Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Well ...

My financial situation went through a serious crash nine years back ... and I've had a couple more in the meantime. I was forced back then to make so many changes, and find ways to overcome it.

And the ups and downs in the meantime made me find new ways to adapt. Haha, I'm starting to feel like a domino train ... and I'm every domino in the stack, just falling VERY slowly.

There are advantages to that though. I've learned a tremendous amount. I don't eat out all the time like I did ten years ago, but ... with my little farm here now I eat REALLY good food that I couldn't afford any other way. And I have some cushion there as well, depending on how well I manage things (and the weather). I'm probably MUCH healthier for it, too.

I don't have my 100+ channel cable TV anymore. But I don't miss it. I do have Netflix now for 1/10 the old cost, and I have more programs that I want to watch than I have time for, and I can bring up any of them I want any hour of the day, pause it, rewind it, take a 2 hour break. In the meantime I also had YouTube, and I may go back to that, and would have zero extra cost in it. So I have a lot more flexibility and a lot less cost. Again, win/win.

Instead of shopping in the malls (which I find I don't miss) I like to dig through thrift stores, swap meets, and so on. Most often I don't even buy, but there's a real satisfaction in finding a valuable piece I love for next to nothing. I also enjoy taking pieces that I've learned to see potential in, bring them home, and paint, drill, cut down, build up, or do whatever I like to turn them into something new. I've found I REALLY enjoy that process, and get a huge sense of accomplishment.

I admit, there are times when I'd like to do this or that, and I can't afford to. There are even times when I really NEED something, and I can't get it, and that can be really frustrating. But for the most part, the way I live my day to day life, I think I'm actually a lot happier and I spend my time better that I did 10 years ago when I had no financial problems at all. Money isn't everything.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

i decided to work more for less either i should say study more for less money because iam trainee

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

I have managed to avoid the full brunt of it so far. Not sure how long that will last though. Hopefully the planning I did will carry me through it.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Has not really impacted me as hard but I can see that friends around me are finding it harder and harder to find jobs. Regular jobs, even when they are overqualified.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTrack View Post
friends around me are finding it harder and harder to find jobs. Regular jobs, even when they are overqualified.
Ain't that the truth ... that's been going on for years depending on where you live (I've gotten to experience this "recession" in Florida, California, and Texas now) ... no signs of it getting any better on that front either.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Not at all.. I think the time is a super teacher and it tells you hot to handle situation whether good or bad. So I did not see any change in my life style

Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 AM
v7n Mentor

The economy has definitely impacted us and I find myself making a lot of small changes that add up to keeping my head above water. One good thing is that because of the housing market, we were able to get out of a 2 bedroom 1300 square foot house and move to a bigger place with a big yard - it sat on the market for 9 months - we couldn't even consider it until after last year's Christmas season. (We're renting out the old place.)

Having more space is really helping me be 200% more productive.

But along with that....

1. I drive a diesel car that runs on free waste vegetable oil 75% of the time - especially when traveling between Fort Worth and Dallas. (That's a $12-$15 round trip now and I go 1-2 times a week.) I have a "real car" that lives in the garage this time of year in Texas. A hailstone the size of a baseball didn't dent yellow diesel car last year! They don't make them like they used to in the 80's.

2. I shop at a food surplus place regularly. I just bought some fabulous fajita meat for $1 a pound. I've capped our weekly food budget to $75 a week with $25 in drive through.

3. We don't run the AC when we can.

4. No eating out.

5. Box wine. (Actually not that bad... Almaden Merlot at Sam's - 7 bottles worth for $12.99.)

6. No cable just netflix streaming only.

7. Owen is in public school - this became an option when we moved - big savings here. We also get speech therapy there so I'll be able to put private lessons on hold until summer. That one change made up for the difference in mortgage expense.

8. I've started running my business expenses through a Southwest airlines card so we can take vacations again and we use tents or priceline I get a little freaked when they talk about issuing 1099's for this - it's my one thing... my one thing that "free" and makes all the other adjustments worth it if I can just get to the coast or out of dodge for a weekend.

9. Thrift stores are a definite must - why pay full price for unworn knee high brown leather boots!! I go to one in Highland Park where the ladies bring their clothes after wearing them once or I head to a place here in Fort Worth where jeans are $4.

So, it all adds up to less discretionary spending. Budgeting and writing things down to keep track.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM

These darn gas prices.....should say fuel.....the poor truckers...

Causing everything in the store to increase......
we remain careful...
Neither of us have been money wasters anyway...but now.....

Tight money makes it difficult of make profit from systems that have worked well in the past...

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

The gas price's are killing me in the wallet.

I drive a total of 70 miles per day 5 days a week and wish i could fly to save on money.

Before when gas prices was at a decent amount about 10 years ago, i did a lot of driving around... going to the beach every weekend or just taking a cruise around town. Now, i go to work, go to the store if i need something and don't drive not unless i actually have something to do.

I try to run all my errands on the weekend in one shot to save on gas. Haven't really did to much cloth's shopping in the past few years because i need to pay for my bills which keep going up.

BTW, i blame some of this on my NJ gov.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

did he have something to do with stopping the deep shore wells in gulf?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Here is just one of the reason's why I'm upset i voted for him in the past election.

Gov. Chris Christie's Mouth Stepped In It Deep This Time

I can't believe i voted for him.

My mom is in the real estate business since she was 17. Her father owned a real estate business so she has it in her blood. (He retired in FL for the past 20 years) In the past 6 years, 3 of her offices closed and 1 of them she was the manager. Now she just a regular "closer" (real estate slang i think) and no longer a manager which she took a big pay cut at this new job she's been at for 2 years.

My dad had to rethink the finances while she was out of work because a good salary was wiped out. The housing market still stinks.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

i am an expatriate working away from home, a sinking economy to me, means inflation and declining value of the purchasing power of my money so i can buy less and less while my salary remains the same, experts say you either look for ways to increase your income or decrease your daily expenses, well, i think i rather choose the latter at the moment.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Here is just one of the reason's why I'm upset i voted for him in the past election.

Gov. Chris Christie's Mouth Stepped In It Deep This Time

I can't believe i voted for him.
Hey! I went and commented on the thread above and it is soooo old!! LOL

Why did you bring Chris Christie into this thread - just wondering

Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
Hey! I went and commented on the thread above and it is soooo old!! LOL

Why did you bring Chris Christie into this thread - just wondering
Nice video in the other thread. Re election is coming up for him soon. I was searching for something else but found this instead.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...reased_ta.html

Maybe create a thread for it later. Don't want to get this thread off topic.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Money isn't everything, as long as you got enough of them.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

It is extremewly difficult to make a living in this environment.

We need to work harder to get pay less, and we lost a lot of freedom because of that.
The worse of all is that you cannot engage any long term project without a stable economic system. It could be for business or regular life.

Economic instability is a nightmare.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

I think for me, since I'm young, it has taken away a lot of job opportunity for me. I know my dad said when he was a teen, most fast food jobs and lower end jobs were held by teenagers who just started working, when in today's time, those jobs are held by adults and even really old adults in some cases. Because of this, it has been extremely hard for me to get my first job in order to start gaining some work experience. And because of that, I'm slowly turning to web development and design online to hopefully make some money.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby