Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Have to help my godmother make a site, please help

My godmother recently called me and asked if I could help her make a website. She does consultant work and she wants to point her potential customers to her website. I'm only 15 so I don't have much experience making website (Except HTML and CSS), like you other webmasters So she wants a site that's easy to maintain because she doesn't have web experience. So what I'm asking in a nutshell is how could she make a well made professional site, without her having much programming experience? I know that she'll need a domain name and web hosting.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
No Longer Active

Have you considered using WordPress? Many people are using it for their primary site these days and having wonderful results.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Wordpress is not bad, and I would particularly say wordpress.com would be good for someone that just wants "a website".

Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM

Wordpress, Joomla, or countless other CMS that are available today absolutely for free. Check them out and pick the one that works best for you.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Wordpress is the easiest to manage for beginners.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM

+1 more for wordpress. Hardest part about it is the setup...which is actually a breeze with a self-install system. Absolutely the best web publishing software for beginners.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Does she really need a CMS like WordPress? Or any CMS?

I would think a site for someone like that would be mostly a static HTML site with a contact page. About 6 pages for the total site would be par for the course. I mean it is just like an expanded yellow page ad.

Did I miss something? I did not mean to rain on the parade.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Does she really need a CMS like WordPress? Or any CMS?

I would think a site for someone like that would be mostly a static HTML site with a contact page. About 6 pages for the total site would be par for the course. I mean it is just like an expanded yellow page ad.

Did I miss something? I did not mean to rain on the parade.
Well, he did mention maintain, referring to content, so it's safe to assume she would like to add/update/remove content on a whim...which is where a CMS comes in very handy of course. I'm sure she doesn't want to go to her godson every time she wants to change something on the site. Could you imagine being the godson assuming that role? LOL Hell, I too would just set her up with wordpress, show her how to use it and let that be it...hopefully.

Last edited by Luxmo; 08-05-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Since she has zero experience I sorta assumed that she had no clue that there are millions of sites out there that are never updated so I disregarded that portion of the post.

We will have to wait until ComixStix gets back to us but for the life of me I can't think of much up-datable content for a site like that. That isn't meant to be an insult. I think every business should have a site. The cost is so very low compared to most forms of advertising.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM

There are a lot of web hosts that come with site builders in fact Weebly is a free site that makes site building pretty straight forward.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
v7n Mentor

If she goes the WP route it's more scalable than some other easy routes and will accommodate her as she develops proficiency.

Be sure when she gets server/hosting she gets a Unix based account instead of Windows based... otherwise it wont support WP.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 PM

There are many companies that will setup a free website for her, but she will have to add content. Even better...why not a blog? Direct your godmother to the Blogger.com or Wordpress sites, though there are others, these two are among the most popular and she can be online in a few hours. And all this with no cost to her.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned

I agree with Luxmo and the others to say that Wordpress is definitely your best option. When I first started making sites, I didn't have a clue what I was doing, I don't know what I would have done without Wordpress. It is the best option in my opinion.

[QUOTE=Luxmo;1453975]Well, he did mention maintain, referring to content, so it's safe to assume she would like to add/update/remove content on a whim...which is where a CMS comes in very handy of course. I'm sure she doesn't want to go to her godson every time she wants to change something on the site. Could you imagine being the godson assuming that role? LOL Hell, I too would just set her up with wordpress, show her how to use it and let that be it...hopefully. QUOTE]

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-17-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Wordpress is a great idea.

Theres alot of free templates & tools available which beginners & novices can adapt / learn easily.

Alternative is maybe come up with a budget of $200 - $800 and hire a professional :p

Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I have to recommend Wordpress as well. I built my first website using Wordpress with pretty much no knowledge of web design at all.

As it wasn't a blog I changed it to using a static page and was able to customize it very easily. It certainly is an easy way to manage a website for beginners, but also has the functionality to be great for experts as well.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

+1 for wordpress... For beginners, it is definitely the CMS to go for.
My top choice!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

i think that you should go with one of the many CMS out there, i would recommend Joomla if she had any experience but since she doesn't i think the easiest would be wordpress.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRACK View Post
Wordpress is a great idea.

Theres alot of free templates & tools available which beginners & novices can adapt / learn easily.

Alternative is maybe come up with a budget of $200 - $800 and hire a professional :p
I agree with you on this one. If this is something that she is looking to do for a business, there are a lot of free lance workers out there that are more than willing to work with you on the prices charged.

The one question that you need to look at is how many pages do you think are going to be on the site? This should give you a better understanding on if you can handle the design and maintenance of the site yourself, or if you would be better off finding someone to help.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Wordpress. Hands down. /thread.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM

if you really want to create professional website complete with its own dashboard or CMS then within that budget you can easily hire a professional otherwise for personal use wordpress is great

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby