Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
v7n Mentor

Freedom of religion? Apparently not.

Two schoolboys were given detention after refusing to kneel down and 'pray to Allah' during a religious education lesson.

Parents were outraged that the two boys from year seven (11 to 12-year-olds) were punished for not wanting to take part in the practical demonstration of how Allah is worshipped.

They said forcing their children to take part in the exercise at Alsager High School, near Stoke-on-Trent - which included wearing Muslim headgear - was a breach of their human rights.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ray-Allah.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Thats a total disgrace, i hope the teacher is removed from their position, anyone who feels this behaviour is ok, is not fit to be in teaching.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe the school should be renamed Al-Sagar?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 AM
Contributing Member

This is the danger with religion, they like the brain washing to begin at an early age, we need to protect our children from such things. Whilst i see value in educating children about religion and certainly its dangers, thats as far as it should go in schools.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Easy solution, let it blow over and then make them all pray to the Christian God so that they can widen their knowledge and understanding of him and then lets see what the other parents do..

It was a lesson and the teacher was trying to give the students an understanding of this religion which is fair enough but punishing them for not wanting to follow.... Ok, thats taking it a bit too far.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 AM

Well, religion could be taught at schools as part of a subject or something e.g. History, Social/Political Science, to make students understand more about things concerning religion and other issues in our lives.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
It was a lesson and the teacher was trying to give the students an understanding of this religion which is fair enough but punishing them for not wanting to follow.... Ok, thats taking it a bit too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
Well, religion could be taught at schools as part of a subject or something e.g. History, Social/Political Science, to make students understand more about things concerning religion and other issues in our lives.
I think there's a very distinct difference between teaching children/individuals about other religions, and forcing them to practice other religions.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m42 View Post
I think there's a very distinct difference between teaching children/individuals about other religions, and forcing them to practice other religions.
Indeed. The quoted news isn't just right.

Well, on the first place, if that school was meant for Muslim students then the parents didn't supposed to enroll their children in there. Otherwise, a teacher has no right at all to force and punish children of not following to praise Allah as they don't know what and who is Allah.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

I always thought teachers were suppose to teach, much like a reporter is supposed to report. Fair and unbiased. Why would a teacher make these kids bow down in an example instead of just showing a picture book? Something about this sounds very odd. I would like to know how this overall lesson got into the curriculum unchallenged as it is.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Smile

well, i will first answer your question. in this case i think that we go to school to learn. we do not go to school to worship. teaching children about Allah in the classroom is not a sunday school service. it is no different from learning mathematics in the Classroom and hence any student who refuses to obey the instructions should be punished accordingly. After learning how to worship Allah you can decide not to serve Allah and nobody cares about that but learning how to worship Allah is just a classroom lesson you must partake!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
xo mudslide

if the teacher was really serious, she should've just had the other students stone the ones that wouldn't bow. duh.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo View Post
if the teacher was really serious, she should've just had the other students stone the ones that wouldn't bow. duh.
LOL!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Easy solution, let it blow over and then make them all pray to the Christian God so that they can widen their knowledge and understanding of him and then lets see what the other parents do..
It's funny, because you bring up a good point. I could only imagine the backlash if that were to happen!
I wonder how all the other parents felt when they found this out...

Old 08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria1 View Post
well, i will first answer your question. in this case i think that we go to school to learn. we do not go to school to worship. teaching children about Allah in the classroom is not a sunday school service. it is no different from learning mathematics in the Classroom and hence any student who refuses to obey the instructions should be punished accordingly. After learning how to worship Allah you can decide not to serve Allah and nobody cares about that but learning how to worship Allah is just a classroom lesson you must partake!
I'm sorry but I so have to disagree with you on this. I went to school before religion was completely removed from it. We said the Lords Prayer etc in school. Those that did not practice the same religion simply did not participate, some even left the room depending on their desires. That is how it should be in my opinion still, you are free to practice as you wish.

However, back to the point, to force a christian, or an atheist, or an agnostic, or a Jewish person, to bow down even as part of a lesson of school, or in mockery is beyond wrong. It's against the individual's religion to do so. Especially in the case of thee Jewish people. That would be just as bad as attempting to force a Muslim to worship(act like or pretend) to the Jewish god, or Christian Jesus/God. It's a violation of their being and is wrong.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olman View Post
It's funny, because you bring up a good point. I could only imagine the backlash if that were to happen!
I wonder how all the other parents felt when they found this out...
Exactly.... Punish Christian children for not following and the teacher will have his wrist slapped.

Turn it the other way and punish muslim children for not doing it and the teacher would probably be shot....

Don't you just love a peaceful faith

Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, and here is why I believe religion should be taught in schools and how religious classes should be taught...

Enjoy........

Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Banned

actually people r free to express their opinion ! you should not bound anyone for any purpose!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Ok, and here is why I believe religion should be taught in schools and how religious classes should be taught...

Enjoy........
LOL!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
It was a lesson and the teacher was trying to give the students an understanding of this religion which is fair enough
No, its not fair enough, at school i was taught about Hitler, but i wasnt told by my teacher to shoot or gas anyone, let alone punished for not doing so. I also learnt about all sorts of other stuff, but wasnt told forced to practise it. This was not a lesson ABOUT religion.

Religion is a part of society and as such some time should be given to educate our kids about others belief system, BUT this is not an opportunity for teachers to stuff religion down our kids necks.

Funny link though, lol

Last edited by Nobby; 08-27-2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Nobby dude, if you are going to quote my post then please quote it all and not just a part as that makes it sound like I am saying one thing for another..
Quote:
I was also taught WWII at school and the atrocities the Nazis did (fair enough to be taught it I would say) but no, I was not forced to go test out their methods and gas people either.

If someone wants to teach me about another faith then fine, I am open to learning but my argument is that if someone wants to punish me for not following things the way this faith does things then NO, that is not fair enough.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues