Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Copying other people's work is just wrong, why not write your own unique content? Besides you can get penalized by Google for Duplicate content.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I think most of us will appreciate original, if you stole posts of others' website,that is not only the copyright infringement,but also reflects you are not honest.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:11 AM

yes.

But You can copy the content and paste it in Your blog. At same time u need to give source link to copied content in your blog

Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by echovme View Post
yes.

But You can copy the content and paste it in Your blog. At same time u need to give source link to copied content in your blog
That is a false belief. I can still go after you for copyright infringement if I didn't give you permission to do that.

Quote:
"It doesn't hurt anybody -- in fact it's free advertising." It's up to the owner to decide if they want the free ads or not. If they want them, they will be sure to contact you. Don't rationalize whether it hurts the owner or not, ask them. Usually that's not too hard to do.
10 Big Myths about copyright explained

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

What is missing from the discussion is WHY you would want to do this.

While in the abstract I would concur with the many prior posts that this appears to be copyright infringement, I can also quickly think of many instances where the fair use issue would clearly apply. Where it would not be considered dishonest, stealing, etc., but rather would be informative, educational, news worthy, etc.

So without knowing the "why" or even what content is involved, there is no easy black or white answer.

That said, don't abuse my words and think you have an out or an excuse anytime you want to copy another person's words.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 PM

like any other things borrowed all you have to do is ask permission. doesn't hurt.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Well he can shut you down if he hacks your blog and put picture of his grandma on every page.
Like others suggested, more ethical way is to ask him to post his article on you blog, and in return you will write at the end of article from which blog you posed it, and leave link.

I did this kind of thing few times, and all bloggers that I contacted agreed, it was nice promotion for both blogs. you cant always expect to write breakthrough article, but if someone else does, you can at lest ask him kindly to publish it, and give him nice backlink in return

Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSmith1 View Post

It is very complex to dos something on internet in legal matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSmith1 View Post
It is very complex to dos something on internet in legal matter.
Actually, it's quite simple. You can file a DMCA infringement notification with Google, for instance, at http://www.google.com/dmca.html#notification. I have a client that has to do this several times each week, and it takes 5-10 minutes to do so.

Also, although Google says that the notification must be filed by fax or snail-mail, rather than e-mail, if you set up a digital signature for your email account, they can be filed by e-mail.

Response is typically measured in hours not days.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Here is my advice: don't try this 'copy & paste' method and stay away! Google and other search engine will penalize you...

Lair360

Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM

Well, I think if you like other's blog and want to have it in your blog, you have to contact the writer and ask for permission. Additional, you'b better have the writer's name in the blog.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know why all of these people are telling you "yes". If he is "young" as you said and doesn't do this professionally chances are he doesn't actually have a real copyright. If he doesn't have a legal copyright he cant shut you down. He can contact your host but your host will probably just say "legal takedown notice or GTFO".

It may not be ethical, but he cant do anything about it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyanator View Post
I don't know why all of these people are telling you "yes". If he is "young" as you said and doesn't do this professionally chances are he doesn't actually have a real copyright. If he doesn't have a legal copyright he cant shut you down. He can contact your host but your host will probably just say "legal takedown notice or GTFO".

It may not be ethical, but he cant do anything about it.
Actually, if the original blogger ever posted it,, he DOES hold a copyright, at least in the majority of the western world.

In fact, unless there's a specific agreement to the contrary (which, without checking, I suspect there is), even this post is automatically copyrighted, simply by my having put it up.

Also, submitting a takedown request under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) is remarkably simple, and if valid, usually produces results very quickly. We do several each month, which usually result in a takedown within 24 hours.

Hosts that fail to respond appropriately to DMCA T/D requests can very quickly find themselves in a "What in the world was I thinking?" position with the search engines. Google, in particular, is very aggressive about copyright infringement on the work of others. The host can take down the offending copy, or Google can take down the offending site. Faced with that choice...

Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

TheRyanator that's such a douchebaggy thing to say

If it's news site aggregating peoples RSS feeds, then they will have a VERY hard time doing anything about it, as by providing that RSS feed for people they're sort of giving you rights to use that feed though not to copy their work. But i'm not as familiar with the legality stuff as some in this thread so take their advice and just don't do it.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Administrator

I repeat:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange peel View Post
What if the owners are young in age and will probably only contact my web provider?
Quote:
Use of our services to infringe upon any copyright or trademark is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to unauthorized copying of music, books, photographs, or any other copyrighted work.
That quote was taken from the OP's hosting agreement.

It's not that hard to figure out. Using Google alerts and checking your web stats for hotlinking are a couple of methods.

I too have gotten copyrighted material removed by issuing a Cease and Desist notice within a few hours without a lawyer.

Quote:
"If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not copyrighted." This was true in the past, but today almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not. The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise. There are some old works that lost protection without notice, but frankly you should not risk it unless you know for sure.
It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by warning people, and by allowing one to get more and different damages, but it is not necessary. If it looks copyrighted, you should assume it is. This applies to pictures, too. You may not scan pictures from magazines and post them to the net, and if you come upon something unknown, you shouldn't post that either.
10 Big Myths about copyright explained

Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

If I steal a candy from a 6 yo will I get beat up? maybe not

Its wrong though

Did that answer your question?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

It is risk and you might get trouble. To overcome this issue, you might consider to add a link point to the source, then it will be safe

Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeplayer View Post
It is risk and you might get trouble. To overcome this issue, you might consider to add a link point to the source, then it will be safe
It will not.
Quote:
If I give credit I don't need permission.

Giving credit means you can look at yourself in the mirror and say you are not a plagiarist. However, merely giving credit is not a defense to copyright infringement which, unlike plagiarism, has legal, not ethical, consequences. Copyright infringement is the unauthorized use of someone else's copyrighted material. By contrast, you can plagiarize material not protected by copyright simply by taking credit for it.
TEN COMMON COPYRIGHT PERMISSION MYTHS By Attorney Lloyd J. Jassin

Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzo View Post
TheRyanator that's such a douchebaggy thing to say
I said it wasn't ethical, which means it's not right.

Saying that there is probably nothing he can do about it is also truthful. Telling the truth isn't douchebaggy

Old 11-07-2010, 02:06 AM

in google search for "the best spinner" and get this software , now sping any article and post it , never copy and paste same content .. google will sandboxie your website

Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Banned

I smell PLAGIARISM here... don't do that! Like everyone is saying, go ask for permission, make some revision of his/her article, research. Give credits to the owner.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues