Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I can enjoy the rumble in the right place at the right time but I drive a 4 banger, the same one since 1996 and no plans to buy a new one with less gas mileage.
The 2.5 4 cyl in the Altima is a nice engine. Prior to 2013, it was a little noisy when cold - the one thing that I really hated about the car. They apparently said the engineers did some redesigning of that engine in 2013, so its apparently quieter, but I bet they just put in more insulation around the back end of the engine compartment.

In reality, the 2.5 is a pretty big 4, that gets a max of about 170hp. Nice, if you need it but performs great under normal conditions as well. But, the 6 cyl is rated for about 300hp, and although slightly less mileage performance can be expected, if driven correctly, I would get close to or better mileage that some of the cowboys around here flooring 4 their cyl engines just to go 100 yards to the next red light or stop sign . I kid you not.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Actually that may the same or close cousin to mine in the Hardbody PU 2.5L 170 HP did not use any oil at all between changes up to about 160K. The best engine I have ever owned. Knock on wood, except for the carb and a valve cover gasket it is still all OEM.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Administrator

My Cougar XR7 had a 351 Cleveland in it. Cost me a speeding ticket because some kids decided to race me as I tried to get into a left turn lane and cop was watching in shopping center.

That's it for my contribution to the car discussion. Back to

Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Actually that may the same or close cousin to mine in the Hardbody PU 2.5L 170 HP did not use any oil at all between changes up to about 160K. The best engine I have ever owned. Knock on wood, except for the carb and a valve cover gasket it is still all OEM.
May be. I know the manufacturers share a lot of technology. My Altima has 170k. Still runs great. I love the Maxima though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
My Cougar XR7 had a 351 Cleveland in it. Cost me a speeding ticket because some kids decided to race me as I tried to get into a left turn lane and cop was watching in shopping center.

That's it for my contribution to the car discussion. Back to
I also know very little about cars. I do know my own cars though - the way it runs (or should run), when something's wrong, or sounds off - but not able to fix or repair.

Funny you mention the Cougar HTML.

I had a 71 XR7, which was my experience with the 351 Cleveland. The body rusted like a sieve though. The sequential turn signal box rusted out - had to get special wiring done to it. The floors rusted out too. Chose the wrong person to do the wiring work and I eventually dumped it - it needed way too much work. At least more $$ than I could afford at the time.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Administrator

My Cougar was beige with tan roof. The timing chain broke. I was at college at the time so got rid of it due to no money to pay for the work. Really liked that car! Loved the ticker rear signals.

Hey, do you guys decorate your porch for the season? I have added a bunch of home life blog RSS feeds to my RSS feed reader and the topic currently is to decorate for fall. I have a porch and yard now so I can do these things.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
May be. I know the manufacturers share a lot of technology. My Altima has 170k. Still runs great. I love the Maxima though.

I also know very little about cars. I do know my own cars though - the way it runs (or should run), when something's wrong, or sounds off - but not able to fix or repair.
The truck is a Nissan Hardbody so it very well could be the same engine.

The very first thing I quit doing for myself was auto work. I just don't have the the right aptitude or skill-set.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hey, do you guys decorate your porch for the season? I have added a bunch of home life blog RSS feeds to my RSS feed reader and the topic currently is to decorate for fall. I have a porch and yard now so I can do these things.
We don't. Our contribution to the season is to buy a big pot or 2 of mums from a local grower. We don't do Christmas either.

A lot of folks do and I like them. If you don't have bad teens in or through your area I say go for it.

My contribution to the season was about an hour and a half of tilling up the peony bed which had not been worked well over 20 years. Now local Mama can divide and replant.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

NOTE: I can't seem to HTML's previous post in this thread - it throws me out to the sign in window.

HTML:

We kind of decorate - but my kids are adults now. I'll still put out some Halloween stuff for the kids in the court that drop by for candy on Halloween. I'll put out a winter/Xmas planter, door wreath and Xmas lights.

I guess it also depends on whether you want to or not, along with the neighborhood peer pressure.

Have you ever watched Christmas With The Cranks?

Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The truck is a Nissan Hardbody so it very well could be the same engine.
I don't know when they introduced the 2.5, but it was a long time ago, for sure.

Quote:
The very first thing I quit doing for myself was auto work. I just don't have the the right aptitude or skill-set.
I just didn't have the desire, nor the room to learn mtc. The guy down the street changes oil, tires brakes etc. I've found a mechanic that I trust. They're not cheap, but I know what needs to be done is done. What can wait will be done later. We have to trust someone sooner or later, because I've been ripped for taking my wife's old honda for a battery once. They ruined or screwed up the SRS system. I had to take it to the dealer and they said never trust a local "do all" with some manufacturers, like Honda.

:shrug:

Old 09-26-2019, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

I had a shop that was nowhere near cheap but always did first class work. The owner with medical problems retired and the new folks are not the same. Since then I've been playing Russian Roulette each time I have a problem. Tires and oil changes I have places. It seems like I found a fair AC service place this spring. General repairs I'm still looking.

Arms are killing me. That Mantis is a digging machine and vibrator on steroids.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

A rainy day here and am surprised the fall blooming flowers are still hanging on. Baskets are still looking really good for this time of year, but the writing's on the wall. Western part of the country will be getting some early snow this weekend. I have relatives out that way, so since they sold the place in Tucson, I can rib him about cold weather this season.

And, here in the east, we're getting a "mild" heat wave for the next 8-10 days or so (if you can call it that). We kind of got ripped off in the spring. They kept promising an early warm up in Feb, then March, then April, and yes, then May, but it was mid June before it really began to warm up. So, this delay to cooler weather is kind of pay-back for a cool spring.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Have you ever watched Christmas With The Cranks?
Nope. But have seen Christmas Vacation.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Nope. But have seen Christmas Vacation.
Along with Christmas Vacation, this one is something we watch every year. If your a Tim Allen fan, you'll really like it. If not a fan of his, he's still funny in this one. Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis are pretty hilarious too. I only point this out because I saw a quick advert about the Hallmark channel preparing to begin promoting their Xmas movies, starting next month.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A rainy day here and am surprised the fall blooming flowers are still hanging on. Baskets are still looking really good for this time of year, but the writing's on the wall.
It's so dry here I broke down and watered the entire front lawn. It really needed it and looked a little stupid for the 25% with the new sod being much greener than the rest of it.

I not seen either of those Christmas movies.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Going to try and schedule a trip to the Niagara area next week. Not the falls, just the winery area. Apparently I've not been there in over 20 years, so I think I've been voluntold I should take the boss there and make a day out of it.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Have fun.

The queen bee said she wanted to learn to till in the manure and peat moss. That lasted 3.5 minutes and most likely will be the last time the the subject is broached.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

I bought a property with about 1/3 acre in the early 90's. I set aside a small planting area for vegetables and berries in the huge backyard area. The property was really nice - with a huge shed (rickety though) privacy growth bushes and trees with a huge willow in the back portion of the yard.

Anyhow, the farming project lasted two years as we both got too busy with work and with two new babies and had to leave the growing area unattended. I was lucky to get the grass cut and deal with some of the never ending weeds. I hired a spraying company to deal with weeks and grubs, and we managed to do some flower planting, and the yard looked really nice.

We eventually sold that property, for a larger house, but much smaller land to maintain. We've done a lot of planting and are pretty happy with the results. If but if we were still at the big property, it would take pretty much most of my attention today, and would be too much work - for me at least.

I still walk/drive by the area to see what the young people who bought place have done with it.

Last edited by LMD; 09-27-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

I hear you. My common sense is winning also. I would like a bigger yard but I have all that I can maintain right now. I could not keep up with a real garden. Besides most things you can grow can be bought for less than the cost of growing. Truly ripe tomatoes are the exception. The farmer's market is very expensive and they aren't even ripe enough to suit me. I understand they have to pick them a few days early in order to transport them.

At the market price ($3 lb) I gave away well over $200 of tomatoes this season, had all I wanted and even made a gallon of tomato wine. That's still percolating so I can say how it turned out.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Ya, the huge size of the yard was what really attracted us to the place, but our like/need for a big private yard complicated the maintenance aspect when the kids arrived.

Tomato wine? I've honestly never heard of that. What do you know...something new every day. I like tomatoes in sauces and accompaniments in some salads and pastas, but not drinks, or on sandwiches (for the most part).

Markets were a bit red to start, now look like a their greening up a bit - at least for the moment.

Drab day here today. Fall seems to be wanting to take over, but one more week of warmish weather, then I'll start planning some details of our winter getaway.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hot and dry here. We are on track for the driest Sept ever recorded.

Quote:
Tomato wine?
Said to not taste like tomatoes at all; claimed to finish out like a Chardnay.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby