Being a mod has made me very much aware of how lonely it could be starting a new forum that had any traffic. The Spammers are like cock roaches; kill one and 10 replace it.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
No Longer Active

There are moments (sometimes days) when I feel like a hammer, and everyone looks like a nail. When that happens, it is a good sign that I have spent too much time moderating and not enough time having fun interacting and helping others. I am usually able to turn it around by remembering the person on the other side of the monitor. When that doesn't work, I do what Colby mentioned. I put down the hammer and go back to interacting with people and having some fun.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
v7n Mentor

There are times that're better than others, but as a general rule when it comes to spammers and headaches... "tis better to give than to receive".

Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Before this forum i was a global moderator on a support board for a remotley hosted forum. I was helping the admin do the support on peoples forums and got more then enough headaches in that time span. I got used to seeing the same thing done over and over again and tend to not let things get to me. I'm a clam snake and hardley ever bite.

On large forums you tend to get folks joining who have never joined a forum before and don't know that following the rules on a large forum is the only way you will not get warned or banned.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:10 PM
v7n Mentor

I love modding on a forum that is so hugely diverse and covers so many subjects. Problem is that i probably spend more time looking, reading and learning, than i actually do in moderating

I think a lot of the fun is also due to the commaradie and banter that takes place, as many of the community members enjoy a laugh, as do the Mod Team.

I can put up with new members making mistakes and i have no issues in teaching people....i can also handle the blatant spammers, the ones that you handle by banning immediately. What i cant handle is the Members that know better, but do something to push your button and wind you up......sometimes its hard to remain civil.

All in all it is a very good lesson in communications with people of all levels.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 PM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
What i cant handle is the Members that know better, but do something to push your button and wind you up......sometimes its hard to remain civil.
I am guilty of this - although I try to remain quiet now if I am in a bad mood, however in the past I was just wind people up because I was having a bit of man-PMS.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

I'm glad to find this topic, I'm promoted as a Level 1 Moderator in an exclusive Pinoy (Filipino) community.
I passed the moderator training and begun moderating this past few weeks. I experience spammers, fluff posts, flooding posts, flame posts, non-sense topics and topic places on wrong forum.
I did moderate those to the best of my knowledge, however, the Level 5 moderator (admin, and who trained me) find my moderation strict and not appropriate, leading to re-open my closed threads, editing and deleting my replies and like saying my moderation are all going wrong. I wanna step out of that community, it's unfair coz I've been moderating for more than 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, passed the moderator training. I feel shame for myself, I dunno why it turned out I was wrong.
The admin is restoring all my alleged wrong moderation as to date. Right now I feel desperate to quit and leave to the inactive moderators the job they intended to do.

It really made me feel bad coz my effort is useless to them.

Note that our population is now more than 655,677 and having new registration of about 5 per day and having active members of more than one thousand, and increasing every weekend. I handle the most populated and run to forums, so it really made me feel pity for myself.

Any advice you could give is high appreciated.

Last edited by MrSS; 10-23-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 PM
v7n Mentor

IMO, thank them for the opportunity and politely walk away from the task. Theres a different level of tolerance in every forum, but the admin has to make the call in his/hers. You gave it a shot, so dont lose sleep over it.

As for moderating 12 hours at a stretch... good way to lose sanity. Dont let a volunteer job own you.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks sir robjones, will do that. That forums is so tolerant, they allow copy-paste, multi-posting and other, they say it's not destructing the community so it's fine. I'm only waiting for reply about the progress of my moderated items and will let go.

Correct, time for me to focus on what I should really do. I spent much time doing voluntary work still less appreciated.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Well, heck, everyone knows no good deed goes unpunished. Volunteering is often the best way to prove it. Sometimes a volunteer gig is a fit, sometimes it isn't.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

That's why I opt to step out. I can't believe my co-Filipino will let me down.
Surely there are more volunteers will come, better than me.
Thank you so much.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Easy for someone else to say "dont worry about it"... but it's still worth saying. You obviously cared about what you were doing, but all mods struggle with the balance between moderation and over-moderation. The admin has to make the call where that line is for their community, and if where they draw the line doesnt work for your threshold, moving on is the logical move. Otherwise you'd lose it.

Doesn't even mean they're right or wrong, just means you dont agree and theyre the one that's responsible for deciding. Its like boot camp... the sergeant isnt always right, but he's always the sergeant. Dont take it personally. I doubt it's intended as a slight.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

You are really full of sensible thoughts, you really rock!

I can't say nothing else, I'm relieved now. Thank you, thank you very much.
That's why I like here in v7n, I can talk to pro and learn from them, you belong to those.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM

I started in the "cop" business in 1967 or so.......
Took a long time to learn to step back and really take some time off....

No one person can change the world........maybe help somewhat.....

One person can also help with a big forum........
A brick house is built one brick at a time....))

Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Sir Jim Gillum,
Correct, no one person can change the world, helping to make a change will do more. That makes sense.
Thanks for making me realize I've been part to make that community built. (That's what I've understand)

Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

There is hardly anything new I can add to what the others have said. I fully agree that stepping away is the proper action for you in this case.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I've did this for many years, i just walk away when i know that i'm not my usual self on the forum. (I was a moderator on another forum before i joined here)

All i did was answer support questions in the support forum, a few times i was ready to flip out because i was seeing the same stuff over and over and over and over again... So walking away from the forum or even the computer was the fix for me and still is the fix for me.

Although, if i make it on the 10o'clock news, you know this moderator went off the deep end.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management