Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Do you submit each post to certain social bookmarking sites?

I was just reading a Matt Cutts message from back in July about unnatural links pointing towards your sites.. I have been submitting each post of a new site to about 4 popular social bookmarking sites. In particular sites like Digg and Chime.in Does Google frown upon that? I mostly do that because my sites get picked up faster.. I have gotten sites penalized in the past and I never had a clue why.. Could this be the reason why those sites were whacked out of the search (some of them never recovered). I have put a lot of work into a new site and am afraid of doing anything wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 PM

You should not put efforts to get back links from every other site, instead try to get back links only from the sites having relevant niche to your site along with high PR.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Cool Unnatural links

Yes there is a big issue with unnatural links means backlinks on unrelevant sites.It is necessary to avoid this do quality off page work according to your site's theme.Doing bookmarking on 4 popular sites is not a mistake if you submit it in right category according to your site.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 AM
v7n Mentor

Focus on content, and not spamming bookmarking sites with links.

The time you spent working on submitting links, could have been put to brainstorming, taking pictures, making a video, or writing an article.

As for submitting every article, no, there is no way I would do that.

I only submit to social bookmarking sites if the article has over 1,500 words, a video and a couple of images.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
v7n Mentor

I agree with the others; only to do it if it adds active traffic value and brings value to the users who the bookmark will be put in front of.

However I doubt this is affecting your Search positions because most of the big sites like Digg are nofollow links. Therefore the search engines don't take them into account.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM

I agree, while it may have been a good strategy in the past, today's different. It will actually HURT you if you do that (or nothing will happen at best).

Instead, I recommend you submit maybe only your most important/best content pages and spend the rest of your time on other important activities.

Either create content, brainstorm new keywords, answer reader mail or pursue much more rewarding link building activities such as
forum posting
guest blogging
interview experts in your niche
uploading YouTube videos
etc...

Maybe they'll take a lot more time than submitting a few links to social bookmarking sites, but at least they'll SKYROCKET your traffic as opposed to getting your site in trouble at Google.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help,
Steve

Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Once again, NOT the quantity, but QUALITY!!!

Try to submit to TOP social bookmarking sites, but EACH post. That way you will get extra backlinks to your pages in your websites, NOT only to the homepage

Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I do social bookmarking for every page of my site. Because in directory submission we can't use deep link of site, social bookmarking site is a good way to deep link submission.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

I don't do that because it took a lot of time, and i think it's better to use that time in backlink building.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 AM

don't listen to matt cutts. He treats webmasters like sheep.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthecool View Post
don't listen to matt cutts. He treats webmasters like sheep.
So who do you listen to then and why?

Backup your response.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Sorry,

I guess I should make my posts better.

Listen to other webmasters.

it is like listening to a politician just because he is in charge.

do your research, do your testing. find out what works for you, see what works for other webmasters, see sites in top positions on google. I can bet you they are not following this guy's advice.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM

not just about every single post is suitable for social bookmarking submissions. Your post has to be viral in order to attract traffic from such websites! Otherwise it will just sit quietly just like several others

Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

i think you not submitted every post to social bookmarking site if you get traffic to share our post social networking site and social bookmarking site use for keyword optimization.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 AM

i only submit important post to social bookmark site

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM

I do usually post my links to popular social bookmarking site because they kinda fall into every category. What I mean is that when you post a url, you have the option to select a category so make sure you select the correct one. Also, use only the most popular social booking sites and the best website content that you have. You don't want people visiting your website and you have low quality content, this will unheart your visitors.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

You can post your link but you shouldn't post your content to other site at the time when you post content to your site.

If your site indexing rate is slow then this content would be duplicate content for your site and other site would get benefit of your content.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:49 PM

as long as no more than about 10-15% of your posts on social networking are self promotional it should be effective and fine.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM

I would be wary of the number you share and the amount of sites that may look odd. I don't think social book marking is terrible, but you shouldn't rely on that for SEO. What may be helpful is if you post your articles or guest blog on authority sites that are related to your niche.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthecool View Post
Sorry,

I guess I should make my posts better.

Listen to other webmasters.

it is like listening to a politician just because he is in charge.

do your research, do your testing. find out what works for you, see what works for other webmasters, see sites in top positions on google. I can bet you they are not following this guy's advice.
i gota pretty much agree here, iv noticed Matt Cutts and highly regarded SEO people say one thing, but results show something completely different. For example the sites at the top of the SERPs for my keywords are very obviously spammy blackhat sites, with bad links and little content, but they are the ones that are still up there even after all these updates, its the the people that are playing by the rules, those guys have fallen way own the rankings.
So id say to the OP, post them to social site i don't know how google would know it was spam anyway, as people could genuinely be posting your site to these social networks or for example if you have a facebook page for your site/brand you will want to post and update that everyday to keep it interactive and keep people involved, but like others have stated, I wouldn't do it at the expense of creating good content.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum