Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #21  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
ScriptMan's Avatar
ScriptMan ScriptMan is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 13,648
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Very valid points from Mr Jones.

I don't need any excuses to dislike bankers. I see enough every time I get a bank statement showing the .25% per year they are paying on my money.

I still remember the SOB that turned my grandfather down for a $300 loan to bury his wife when I had already taken the banker aside and said I would front the money as a deposit or whatever he wanted for security. No he would not loan a 40 year customer $300 with cash guaranteeing the loan. It was a point of pride for my grandfather, I had already offered the money to him, as a loan if that was what pride required.

Well I did not forget. I owe the *******s nothing and they can all kiss mine. They won't get any water from this water boy no matter how hot is in Hell.
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #22  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
G10's Avatar
G10 G10 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 05-10-04
Location: UK - Cheshire
Posts: 11,765
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
Something doesn't add up on this story. The guy clearly doesn't like his boss yet goes out to eat with him. A little strange. OK - so maybe it was a business lunch with the boss picking up the tab. That would imply others being present besides the boss and the underling. So why would the boss leave this receipt and message out for others to possibly see. Also, how would this guy take the photo without the boss knowing about it? Yes he could have grabbed a photo with a cell, but the photo is really clear for a cell phone. I think the whole thing is a fake.
My sentiments exactly. Something does seem a bit strange with this story, too many variables for disgruntled employee to stir things up.

Ok, here's a twist...

It could be a very clever ploy by the bank manager to do this, knowing fully well that people will be thinking along the lines of "digruntled employee" and not blaming him, and in return get people onside with the bank manager... Though if this is the case then he's a smart cookie and too smart to be a bank manager in the first place

@ ScriptMan - I understand your anger at bank managers, my father also went to ask for a loan to set up the family restaurant business, they actually refused but said "if another bank offers you the money, then come back to us so that we can talk", so believe me, I hate dislike them just as much as you (btw, he got the loan from another bank in the end).
 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
My sentiments exactly. Something does seem a bit strange with this story, too many variables for disgruntled employee to stir things up.

Ok, here's a twist...

It could be a very clever ploy by the bank manager to do this, knowing fully well that people will be thinking along the lines of "digruntled employee" and not blaming him, and in return get people onside with the bank manager... Though if this is the case then he's a smart cookie and too smart to be a bank manager in the first place
Hey guys did you actually see the merchant receipt?

Are you setting up a conspiracy therory?
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Nealrm Nealrm is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-06-12
Location: Jackson Mo
Posts: 250
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I did see the receipt, what I didn't see is who wrote on the receipt. I'm thinking more along the lines of one of the 99%er wanting some bad PR against the 1%ers.
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Sunfyre7896's Avatar
Sunfyre7896 Sunfyre7896 is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 03-22-11
Location: Texas, Good ol' USA
Posts: 491
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I don't even have to read about who this man is. I've been a part of many a debate on other forums over this very issue. That issue being should people tip or not, and how much. This despicable piece of human filth decided to go above and beyond the already atrocious view that you shouldn't have to tip because if they don't like it, they can just get another job, and do it completely out of spite towards Occupy and show just how arrogant he can be.

This joker should have to wait tables for an entire month, without access to his wealth and no other pay, for penance. Let him get a taste of what it's like to be in the service industry. I personally waited and bartended for over 8 years from the age of 19/20 well into my late 20's. It's a lot harder than what some people would have you believe. Some people just see you deliver some food and a check and think, oh how simple, but I can tell you that when you get slammed (busy), there's so much more to it. There's a ton of multi-tasking that would make some of these white collar cronies go crying to mom in their two thousand dollar suits at the country club, as well as, a lot of negative customers that you have to deal with that is in many cases, not your fault at all.

People like this make me sick and it's no wonder people have such a negative view of those HAVES, that SEEM to be more fortunate than the rest of us. What an arrogant pri**.
 
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
drunkglitch drunkglitch is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-16-12
Posts: 54
iTrader: 0 / 0%
How in anyway is that rude a tip is a bonus. You don't have to give it to them. Why do restaurants get tips when most other professions don't like postman and shelf stacker if you don't tip them then why tip a waiter they get paid in there wages.
 
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkglitch View Post
How in anyway is that rude a tip is a bonus. You don't have to give it to them. Why do restaurants get tips when most other professions don't like postman and shelf stacker if you don't tip them then why tip a waiter they get paid in there wages.
Postman and shelf stacker are different professions.

You go to a restaurant and plan on ordering a good meal for some special occasion or just wanted to go out to a nice place with family and friends. You don't have to actually set your own table, write down want you want and give it to the cook or even cook it. The cooks don't get any tips and are more busy in the back then the waiter or waitress. The waiter or watriess will be your servant and get you everything that you need in a timely manner.

They don't get paid that much and in most states get paid the min. wage so they count on good tips to make good money. I was a waiter a few times at the place i worked all through highschool and the money was in the tips. So i was super nice to the customer and tried to give them the best service so i could get a decent tip.

If i got a cheap tip and know that i didn't doing anything wrong to make them mad at me or the resturant, i would be pissed off but won't take it out on the next table. I just won't serve that family if they return.

Last edited by snakeair; 03-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 PM
ScriptMan's Avatar
ScriptMan ScriptMan is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 13,648
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkglitch View Post
How in anyway is that rude a tip is a bonus. You don't have to give it to them. Why do restaurants get tips when most other professions don't like postman and shelf stacker if you don't tip them then why tip a waiter they get paid in there wages.
At the time the laws were enacted it was because they had a strong lobby. Here in the US, the last time I looked, servers were still being paid $2.08 per hour plus tips and required to report at least enough tips to equal minimum wage. Now a good one will make at least $10 even in a coffee shop; but they only make that if people leave tips. Upscale places they earn far better.

Now if you think $10-20 per hour for waiting tables is too much pay; I suggest you try the job and report back to me.
 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Seven3's Avatar
Seven3 Seven3 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-28-11
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
I did see the receipt, what I didn't see is who wrote on the receipt. I'm thinking more along the lines of one of the 99%er wanting some bad PR against the 1%ers.
This^^

At least in my opinion, the whole 1% vs 99% thing has people so polarized they are looking for any excuse to fly off the handle.

Did people read the whole source? including the bit where the real receipt was produced?

This appears to me to be just a clever little hoax. One that proved that people allow their emotions to be manipulated oh so easily.

I nominate it for troll of the year based on the number of panties it managed to get into a twist.

P.S. I come from a country where tipping is not customary so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
 
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Nealrm Nealrm is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-06-12
Location: Jackson Mo
Posts: 250
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The bit about the real receipt and the photo being a hoax was added about a week after the story was posted, so it was not present when many of the original comments were posted.

Many were willing condemn the man based on a short article. I wonder how many would have equally praised him if he had left a 50% tip and a positive remark?
 
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Zap's Avatar
Zap Zap is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Posts: 13,770
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Is this what passes for news these days? Really?
Is it not possible that anyone can be a cheapskate? Rich or poor?
 
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
drunkglitch drunkglitch is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-16-12
Posts: 54
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
At the time the laws were enacted it was because they had a strong lobby. Here in the US, the last time I looked, servers were still being paid $2.08 per hour plus tips and required to report at least enough tips to equal minimum wage. Now a good one will make at least $10 even in a coffee shop; but they only make that if people leave tips. Upscale places they earn far better.

Now if you think $10-20 per hour for waiting tables is too much pay; I suggest you try the job and report back to me.
Nothing is too much pay. And nothing is too little you get paid what you get paid, but what if you go to a restaurant for a special occasion and you earn min wage yourself then why do you need to tip. Everyone will say there job is hard.
 
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
drunkglitch drunkglitch is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-16-12
Posts: 54
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Postman and shelf stacker are different professions.

You go to a restaurant and plan on ordering a good meal for some special occasion or just wanted to go out to a nice place with family and friends. You don't have to actually set your own table, write down want you want and give it to the cook or even cook it. The cooks don't get any tips and are more busy in the back then the waiter or waitress. The waiter or watriess will be your servant and get you everything that you need in a timely manner.

They don't get paid that much and in most states get paid the min. wage so they count on good tips to make good money. I was a waiter a few times at the place i worked all through highschool and the money was in the tips. So i was super nice to the customer and tried to give them the best service so i could get a decent tip.

If i got a cheap tip and know that i didn't doing anything wrong to make them mad at me or the resturant, i would be pissed off but won't take it out on the next table. I just won't serve that family if they return.
Min wage is still a good amount of money. In most of the world people don't even get that.
 
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Sunfyre7896's Avatar
Sunfyre7896 Sunfyre7896 is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 03-22-11
Location: Texas, Good ol' USA
Posts: 491
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkglitch View Post
Nothing is too much pay. And nothing is too little you get paid what you get paid, but what if you go to a restaurant for a special occasion and you earn min wage yourself then why do you need to tip. Everyone will say there job is hard.
You have to realize that these are people too that only make $2.13 an hour in many places and rely on tips to make a living. I understand that people want to go out, but it's not really that big of a deal to leave some extra money in tip out of gratitude of a good meal with good service as well.

I guarantee you that at least half of people that attempted to serve tables wouldn't make it a month either through not being able to do the job or quitting. There's a lot more involved than most people think. The amount of multi-tasking and memory involved when the restaurant is busy, on a wait, rivals jobs that make more money than restaurant workers. I served and bartended for over 8 years of my life and I can tell you from first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkglitch View Post
Min wage is still a good amount of money. In most of the world people don't even get that.
While, yes, Americans do make more than much of the world, the living expenses in the U.S. need to be taken into account. What it costs a person in India, for example, to live making $1 an hour, for arguments sake, is not necessarily less than someone in the U.S. making $7.50 an hour. That just went up in the last few years. For many years it was $5.25. And when I started working, it was $4.25 an hour.

While that sounds like a lot of money to many in the world, you have to realize that things are relative when it comes to money and cost of living. $7.50 an hour isn't a lot in the U.S. in terms of cost of living. You will not be able to support a family, live on your own in many places, nor have a vehicle, insurance, gasoline, enough food to live on, utilities such as electric and water, etc. And yes, I understand that many people in the world would love those things, but in the U.S. there aren't a plethora of places available where that kind of money works. Everything costs more in the U.S. from food to utilitites to places to live. Again, it's all relative. More money in one country doesn't necessarily mean better living on the lower end.

There is also a cultural difference here working as well. People are taught to be independent in the U.S. We're not taught to have huge extended families living together extending over generations all living under the same roof. Our culture embraces ingenuity, drive, and independence. We embrace making something of yourself and starting a family. That's just not possible for the most part only making $7.50 an hour. So you have to realize that when taking into account money issues within the United States.
 
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Nealrm Nealrm is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-06-12
Location: Jackson Mo
Posts: 250
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Employees are paid based on the skills and knowledge they bring to a job, the demand for those items in the market and the current market supply. The difficultly of the job has little to do with the pay scale. In this case, it appears that the supply of people that can be waiter is exceeding the demand and keeping the wage level low.
 
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Sunfyre7896's Avatar
Sunfyre7896 Sunfyre7896 is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 03-22-11
Location: Texas, Good ol' USA
Posts: 491
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
Employees are paid based on the skills and knowledge they bring to a job, the demand for those items in the market and the current market supply. The difficultly of the job has little to do with the pay scale. In this case, it appears that the supply of people that can be waiter is exceeding the demand and keeping the wage level low.
While the supply and demand aspect is partially true, restaurants figure since the servers are receiving tips, it's better for their profits to only pay them the minimum for a restaurant at $2.13 per hour. While some states like California actually pay national minimum wage plus tips, many states such as Texas only pay the $2.13 per hour. California does this due to the higher standard of living within the state. The supply of servers would have to be so extraordinarily low for them to justify paying national minimum wage. That hasn't happened in the state as far back as anyone can remember as there will always be servers, even in a down economy.

All in all, I firmly believe that it's more the tip issue keeping wages low rather than demand, as many restaurants have had low staffing rates in the past and didn't raise their actual wages.
 
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Seven3's Avatar
Seven3 Seven3 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-28-11
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrm View Post
I wonder how many would have equally praised him if he had left a 50% tip and a positive remark?
I'm sure big tips happen regularly, but I imagine people keep those quiet so they don't have to report them on their taxable earnings.

Take the bad with the good.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Greedy Banker Thread boblord666 Controversial Social Issues 13 10-21-2011 09:46 AM
Banker Bail Out camaya Controversial Social Issues 1 05-27-2010 11:26 PM
Went home for lunch and checked my email ~kev~ Blogging Forum 4 05-08-2009 08:55 AM
What did you have for lunch awall19s brother Forum Lobby 132 08-21-2006 09:19 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC