Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 AM

When Started Domz?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 02:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg2017 View Post
When Started Domz?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMOZ

Old 05-27-2017, 05:37 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
It's amazing how such a complex effort is being coordinated on a global scale. Do you editors ever meet up in person/have video calls or does this entire effort take place through written communication?
There has been numerous meetups over the years, they are very common in UK and USA. I am located in Australia so it is a bit remote for most Editors. Spsrt from planned meetups, all coomunications are via the internal forums.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah! Its about 10 years too late. Really DMoz should have closed its doors a long time ago.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPunter View Post
Yeah! Its about 10 years too late. Really DMoz should have closed its doors a long time ago.
Why, exactly, should they have done that??

Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM
v7n Mentor

Sounds to me like a site owner who could not get their site listed or an exeditor that was removed. Otherwise why would anyone bother to say a site should have closed 10 years ago. If you did not like the site you did not need to go near it, if you did not want their description then blame Google and they gave no-odp. So unless the op has some sort of grips, and I have named the usual two, why would they waste their time?

The site is still being worked on and we editors have not yet had access to it, so we cannot tell you anymore at present.

Some changes will happen straight away and some will evolve as we work out as editors what we want, rather than as AOL owned editors.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPunter View Post
i don't think anybody is using web directory nowadays they are now piece of history but i think they should leave it as it is if that not costing them too much money to maintain just to showcase the history.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
The only reason my friends liked DMOZ is that they could brag there business was listed on there when they sold some of there business's.

I can not understand why they are not selling the directory. It could be a lucrative sales price if someone wanted to continue the project and add there own touch to it.

I guess they don't see the directory as a money maker if it was put on the market.
I guess selling it would blow the cover of the original pretense that it was never of any value and just a matter of innocent passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angad View Post
i don't think anybody is using web directory nowadays they are now piece of history but i think they should leave it as it is if that not costing them too much money to maintain just to showcase the history.
I don't remember a time people used web directories to search for sites. Maybe GoGuides at one point, but that would have been almost 20 years ago.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 PM
v7n Mentor

Many of the editors and the whole of the directory are back up and working at https://curlie.org/ accepting new sites and seeking new editors. If you have a site to offer, go over and add it and if you fancy editing the largest human edited directory on the net, then you will find how to apply there too.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues