Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 AM
v7n Mentor

DNS problem?

OK, I need help? Please?

I can usually figure things out just fine with assistance, but I am NOT an overly tech-savvy person. So I'm asking for your understanding.

I can't access my blogs to do posts, at blogger.com. I checked to see if I'm online, yes, I am. I checked google.com. Won't load. I get a DNS error.

I checked yahoo.com, facebook.com and amazon.com. They all work just fine.

So I checked google and blogger through Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome. Doesn't work in any of them. Can't access them on my iPhone either, while it's picking up wireless. I turn wireless off on the iPhone, go to 3G, and I can pick up everything again.

So what's happening, is, I can't get SOME sites (google.com and blogger.com) through my wireless.

Firefox gives me a server not found. Internet Explorer cannot display web page. Google Chrome gives me info about the DNS not being able to look it up, and I did follow the suggestion in Chrome's error screen to uncheck "predict" which made no difference, so I re-checked it.

I also tried turning off the router and re-starting it.

I did put on a new router today, so I'm guessing that's what the problem is. The router is a Netgear N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v3. And I've been using it for hours with no problems with accessing other websites, or the Roku getting Netflix streaming.

Any idea? Thanks!!!

EDITED TO ADD: Earlier today I guess it WAS working. I searched something using the google search in my toolbar on Firefox, and it gave me results. I did this with two searches, and went back and forth between the pages that came up and the search results. Now I can't use the toolbar search either. Weirder and weirder? To me at least ...

Last edited by Inspired Ink; 01-07-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: additional info just discovered

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Administrator

It could be because there are a number of routers down tonight in North America. http://www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm Depends on which route your request takes.

I can get to both your blogs in your signature.

Did you try:
-booting the modem from your ISP? Unplug it like you did your router.
-Pinging your blog or the sites you can't get to? Ping Command (scroll down instructions on the page)
-flushing your DNS cache How to flush DNS cache in Linux / Windows / Mac
-a trace route How to Use the Traceroute Command

Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM
v7n Mentor

Thank you so much!!!

I'm still not sure exactly what I just did that worked, because I went down your list. I *think* it was flushing the DNS cache, although I seem to have gotten an error message when I did that.

It couldn't ping.

Attempting to flush cache DID give me a lot of info, but it said "unrecognized or incomplete command line" then it said USAGE: ipconfig [/allcompartments] [/? | /all | ... and so on several lines, along with a help message. Maybe it did something after all though?

Then I did the tracer, and looked for google, and it took a minute or two, but it did complete a trace. Then when I checked after that, everything is back.

So I don't know what it was exactly (like I said I'm not the most tech-savvy, but at least I can follow directions!)

THANK YOU sooo much. I had a post all finished and I needed to get it out asap. I really appreciate your help!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk