Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesandno View Post
What was the last number ?
This is post 1421 so we have a ways to go.

Please join in.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Cut the grass and weeded some of the gardens after two week absence. I need a cold adult beverage - or 3.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome back! This thread went on vacation with you.

Whilst you were away we experienced some brutal heat as did most of the eastern half of the country. When it is too hot to work at sunrise it is hot.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Nice to be back.

Well, where I was vacationing, it was unseasonably cool. Out near HTML's stomping grounds, it was around 10C, mind you it was up at an elevation of near 5000 feet above sea level. A little further east, it was again, unseasonably cool. Golf was played with three layers. When the sun came out - polo shirt. When cloudy, polo shirt, vest and sweater.

Near home it's also been pretty hot over the last couple of weeks with the "feels like temp", near 40C. Good news - the kids didn't burn down the place while I was gone.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Better news you did not have a heart attack after all that delayed yard work!

This week was pleasant, below norm, with the cool front that went through. I suspect next week shall return to normal

Old 07-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Heading downtown tomorrow. As a birthday present, the kids are buying me lunch, then they bought seats for the baseball game against Tampa Bay in the afternoon. I hope the roof is closed - from what I can tell, our seats are on the sunny side of the stadium.

Last edited by LMD; 07-26-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Enjoy the game.

Do they air condition the space when the dome is closed? The sun might be better than stagnant heated air.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

They do cool the air, but I don't recall being up that high in seating, in the hottest part of the summer, so, I can't say how cool it was way below.

Honestly, if the dome had been open, we would have been frying in the afternoon sun as our seats faced west.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Did your teem win or did you at least enjoy the game?

I no longer keep track of who is winning or playing.

I did watch a little golf after a hard week of getting up early to work an hour or so before it was too hot. Finally finished the landscape lighting project.

Sorta had to believe that the summer is almost gone. The public schools are starting up within a week or 2.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Home team won in the bottom of the 12th inning - walk-off homerun. Love it.

not watching any golf these days. I might if the weather is crappy on a Sunday and I've got everything done I intended to do.

Landscape lighting can be an amazing effect. I've tried it with solar lights, but the ones in the shady areas don't get much sunlight, so they only last so long. I'd go electric once I get an irrigation system installed.

Whoa - most of our schools don't start up till the first week of September. I imagine the little guttersnipes are beginning to freak out a little where you are.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

No luck with solar or photoeyes. So I went with timers.

As I just managed to lose a long post, I will add more later.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

reconstructed offline:

It is amazing how much the technology has changed in 20 years. The combination of LED and modern transformers make it the system efficient and easy to maintain.

I intended to use an older transformer / mechanical timer that was left over from a previous project but have decided not to do so after some testing. The old style uses 5.5 watts on standby and wastes and additional 10 AC watts when converting 27 watts DC from AC.

I settled on stand-a-lone digital timers (.7w standby) and wall wart transformers which appear to be so close to 0 waste as to not register on the KILLaWatt meter. 12.7 watts in = 12.7 watts out. This combination makes replacing a defective part fairly simple and cheap.

The only thing I dread about school starting is that the school bus storage yard is between me and some parts of downtown.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Hey LMD,
Did the kids tell you there was a tornado warning one day last week (think it was last) down your way?

You should have come further West. It has been nice and warm here. Got burnt weekend before last.

LMD and Scriptman,
We tried cheap solar lights from JYSK. Bought 10 3 weekends ago. Down to 6 working. Guess you can't expect much at a dollar a piece but was hoping at least 1 summer. Bought set of 10 solar at Canuck Tire (half price). Installation on the To Do List for the long weekend.

Speaking of technology making things complicated, bought a flip from side to side sprinkler for the lawn. (watering days Wed and Sat am - and it has rained those mornings or over night since purchase) Went to set it up for tomorrow am. Took quite a while to get the darn thing to swing both left and right equal distances.

Have you guys ever thought of cleaning your forced air heating ducts?

Old 07-31-2019, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post

Took quite a while to get the darn thing to swing both left and right equal distances.

Would have to see a pic of what you bought in order to make a serious comment. This style, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-P...-995/100659508 , has always worked right out of the box. this style, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-P...-593/202051545 always requires adjustment.

Have thought about the ducts and have never paid to have it done. If prior owners were negligent about changing the filters it might be worth the expense. Why HVAC people design systems where the filter is close to the furnace and not where the air enters the return has always baffled me.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hey LMD,
Did the kids tell you there was a tornado warning one day last week (think it was last) down your way?
Yes! I was golfing on that day, and got a call from DW, along with the gang there, they were all in the basement waiting out the storm and tornado warning. We could see the storm from where we were (about 20km away), but it was sunny where we were.

Tell me, is this a common western phrase: If you don't like the weather right now, wait 15 minutes. ??

Quote:
It's on my list of things to get done before fall.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

It's on my list of things to get done before fall.
You have the equipment or you are going with a pro? I am fairly sure she did not mean what she could reach with a shop vac.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
You have the equipment or you are going with a pro? I am fairly sure she did not mean what she could reach with a shop vac.
Pro - they've got some pretty heavy duty machinery to do the duct cleaning.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I do have what I think is a sock bundle stuck in the central vac system on one outlet that I can't seem to get unstuck. It's plugging up just the one outlet and the blockage doesn't seem to be moving either way using an old "upright" vac to try and suck it out (which did work once before).

I was thinking about getting a plumbers snake, but I don't know if it'll push the blockage further down the pipe or what - never tried this before.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

No access to the pipe?

A wire bulb type snake might. Bend the end of the wire open to make a small hook and try to snare it.

But how did a sock make it through the sweeper head. That sorta deifies my imagination.

A shop vac with a reduced hose might be more flexible than the 'old upright'. By reducing the hose diameter on the intake end you increase the suction power. Just don't run it too long with that reduction.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

It may have been with the sweeper head off and using just the hose to get around or under some furniture - can't remember now. It was 3 weeks ago.

I've tried a shop vac without any success. Whatever is in there is stuck pretty good!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby