Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum

Domain Name Forum Discuss or get help with domain name issues. Ask for suggestions, etc.

Share |
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Lightbulb Domain Name Suggestion-Your Expert Opinion Matters

I have been contemplating a while to know which is better approach to have SINGLE DOMAIN or MULTIPLE DOMAIN for online business venture:

1) I am quoting this classic example to underline my example on two successful similar india website(bharatmatrimony.com & shaadi.com) to understand which is better Approach from SEO & Branding perspective .
Bharatmatrimony.com is main website which allows User to navigate to specific website (Not sure you call them sub-domain) based on the User language their choose like punjabi, kannada, marathi etc for eg: Punjabimatrimony.com,Kannadamatrimony.com ,marathimatrimony.,parsimatrimony.com etc where as their competitor shaadi.com used only one domain to support all the User language matrimony where as we understand that Bharatmatrimony.com market share is bigger than shaadi.com though success of a online venture can have multiple factor but does this approach is Key factor in bharatmatrimony.com success. Personally as User myself on these matrimony website, I feel more comfortable when I choose Specific language base matrimony (Bharatmatrimony.com) rather than going to generic website and then choose language.
Is this Approach of having different domain website of each language separately under Bharatmatrimony.com helped them to build more traffic and hence Add members in 2014 SEO context unlike their competitor shaadi.com used only one domain to support all the User language matrimony. Please provide Pro's and Con's from SEO ,Branding, Effort perspective to maintain multiple websites.

2) If the Answer is "YES" to above question to follow Bharatmatrimony.com Does the domain name should be KEYWORD RICH always from SEO Perspective .
As you know, we have herculean task to have multiple domain and follow consistent sub domain naming pattern is difficult at this point as most of these keyword rich domain names have been taken or blocked .Can we take domain name following some prefix (like e) .Will this prrefix/suffix to keyword deter from SEO & branding perspective . will adding prefix or suffix to all sub domain will impact the SEO & branding.

Just quoting below example to illustrate the compromise we are making to identify sub domain names.
We will have eBharatmatrimony.com is main website which allows User to navigate to specific website based on their language their choose for eg: ePunjabimatrimony.com,eKannadigamatrimony.com (not ekannadamatrimony.com since this domain is already taken-though kannada is more rich keyword but to maintain consistent with other sub domain to follow ,emarathiimatrimony (Again compromised on keyword marathi as marathii).eparsematrimony.com (not parsi).

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Domain Name Forum