Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
puffing up their chest
I was gonna go with manipulation of a different body part, but yours works too.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Face it. Everyone in Texas has wanted to nuke Austin at some point.
I kinda like that Austin tends to be a bit weird. I fit right in around there!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrna3r View Post
Thanks Natural Elements
I hope they all nukes disappear.
and Sanctions to my country will be destroyed.
Which country are you from?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
The problem here is that neither side wants it right now.
Both sides are puffing up their chest. That will not produce peace.
Zap, perhaps you have to take a look at the North Korean "war" history that killed 1.2 millions of people in the 50's.

Here is an interesting video about the Korean war

[YT]lzMGZX9eJ1U[/YT]

Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Kim Jong Un is a chip off the old block. These are just scare tactics to show how powerful they are. But we all know how impoverished NK is. Even China don't care about this country if weren't for the latter's strategic buffer to US-allied SK.

But it's not wise to underestimate lunatic tyrants. Last night, on the news, NK is planning to rebuild a nuclear plant. Have I heard this right?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Which country are you from?
Unfortunately, Iran

Last edited by mrna3r; 04-03-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

The problem with Nk and Kim Jong Un is that they are unpredictable, and that makes them not only a threat for SK and US, but for the whole world.

You ever heard about the nuclear deterrence theory? Mighty interesting stuff
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deterrence_theory

IF NK throws a bomb, would the target 100% throw one back?
If the target doesn't, would other countries see this as an opportunity to strike?
Even if the target retaliates, it's severely crippled, which could be exploited by other countries.

Now, this sounds horrible, but NK is a threat that nobody should take lightly.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

@ GMF, the threat is not being taken lightly, just publicly played down.. The US has placed a destroyer in the waters close by and I would say it is heavily armed with anti-missile rockets. (In the 80/90's, they used to be patriot missiles, not sure if they are still used.)

It is there to protect and also offer quick retaliation if required.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrna3r View Post
Unfortunately, Iran
I understand, well for me governments are one thing, and people are another thing. Governments aren't always representing people wishes.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
@ GMF, the threat is not being taken lightly, just publicly played down.. The US has placed a destroyer in the waters close by and I would say it is heavily armed with anti-missile rockets. (In the 80/90's, they used to be patriot missiles, not sure if they are still used.)

It is there to protect and also offer quick retaliation if required.

Sounds good.

Well, read a bit about nuke interception, and it seems that the nuke could still go off if intercepted. Hopefully it lands in an uninhabited area.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

North Korea blocks South Koreans from joint Kaesong industrial complex

Quote:
North Korea on Wednesday barred South Korean workers from entering a jointly run factory park just over the heavily armed border in the North, officials in Seoul said, a day after Pyongyang announced it would restart its long-shuttered plutonium reactor and increase production of nuclear weapons material.

The move to block South Koreans from going to their jobs at the Kaesong industrial complex, the last remaining symbol of detente between the rivals, comes amid increasing hostility from Pyongyang, which has threatened to stage nuclear and missile strikes on Seoul and Washington and has said that the armistice ending the 1950s Korean War is void.

Seoul's Unification Ministry spokesman, Kim Hyung-suk, said Pyongyang was allowing South Koreans to return home from Kaesong. But Kim said about 480 South Koreans who had planned to travel to the park Wednesday had been refused entry.

South Korean Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin said Wednesday he was looking at all available options to ensure the safety of South Koreans who remain in the joint industrial zone, including military action in a worst-case scenario, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

Jeyup Kwaak, reporting for CBS News in Seoul, said the Ministry of Unification confirmed 33 South Koreans had returned from Kaesong by Wednesday evening. The ministry's deputy spokeswoman said 835, including seven non-South Korean foreigners remained at the complex.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency quoted a worker who had returned, saying a lot of people chose to stay at the complex Wednesday evening because it was unclear whether North Korea would allow workers to enter on Thursday morning.

North Korean authorities cited recent political circumstances on the Korean Peninsula when they delivered their decision to block South Korean workers from entering Kaesong, Kim said without elaborating.

It's the latest sign of deepening tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-factory-park/

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
N. Korea approves nuclear strike on United States

SEOUL — North Korea dramatically escalated its warlike rhetoric on Thursday, warning that it had authorised plans for nuclear strikes on targets in the United States.

"The moment of explosion is approaching fast," the North Korean military said, warning that war could break out "today or tomorrow".

Pyongyang's latest pronouncement came as Washington scrambled to reinforce its Pacific missile defences, preparing to send ground-based interceptors to Guam and dispatching two Aegis class destroyers to the region.

Tension was also high on the North's heavily fortified border with South Korea, after Kim Jong-Un's isolated regime barred South Koreans from entering a Seoul-funded joint industrial park on its side of the frontier.

In a statement published by the state KCNA news agency, the Korean People's Army general staff warned Washington that US threats would be "smashed by... cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".

"The merciless operation of our revolutionary armed forces in this regard has been finally examined and ratified," the statement said.

Last month, North Korea threatened a "pre-emptive" nuclear strike against the United States, and last week its supreme army command ordered strategic rocket units to combat status.

But, while Pyongyang has successfully carried out test nuclear detonations, most experts think it is not yet capable of mounting a device on a ballistic missile capable of striking US bases or territory.

Mounting tension in the region could however trigger incidents on the tense and heavily militarised border between North and South Korea.

The White House was swift to react to Pyongyang's latest "unhelpful and unconstructive threats".

National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said: "It is yet another offering in a long line of provocative statements that only serve to further isolate North Korea from the rest of the international community and undermine its goal of economic development.

"North Korea should stop its provocative threats and instead concentrate on abiding by its international obligations."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...52b88ddefeb.01

What next?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

This guy is either playing one major bluff card, or he is truly insane.

It is sad that because of the actions of one man, he is on the verge of sacrificing so many of his peoples lives, instead of trying to get back round the table for talks.

I am pretty sure that even China and Russia are worried about this guy as they realise that he alone is leading his nation and possibly the world towards a holocaust.

This guy needs taking out by his own people..

Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
This guy is either playing one major bluff card, or he is truly insane.
I hope the former but fear the later.

Seems like he is going into a "nothing to lose" mentality. Bluffing doesn't benefit him at all, so I suspect he is aiming for war, to prove to the world that NK can take on the "big players".

Quote:
It is sad that because of the actions of one man, he is on the verge of sacrificing so many of his peoples lives, instead of trying to get back round the table for talks.
He doesn't care about his people. No dictator does.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that even China and Russia are worried about this guy as they realise that he alone is leading his nation and possibly the world towards a holocaust.
They are worried for sure, but I wonder what they would do, if NK presses the button.

Would they intervene and if so, in what way?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe the UN made a mistake to negociate the 38 parallel when they were way up in 1953.

China shouldn't have intervened in the 50's, that's my opinion, because now it can backfire pretty badly on them if they still help North Korea, not military but economically.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

North Korea Moves Missile to Coast for Possible Launch

Quote:
North Korea has moved a missile with "considerable range" to its east coast, South Korea's defense minister said Thursday, but he added that there are no signs that the North is preparing for a full-scale conflict.

Yet CNN reported early Thursday that a U.S. official says that the regime may be readying a missile launch.

Communications intercepts in recent days indicated that Pyongyang could be planning to launch a mobile ballistic missile in the coming days or weeks, the official told CNN. It's unknown whether it would be a test or a strike.

South Korean Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin told a parliamentary committee in Seoul that the North has moved a medium-range missile to its east coast for an imminent test firing or military drill.

The missile doesn't appear to be aimed at the U.S. mainland, Kim said, according to the semi-official South Korean news agency Yonhap.

The report came hours after North Korea's military warned that it has been authorized to attack the U.S. using "smaller, lighter and diversified" nuclear weapons. It was the North's latest war cry against America in recent weeks. The reference to smaller weapons could be a claim that North Korea has improved its nuclear technology, or a bluff.

The North is not believed to have mastered the technology needed to miniaturize nuclear bombs enough to mount them on long-range missiles.

South Korean Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin said he did not know the reasons behind the North's missile movement, and that it "could be for testing or drills."

He dismissed reports in Japanese media that the missile could be a KN-08, which is believed to be a long-range missile that if operable could hit the United States.

Kim told lawmakers at a parliamentary committee meeting that the missile has "considerable range" but not enough to hit the U.S. mainland.

The range he described could refer to a mobile North Korean missile known as the Musudan, believed to have a range of 3,000 kilometers (1,800 miles). That would make Japan and South Korea potential targets — along with U.S. bases in both countries — but there are doubts about the missile's accuracy.

The Pentagon announced that it will hasten the deployment of a missile defense system to the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam to strengthen regional protection against a possible attack.

Experts say North Korea has not demonstrated that it has accurate long-range missiles. Some suspect that an apparent long-range missile unveiled by the North at a parade last year was actually a mockup.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/nor...4/04/id/497821

They are clear up the dust of their 60's weapons, what's next?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

South Koreans leave joint factory park as North warns embassies on safety

Quote:
More South Koreans on Saturday began to leave North Korea and the factory park where they work, four days after Pyongyang closed the border to people and goods.

Twenty-one South Koreans returned from the Kaesong industrial park Saturday morning, and about 100 of the roughly 600 still there were expected to return home by day's end, the Unification Ministry in Seoul said.

One manager, Han Nam-il, interviewed as he left, said he saw North Korean security officials "fully armed" before he crossed the border.

The industrial park is the last remnant of North-South cooperation. Pyongyang's blocking of traffic there is among many provocative moves it has made recently in anger over U.N. sanctions for its Feb. 12 nuclear test and current U.S.-South Korean military drills.

Meanwhile, the communist dictatorship deployed mid-range missile launchers to its east coast and reportedly warned foreign embassies Friday it cannot guarantee the safety of diplomats after April 10, according to a Reuters report.

Earlier in the week, North Korea said it would restart a plutonium reactor closed in 2007 and use it to make fuel for nuclear bombs.

The United Kingdom foreign office confirmed in a statement Friday that North Korea asked a number of foreign embassies in Pyongyang to consider moving staff out since they could not assure their safety in the event of conflict.

"We are consulting international partners about these developments. No decisions have been taken, and we have no immediate plans to withdraw our Embassy,” the UK foreign office statement said.

Under the Vienna Convention that governs diplomatic missions, host governments are required to assist in the evacuation of embassy staff from the country in the event of conflict.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04...-by-pyongyang/

Also something else worrisome.

Russian bomber conducts practice strikes on US missile defenses in Asia

Quote:
A Russian bomber recently carried out simulated cruise missile attacks on U.S. missile defenses in Asia, raising new questions about Moscow's goal in future U.S.-Russian defense talks.

According to U.S. officials, a Russian Tu-22M Backfire bomber on Feb. 26 simulated firing air-launched cruise missiles at an Aegis ship deployed near Japan as part of U.S. missile defenses.

A second mock attack was conducted Feb. 27 against a ground-based missile defense site in Japan that officials did not identify further.

The Pentagon operates an X-band missile defense radar on the northern tip of Japan that is designed to monitor North Korean missile launches and transmit the data to missile-firing ships.

The bomber targeting comes as Russia is building up forces in the Pacific by modernizing submarines and building a spy ship specifically for intelligence-gathering against U.S. missile defenses.

Officials said it was not clear why the Russians conducted the practice strikes. However, the simulations may indicate Moscow has targeted its offensive ballistic missiles on Japan or U.S. military bases in the region.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...enses-in-asia/

IMO, this is the chess board game, and we need to be careful that if North Korea ignite a conflict that China and Russia will not take advantage of that.

Perhaps it is the time to send a couple carriers battle groups other there.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

I dont think there will be a war

Old 04-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

I'll take my lead from the South Korean people. The vast majority are just shrugging their shoulders and getting on with life. That happens when you've had 60 years of posturing, rhetoric, and threats from the country beside you I guess.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblord666 View Post
I'll take my lead from the South Korean people. The vast majority are just shrugging their shoulders and getting on with life. That happens when you've had 60 years of posturing, rhetoric, and threats from the country beside you I guess.
Not a bad attitude since they, you or us aren't going to have any control over the outcome. I was a child during the Cuban Missal Crises and I learned early how to ignore this this stuff.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues