Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Texas Women’s Health Program Bans Abortion Affiliates

Quote:
If there was any hope that the state was seeking a compromise with the federal government over Texas’ Women’s Health Program, it’s fading fast. At the direction of lawmakers and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, the Texas Health and Human Services commissioner signed a rule on Thursday that formally bans Planned Parenthood clinics and other "affiliates of abortion providers" from participating in the program — something the Obama administration has said is a deal-breaker for the nearly $40 million-per-year state-federal Medicaid program. http://www.texastribune.org/texas-he...on-affiliates/
After fully reading and understanding the specifics of this ban, I would love to hear your thoughts on this ruling.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

The poor women of Texas are the real losers in this battle over state rights.

The people who live in Texas must abide by Texas law and that certainly sounds like what is being done.

That's about all I can say.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Well ... I heard about this on the radio today.

I have basically two thoughts on it. One is that Script is right ... it will very possibly cost poor women in Texas health care (and maybe I'm one, since I can't afford health insurance).

However, there is another part of me, honestly I think it speaks louder to me, that applauds the idea that the state refuses to allow the federal government to force them to bend to their ideals.

If you offered to pay me to break my moral code, I would hope I wouldn't ever be desperate enough to take you up on it. I think, for myself, standing up for what you believe in is far more important.

I know planned parenthood is at the center of this, but I'm actually focusing outside of that particular debate and looking at the big picture. Texas tends to be somewhat independent in its stance, and I admire that. If you allow the federal government to put their fingers in every pie and dictate what the states will do, you effectively remove the state's authority and autonomy. And I for one think that the federal government has become FAR too over-reaching in many, many ways. This is just one instance of preventing that, so I tend to stand for it.

Although, I want to be careful in saying that this is MY opinion. I hesitate to make that call for anyone else, and I'm thankful that it's not my place to deny essential health care to someone else for the sake of shoring up my position.

How's that for waffling? LOL ... I hope it made sense. This one is difficult.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Not waffling, reasoning out loud perhaps and all valid considerations.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues