Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 02-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Administrator

SEOs Need 4 Months to a Year for SEO Changes & Ranking Improvement

Did your Mom tell you "Patience is a virtue"? Well you need some patience when owning a website or blog to see results.

For those who missed it, memodorial started a thread How to hire SEO which featured Google's Maile Ohye (who has since left Google).

If you didn't watch or listen carefully you might have missed Maile saying:
Quote:
In most cases, the SEO will need four months to a year to help your business first implement improvements and then see potential benefit.
Quote:
...Many site owners want results fast, but those are sometimes unrealistic if those sites don’t want to have spam issues further down the road, but site owners inexperienced with any kind of SEO might not realize “I want rankings in 2 weeks” is unrealistic in all but the most uncompetitive markets and will likely result in either a algorithmic demotion or manual action.

There are a ton of spammier SEOs that offer “guarantees” that sites will begin ranking higher within days or weeks, but often this means either using aggressive spam techniques or paying for those “rankings” via Google AdWords...
Google: SEOs Need 4 Months to a Year for SEO Changes & Ranking Improvement

Your results may turn out to be different from the 4 month to a year statement above but there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Are you searching for yourself while logged in at Google?
    If you surf while logged in at Google (or Bing) they track what sites you like to visit so of course they are going to show you your site because you visit it regularly.

• Are you clearing your browser cache before testing?
    If your browser cache is not cleared before you test the search engine is going to use it's cookie and your browser history to fetch previous information.

• Are you searching from your home/office?
    The search engines use your location to filter the results and present what they think is the best match for the search. If you trying for a global ranking or city specific search you have to try the search from other locations.

• Are you checking a low competition longer keyword phrase?
    If you have decided to check a longer keyword phrase that has low competition you may see that your site is right up there on page 1 of the results but... is your target audience searching for this?

• Is your site new?
    When a site is new and you search for yourself you may find that you are there on page 1 then it disappears. This is because your site is new and after the search engines have assessed your site a bit better you get moved to where you belong in the search results.

• How long after your changes are you testing?
    And back to the patience thing... Did you make the changes yesterday, last week, a month ago? It takes time for the search engines to index your changes across their many data centers. Also, as discussed in this thread: The Myth of the Google Update you and everyone else are making changes to try and improve your ranking. The indexes are in constant change. Your competition is watching their rankings also and when they notice you are kicking their butt they make changes which sends the whole index into change again...

So there you have it. Reasons you need to listen to Mom and have some patience while waiting for your site to rise to page 1 of the search results.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, White SEO takes approx. 6-12 months to improve a new site ranking in Google.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by auraiyaits View Post
Yes, White SEO takes approx. 6-12 months to improve a new site ranking in Google.
That's all the comments you have after reading the blog post and our admin's advice?

Where you get the 6 to 12 months from?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
[*]Are you searching for yourself while logged in at Google?
If you surf while logged in at Google (or Bing) they track what sites you like to visit so of course they are going to show you your site because you visit it regularly.
I use incognito mode when searching for myself so that it gets around this problem

Quote:
[*]Are you clearing your browser cache before testing?
If your browser cache is not cleared before you test the search engine is going to use it's cookie and your browser history to fetch previous information.
I used to think that incognito takes care of this problem too, but it doesn't. So clearing the cache is definitely needed. Alternatively, one could use incognito mode all the time when searching, so that nothing gets stored in the cache.

Quote:
[*]Are you searching from your home/office?
The search engines use your location to filter the results and present what they think is the best match for the search. If you trying for a global ranking or city specific search you have to try the search from other locations.
I use Opera's in-built VPN to get around this.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Did your Mom tell you "Patience is a virtue"? Well you need some patience when owning a website or blog to see results.

For those who missed it, memodorial started a thread How to hire SEO which featured Google's Maile Ohye (who has since left Google).

If you didn't watch or listen carefully you might have missed Maile saying:

Google: SEOs Need 4 Months to a Year for SEO Changes & Ranking Improvement

Your results may turn out to be different from the 4 month to a year statement above but there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Are you searching for yourself while logged in at Google?

• Are you clearing your browser cache before testing?

• Are you searching from your home/office?

• Are you checking a low competition longer keyword phrase?
    If you have decided to check a longer keyword phrase that has low competition you may see that your site is right up there on page 1 of the results but... is your target audience searching for this?

• Is your site new?
    When a site is new and you search for yourself you may find that you are there on page 1 then it disappears. This is because your site is new and after the search engines have assessed your site a bit better you get moved to where you belong in the search results.

• How long after your changes are you testing?
    And back to the patience thing... Did you make the changes yesterday, last week, a month ago? It takes time for the search engines to index your changes across their many data centers. Also, as discussed in this thread: The Myth of the Google Update you and everyone else are making changes to try and improve your ranking. The indexes are in constant change. Your competition is watching their rankings also and when they notice you are kicking their butt they make changes which sends the whole index into change again...

So there you have it. Reasons you need to listen to Mom and have some patience while waiting for your site to rise to page 1 of the search results.
Some points helped me to update my knowledge like search engines take some time to go through updates, we have done in the website, searching while logged into Gmail, or searching form the same place.

One thing which all of us have to understand and which is misunderstood is we can target any low competition keyword. No doubt long tail keywords help to improve the ranking, but you also have to check monthly searches. You are right, whats the use of targeting and ranking for a long tail keyword for which your target audience is not searching.

Over all thanks for such a big discussion.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

This surely depends on what keywords you want to rank for though?

I agree if you are trying a competitive keyword it may take this long but if you go for a longer tailed keyword, surely you can get up straight away?

I recently started a website a month ago and I am 1 position of first page within a month (albeit a not very competitive business)

Old 03-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Consent with the article, i am also working right now on the SEO drastically, however Search engine will index the things according to his algorithm.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat9 View Post
This surely depends on what keywords you want to rank for though?

I agree if you are trying a competitive keyword it may take this long but if you go for a longer tailed keyword, surely you can get up straight away?

I recently started a website a month ago and I am 1 position of first page within a month (albeit a not very competitive business)
Absolutely right!!
Its all about the keywords that we have chosen and the techniques we used.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Well That's True.... Hardly we need Patience for SEO, We hav to wait Minimum of 6 to 8 months to see the effects....

Now Google Recently made some changes and in some famous websites they told there is no importance for keywords.... so is this true

Last edited by snakeair; 03-07-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
[*]Are you searching for yourself while logged in at Google?
I used to make many mistakes like this when I was a newbie in SEO. Pls take note it so as not to make mistake like me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum