Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Question Well The FDA Is At It Again!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...0225_DNL_art_3

Well the FDA wants to claim your own stem cells from your body as a drug! Unbelieveable

You know there are people who have been branded conspiracy therorist for a long time and yet the longer I live and the more I see I don't think they are so nuts. With congress/senate passing the approval of the 30,000 drones in United States skies "to help law enforcement and to curb drug traffic" as the reason for putting them up there (again scare tactics to get you to accept the idea) BUT I will bet that isn't their only reason. What is your opinion on either subject.

Last edited by Weebitty; 02-25-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Added content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Honestly, IMO, this one is a little harder to argue.

Since it's not the stem cells themselves, but the process of culturing and re-injecting them, it does become a medical procedure. And quite frankly, I'm not convinced the information we have available at this point would tell us whether the procedure is safe or has risks. Just because stem cells are naturally occurring in the body, does not make them safe to do with as you will. Just as people used to enter our place and tell their friends "Everything in here is natural, it's all perfectly safe and none of it can hurt you" ... I would interrupt them and tell them that yes, it's all natural BUT if it is misused, it CAN hurt you. If a substance is active (say to increase your heart rate) and you take it when your heart rate is already too fast ... well, then, you've potentially placed yourself in danger. Knowing the full effects of what you use and using it appropriately is essential to safety. And I'm convinced we no not know yet the full effects of how stem cells will behave in the body. So ... I DO think the government agencies (not necessarily the FDA) have a bonafide claim in potentially regulating the process.

Now, do I think they will use that regulation to sincerely protect the public health? Pffttttt .... based on their track record, absolutely not. So I agree with what I think is your opinion, that they should stay out of it. The more things they stay out of the better (though that is certainly not the trend!) because they have completely betrayed public trust.

BTW, I was curious about their position on cord blood, but the article does mention that as well, so the question the idea raised for me was answered.

EDIT:
By the way, I have to add ... somehow I think what I have said here does not really state my true opinion. While I DO understand the idea of regulating a medical process, I don't even agree with the decision-making processes attached to that authority. I have a suspicion that if a natural cure for cancer were proven, it would not become available in the US simply because of how that machine works. And to be honest, I think the process of harvesting and utilizing stem cells would fall under the same kind of category.

I will say though, the potential for inducing cancer by increasing stem cells is there ... as I said, we just do not know enough about what we are doing.

Last edited by Inspired Ink; 02-25-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: adding comment

Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM
v7n Mentor

Inspired Ink. Thanks for your opinion and yes the procedure is a medical process true but the idea that the stem cells are coming from your own body and there is less chance of rejection. I think we are intelligent people (at least most of us use to be) then we can educate ourselves on the dangers of natural. Besides you can't trust "natural" in food companies at all. Because it isn't! Take for instance the Tree Top All Natural Fruit Snack. They have natural flavors, no fat etc etc etc. But when you read the ingredients the second ingredient is corn syrup with is HFCS renamed! My grandson was having nightmares and my daughter couldn't figure out why. Long story short I took the fruit snack away at night and wow no more night mares it has been a week now. What does that tell you? (he is 4 by the way). The same with Ocean Spray Fruit treats too. PLEASE READ THE INGREDIENTS on all boxes not the big letter advertising that claims they are natural, no fat, no gluten on the front of the box. But don't stop there call and e-mail the company and raise he$$. And don't buy the crap.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 PM
v7n Mentor

I do hope, btw, that you didn't misinterpret my comments. I am not saying anything in support of the FDA and likely never will.

And as you say, slogans like "All natural" and even "organic" are so often re-interpreted, thanks to our friends at the FDA, that I don't bother keeping up with what they actually mean in legal terms anymore, and of course you can no longer trust that kind of labeling. You have to educate yourself more deeply, and read the labels, as you say. I'm really in 100% agreement with you.

(Now, if only I could find a way to make a decent pecan pie that doesn't require corn syrup ... it is the ONLY corn syrup I ever consume anymore, and that just about once every two years. I tried maple syrup last time and that doesn't work.)

I see where the whole trend is going, and I don't agree with it. I don't mean to support the idea AT ALL. The ONLY thing I was actually saying is that the process IS a medical procedure, and as such, I can see the grounds for having some oversight. Not that that is the place of the FDA.

What I meant about the "all natural" comment is that so many people think that you can use herbal remedies with abandon, and "nothing can hurt you." If they ARE active in the body (and they are) well, then that is just foolishness. It's very true that you don't have the side effects, etc. that synthetic replacements (aka pharmaceuticals) cause. But ... they CAN still be harmful if misused. That was all I meant to say.

I answered quickly because I had to run to the bank, and I hoped I had been clear. I didn't want anyone to misunderstand that I was actually in support of the proposal.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

This is very clearly a medical procedure and very clearly falls under FDA jurisdiction. This needs to be some over-site on if the procedure is effective and doesn't expose the patent to unnecessary risks.

Inspired - next time someone states that "Everything in here is natural, it's all perfectly safe and none of it can hurt you", remind them that Hemlock, arsenic, cobra venom and lead are all "Natural" products. And that you are pretty sure they would all harm you.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
This is very clearly a medical procedure and very clearly falls under FDA jurisdiction. This needs to be some over-site on if the procedure is effective and doesn't expose the patent to unnecessary risks.
Yes, it IS clearly a medical procedure. Actually, that is exactly the reason it does NOT fall under FDA jurisdiction. The FDA jurisdiction includes: food, drugs, medical devices, vaccines, blood and biologics, veterinary concerns, cosmetics, tobacco, and products that emit radiation. Medical procedures are not on that list. (Thankfully!!!)

That’s why they are trying to have a person’s stem cells declared to be “drugs” so that it can be argued that they have jurisdiction over the process.

I do not disagree that oversight is needed. I also agree 100% with Weebitty that it really should be up to the INDIVIDUAL to be informed of risks and potential benefits and they should be allowed to make the call themselves. The FDA is notorious for removing that right from citizens. Most people do not even have the freedom to purchase raw milk if they so choose.

Anyone who believes that the FDA is concerned with effectiveness and risks … well, take a look at the legislation they have passed, and that they have failed to pass. It is easy enough to see that their loyalty follows the money, not the public health.

It’s somewhat ironic (perhaps a Freudian slip?) that you say they would not expose the “patent” to unnecessary risks. LOL, THAT is what the FDA is very good at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
Inspired - next time someone states that "Everything in here is natural, it's all perfectly safe and none of it can hurt you", remind them that Hemlock, arsenic, cobra venom and lead are all "Natural" products. And that you are pretty sure they would all harm you.
Clever retort, but I fear such a statement would do much to alienate clients who come seeking help, and do little to educate them. I’d prefer to explain in my own way.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Once again, it does not amaze me, here is an example of how true hardcore science is being regulated for monetary gain.

(I am providing the following link, not meant as a link drop, it does point to my own website, but it is truly relevant to the topic: http://www.biology-nation.com/Introd...l_Culture.html)

It is ludacrous to say that growing cells in culture is a medical procedure, by definition it is most certainly not. I took Advanced Cell and Agro Culture in college and the entire course solely involved the growing of cells in culture.

Simply put, cell culture is just a fancy way of saying "growing cells in media culture" the media is the substance used to provide the nutrients cells need in order to properly reproduce and divide.

Different media is used to promote different types of cell division and growth. We even had to produce our own media using recipes for the course.

Stem cells are natural occuring cells found within the human body, although the cells are being removed from the body and grown in culture, the stem cells are not being modified in any way, shape or form... they are simply just being reproduced.

Therefore, since no stem cell manipulation is occuring, these stem cells remain in their "natural" state. Which U.S. Patent Law clearly states, cannot be subjected to copyright law or patents.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Being the skeptic that I am, I never take the agenda and motives of the government or anyone else at face value just because they're "authority" and we're indoctrinated to believe so.

For instance, it's easier to justify a war on drugs when drugs and guns come across the border from Mexico. Sounds innocent enough doesn't it? Well, if you dig a bit deeper, there's definitely hidden agendas here. Take for example, the guns that were being sold to drug gangs by the ATF. It's easy to provide ammo, so to speak, to the supposed enemy and then blame that enemy for what they're doing so that you can wage your political war and make policy that reflects that.

So as is the case with the drones. There's no reason for all of those drones flying up in our skies. One person says they're necessary for "our protection" to prevent terror because they take what is given at face value and never question the reasons why. Yet, they never ask themselves just how many acts of terror have been committed in the past few years. If the current law enforcement, including Homeland can keep this from occurring, why then, do we suddenly need thousands of drones flying looking at everything. Keeping tabs on things are we?

I'm just stating that people should look at more than just what someone is telling them, even if that someone is the government.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Bingo I think you hit the nail on the head with your post. That is exactly how I think as well. Good post. Couldn't have said it better myself (even though I tried)

Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

The only difference in most cases between conspiracy theorist's and everyone else is that the conspiracy theorist's Notice what's going.

A truly bizzare move by the FDA but they are a government agency and if you looked hard enough you'd probably find a few creepy CIA generals and all sorts of bohemian grove types pulling the strings

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues