Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Language Translations

Ok I want my site to reach out and be global!

So first off I have installed !joomfish for joomla which sets up picking languages etc.

What I want to know is what is the best way to go about translating content? I did think of hiring native speakers but they could just simply rip me off and use a translator.

I also understand that translators are not very good? Correct me if I am wrong and if you could point me to some reliable ones.

I am willing to shell out decent cash to get the job done properly and professionaly as it is very important to go global.

So any ideas.suggestions?

Ta
Jade
xxxx

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Hi,

Translation software is good enough to get some understanding of a text in a language you do not know, but it cannot be used to make a quality translation.

You will get the best quality from a professional translation agency employing native speakers.

Jean-Luc

Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
v7n Mentor

Hiya thanks, do you know of any translation agencies?

Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Google has a translation tool you can add to your site.

I'd have someone who spoke some of the languages test drive. When I did this quite a while ago for a client the translation to Chinese wasn't accurate but it could have improved since.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
v7n Mentor

Cool tool, but it mucks my template up so I guess I will have to scrap that one.

Allthough I could quickly use that to convert all my content and the apply it in !joomfish. Thats ace. Your ace!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM
v7n Mentor

midwifery sanctuary, I have to agree that translator packages are typically only good enough to get the idea across. Grammar and good sentence flow typically go right out the window.

I used to do some Spanish/English translations, and some of the horror stories my clients told of previous translators and the garbage they delivered were scary! If you decide to go with a private translator, I would suggest that you at least run the first one or two translations past a pro. agency, to see if you're getting the quality you want.

Shylocks are NOT extinct!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM

I think there are some people who would't rip you off and proovide you with good quality translations.
Please go to globtra com or other similar website.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
How To Select The Best Translation Company

You need to find the right translation company that would meet all of your requirements. It pays to take the time to research different companies and check their pricing options, turn-around times, credentials and quality of their work.

1) Translation service procedure.
Inquire whether they accept documents through mail, fax or online as an email attachment or as a scanned document. Find a company that has a service procedure convenient to you.

2) Actual services a company offers.
Check if a company uses software or manually translates documents. Some document translation companies have translators knowledgeable in specific industries or niches.

3) Price structure.
Some companies offer flat-rate pricing based on the number of pages or words in the project, while others calculate prices based on the type of language, urgency, niche or subject of the document, and the number of words. Make sure you are aware of their pricing formula so you are aware of any surcharges, extra fees and costs that may be added to your project. Another important consideration is customer service.

4) Company's credentials.
Some companies are members of translation associations such as the American Translators Association, and TRANSLEX International. What these associations do is ensure the quality of services by requiring translators of member companies to undertake training and certification programs.

Take the time to browse for different document translation companies. Doing this will help you make the best decision, especially if you need document translation services over the long term. Legal Translation Solutions provides high quality document translation services for all elements of litigation, from primary documentation to supporting materials.
http://forums.smallbizph.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=3802

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 07-20-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

My advice, you may try the WorldLingo. It is stated as a free website translator^__^

Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM

If you stick to automatic translators, check Joomfish Google Translator. It could even be for the first steps until you do the whole thing manually.

I have checked their webpage and there are some mistakes but its a nice solution while the effort is minimum.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM

If you need a french translator, I'm French, I can help. PM me.

Actually, I'm doing the same thing, but the other way. I have one large French website, and I'm working on an English version right now.

I don't recommend translation agencies as they're expensive. You need to find an individual person in each country where you want to get visitors, but you have to do it one country at a time.

Car manufacturers are doing it like this to launch a new model. The new Nissan Leaf will be available in Portugal next January, then in Ireland the following month, and in the U.K. in March, etc...

Google's translation tool is so poor! Go to any french website, and have it translated, a 5-years old speaks better English.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby