Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 09-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Individualist

Any DMOZ editors here?

I have some questions. If you are a DMOZ editor please raise your hand.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 04:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Hello John,

I am a Meta Editor in DMOZ and please feel free to ask anything that you wish to know and I will assist you as much as i can.

Please bear in mind that there are certain things I am not allowed to discuss or comment upon.

Feel free to go ahead

Old 10-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Individualist

I am having a difficult time finding a category to list japanaesecar.org. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi John.

Im looking at the url but i cant get the site up, meaning i cant see what it is about. That makes it impossible to give you an opinion. If you can pm when it's back on line i will check it out.

If i can't help i will ask some other Editors for an opinion.

Cheers.

@ KarenByerly

Quote:
Hey Snooks, I have submitted my sites about years ago. But not get any response or anything yet. Can you please tell me how to get listed there?
There is no secret to getting the sites listed it is simply a case of making sure that they comply to the guidelines, then suggesting them. The waiting period is anywhere between 1 day and many years so i am afraid that i can only suggest checking every 6 or 12 months and hoping.

You could also consider applying to be an Editor for that category. There is no issue as long as you treaat all sites equally and declare every affiliation you have. That may well be a good resolution for both parties and Editing is great fun...... You should consider this option

Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Individualist

PM sent.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Go to the page of the category you wish to edit and down the bottom there should be a "Volunteer To Edit" link or similar. Simply follow the instructions, the two mist important things:
  1. Declare any affiliated sites
  2. Be honest in the application
Good Luck

Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Sir Snooks,

i tried many time for my sites to be indexed on dmoz but never ever seen any positive result in this regard. i have submitted my business website on dmoz few weeks ago but still not see any thing positive, could you please tell me if it fulfill the guidelines of dmoz?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekUrdu View Post
Hi Sir Snooks,

i tried many time for my sites to be indexed on dmoz but never ever seen any positive result in this regard. i have submitted my business website on dmoz few weeks ago but still not see any thing positive, could you please tell me if it fulfill the guidelines of dmoz?
Here is a question for you: How do you think that any directory (not just DMOZ) should treat those sites that do not comply with the guidelines that they agreed to when they sumitted?

When you say "tried many time", then why did you break the guidelines about submitting only once that you agreed to? How do you think you deserve to be treated after spamming DMOZ with more than one "try'?

Old 10-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Geez, I wonder how many rules that persons website has broken so far. '

Quote:
An editor will review your suggestion to determine whether to include it in the Directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of suggestions to the particular category, response time can vary dramatically. Please only suggest a site to the Directory once. Multiple suggestions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites.
http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Old 10-22-2016, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Sir Snooks,

i tried alot to index my domain in dmoz but it seems i failed, could you please help me by looking the website if it fulfill the dmoz standards. thank you in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
Here is a question for you: How do you think that any directory (not just DMOZ) should treat those sites that do not comply with the guidelines that they agreed to when they sumitted?

When you say "tried many time", then why did you break the guidelines about submitting only once that you agreed to? How do you think you deserve to be treated after spamming DMOZ with more than one "try'?
well sir, i tried many times doesnt meant that i did that for one site. i try for all my sites but.. i hope it clears the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Geez, I wonder how many rules that persons website has broken so far. '

http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html
i told earlier, i wasn't try this for one site.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-22-2016 at 02:53 AM.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Does you website meet each any every editorial guideline that Dmoz requires?

If so, then submit once and never submit it again. Nothing you can do to make it get approved. It's up to the editor in that one category that you submitted a listing for.

i'd suggest you view Snoops profile and read all the replies he has given about Dmoz as you might learn something about why it's not approved. Could take a year or not.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

hmm thanks for your kind advise, i will definitely do this.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi GeekUrdu

It really is good advise from Birdie and Snakeair, so perhaps read these Suggestion Guidelines

Now you will know yourself if the site complies with then guidelines or if it doesnt. If it does not comply, then fix it before you suggest it because if you dont it is simply a waste of time.

If the site does comply and you are not yet listed then you can only be patient because the waiting period is anywhere from days to many years. Suggesting the site again is the worst thing that you can do because it overwrites the date stamp and that is not good at all

I am afraid that I cannot look at your site, it would be unfair to everyone else that has suggested a site and is still waiting.......

Like we always say, "Suggest the site, forget about DMOZ and then move along and promote it by other means". Hopefully one day you get a nice surprise

Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Hi GeekUrdu

I am afraid that I cannot look at your site, it would be unfair to everyone else that has suggested a site and is still waiting.......
Hi Sir, Thank you for your reply, i am not requesting to check my website and make it searchable in dmoz. i just want to know if its submitted correctly then i will wait for Years as You Advised.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
i just want to know if its submitted correctly then i will wait for Years as You Advised.
If you checked that the site complies with the listing guidelines and if you suggested it by following the suggestion rules and prompts, then it has been suggested properly and there is nothing else that you can do.

Remember that you are SUGGESTING a site and that DMOZ does not provide a listing service for web masters. Your site may be reviewed in time to come but there is no guarantee of inclusion so as i said, forget about it and move on because ANYTHING YOU DO will only be to the detriment of your site.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Suggesting the site again is the worst thing that you can do because it overwrites the date stamp and that is not good at all
That's good info and reading your post helps us all know that DMOZ is being updated.

Thank you

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread