Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

View Poll Results: Abolish The TSA?
Yay 7 63.64%
Nay 2 18.18%
Undecided 1 9.09%
Don't Care 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Share |
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

TSA: Yay Or Nay?

Is the TSA effective?
Do you believe the loss of civil liberties is worth trading for security?
Do you believe the TSA is making the USA more secure?

http://gmancasefile.blogspot.com/2012/01/tsa-fail.html

Quote:
TSA has never, (and I invite them to prove me wrong), foiled a terrorist plot or stopped an attack on an airliner. Ever. They crow about weapons found and insinuate that this means they stopped terrorism. They claim that they can’t comment due to “national security” implications. In fact, if they had foiled a plot, criminal charges would have to be filed. Ever hear of terrorism charges being filed because of something found during a TSA screening? No, because it’s never happened. Trust me, if TSA had ever foiled a terrorist plot, they would buy full-page ads in every newspaper in the United States to prove their importance and increase their budget.
Quote:
With the congressional spotlight on the organization, TSA is finally feeling what it's like to be screened. It has walked through the detector of bureaucratic failure and the red light has gone off. It’s time that we ask congress to have TSA “step over to this area” for a more thorough search. For once, "TSA screening" will be productive. I predict that dangerous amounts of inefficiency, derivative thinking, and reactive policy will be located, if not in their shoes, in their DNA.
Has the TSA altered you in any way? Do you travel less by plane these days?
Or is it business as usual for you, TSA or not?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Don't fly any more......
They do not seem to be a very professionally operated agency.........
And they have the advantage of hiding behind the "national security" banner.....

I do believe that we need some form of transport security....but real security....
Personal freedoms as a trade off for life......I choose life..

I have nothing to hide......I have been sooo investigated there is no more to search....I could care less.....)))

Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Security should be run from either airport security or local police, not some overtrumped, transportation mob.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I hated to do it but I voted undecided.

I agree we can do far better, but after observing Washington work, I would like to see the new plan before we toss out the old.

Most of you posters are right on target.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Why stop there?
The real problem is structural.
Why not abolish the Dept. of Homeland Security?

The primary purpose for the creation of DHS was to allow covert activity
safe from the constitutionally mandated oversight of Congress and, by inference, 'the people'.
(didn't vote)

Last edited by rabble; 03-02-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Personal freedoms as a trade off for life......I choose life..
Good thing the Minute Men, the Continental Army and the
patriots of the thirteen colonies didn't feel that way.

Just saying ...

Maybe the choice isn't between life and security.
Maybe it is between security and freedom.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member

Nicely put Rabble

Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Some people think all of this lack of freedom is necessary by touting "security" but in reality, there hasn't been a single large scale attack on our soil by terror activities since 2001. However, despite that, things like the NDAA are put forth just as the drone situation was put forth. If it's not broke, don't keep trying to add to it.

They say "security" but they should use another more appropriate word....... Control.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to challenge the premise of the poll. I am don't believe that we are losing any civil liberties. Yes they are an inconvenient, but that does not equal the lose of any civil liberty.

I think that our founding father would be astounded at the ease and freedom we have in travel. The TSA screenings, while inconvenient, are nothing compared to the hardships they would have faced for a simple trip from Boston to New York. As for the invasion of privacy, think about the amount of privacy you would have spending 6 weeks on a small cramped ship.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
I'm going to challenge the premise of the poll. I am don't believe that we are losing any civil liberties. Yes they are an inconvenient, but that does not equal the lose of any civil liberty.
Have you had a look at the Fourth Amendment?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Hell Nay! Abolish the awful orwellian organization. It's all part of the bigger agenda for control. There is no real threat to our security, at least no more than there ever has been, however the people are far more easily manipulated and controlled and pose no real threat to the relative few in control, when they live in a permanent state of fear - hence organizations like the TSA being introduced and perpetuated to keep us all afraid of the bad men from the desert.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe View Post
Hell Nay! Abolish the awful orwellian organization. It's all part of the bigger agenda for control. There is no real threat to our security, at least no more than there ever has been, however the people are far more easily manipulated and controlled and pose no real threat to the relative few in control, when they live in a permanent state of fear - hence organizations like the TSA being introduced and perpetuated to keep us all afraid of the bad men from the desert.
The TSA has been very effective at that, haven't they?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post

I think that our founding father would be astounded at the ease and freedom we have in travel. The TSA screenings, while inconvenient, are nothing compared to the hardships they would have faced for a simple trip from Boston to New York. As for the invasion of privacy, think about the amount of privacy you would have spending 6 weeks on a small cramped ship.
That's a straw man argument if I've ever seen one.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not American so take this with a grain of salt.

But wouldn't you guys save more lives by spending the money on reducing the road toll? or on health education (as opposed to health care).

I'm pulling this number out of my backside but I think the average American (or Australian or any other westerner) is hundreds of times more likely to die in a car accident or from a preventable disease than from an act of terrorism.

I'm not sure the TSA is giving you guys much value for money, if you consider it in terms of lives saved vs dollars spent.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, I am not suggesting that you shouldn't direct some resources and money towards keeping yourselves safe from terrorism.

Last edited by Seven3; 03-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM
v7n Mentor

Great point Seven3. You get rep for that one.

You ARE correct. Disease and accidents are way deadlier than a terrorist attack. In actuality, there hasn't been a large scale attack since 2001 here in the U.S. That doesn't mean that some form of screening and security aren't necessary, it just means that if something is broke, don't try to fix it up. The TSA's budget just keeps increasing and now you have naked body scanners that have been shown by an engineer don't fully work as he demonstrated how to beat them.

Personally, I think the airports should provide their own security or even have local police run the security. Would save a great deal of budgetary spending that could be utilized in more pressing places. And we HAVE A LOT of those these days.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues