Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Paypal Donate

This has been on my mind for a longtime. I see a lot of Websites displaying the PayPal Donate button. I have donated to someone years ago. I was actually PhpLinkDirectory, when they just started development. There was no price for the program at the time. However, I liked what I had and thought the developer needed to be rewarded. I saw the donate button and made a donation.

I am curious, how many people use the donate button and what sort of results they get? I highly doubt visitors will be generous. It always seems tough getting gold from the mines.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm1905 View Post
This has been on my mind for a longtime. I see a lot of Websites displaying the PayPal Donate button. I have donated to someone years ago. I was actually PhpLinkDirectory, when they just started development. There was no price for the program at the time. However, I liked what I had and thought the developer needed to be rewarded. I saw the donate button and made a donation.

I am curious, how many people use the donate button and what sort of results they get? I highly doubt visitors will be generous. It always seems tough getting gold from the mines.
A year ago someone donated 5 dollars to me but that's basically it. I've donated myself when i feel the website in my own opinion has helped me out in a way. A lot of people don't know how much time we put into our sites in our free time and sometimes we could just use a extra few dollars donated to put back into the site. lol

Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think anyone who's done it could argue that point, time and coffee! lol

Thanks for the insight.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 AM
v7n Mentor

I wont donate to blogs, or websites just for being there, but i have donated many times when i have used WP plugins that are FREE. I figure for $5 its helped me out so much and if its a good plugin, earning some money means the Author can spend more time on it.

A recent forum that i took over had a Donate Now button. Even though it is a very helpful and social sort of forum, i removed the button immediately as leaving it there.....well i sort of feel like im begging

JMT.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
I wont donate to blogs, or websites just for being there, but i have donated many times when i have used WP plugins that are FREE. I figure for $5 its helped me out so much and if its a good plugin, earning some money means the Author can spend more time on it.

A recent forum that i took over had a Donate Now button. Even though it is a very helpful and social sort of forum, i removed the button immediately as leaving it there.....well i sort of feel like im begging

JMT.
Good point, it does seem like begging.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Better than nothing

Quote:

At the end of the day, it's better to have a donte button than no button at all. You might get some generous people once or twice a year, but that's better than 0 times per year!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 AM

I installed the donate button about 6 months ago. Sure it has not generated a fortune but I get around $40 per month that I otherwise wouldn't. What do you have to lose?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 PM

I would rather run good paying ads than some donate button. If you have good ads paying you then there's no need for that donate button seems like begging like others said or it would show like you were struggling to get a fortune

Old 05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

I think only 1% of the people who use it

Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g36 View Post
I think only 1% of the people who use it
Got a source to back that figure up?

There are non-profit sites out there online who take donation's to keep the website and cause running.

The niche i am in, i'd be lucky if someone donated to me. I do have a donate link on my site tucked away.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

I am not using this button and which sites where you got this button?
[removed]

Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali.sandhya2 View Post
I am not using this button and which sites where you got this button?
[removed]
Visit the paypal website to get a button.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...-intro-outside

Also leave the link dropping out of your posts. Read the PM i sent you.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 04:21 AM
Banned

ya man no body do this think now in these days

Old 05-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

I have also faced situation where people send a mail laughing for the donate button.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM

I won't pay to visit a website. They want visitors and need visitors. If the website offered something for free that was valuable to me and had a donate button for that item, I would, but not just to visit and read a website. I don't use them on any of my blogs.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

I had this button back, way back when I had a website that teaches you HTML in detail, but both the blog and button don't exist anymore but yes, I used to get about 10-15$ a month at max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I've donated myself when i feel the website in my own opinion has helped me out in a way. A lot of people don't know how much time we put into our sites in our free time and sometimes we could just use a extra few dollars donated to put back into the site. lol
Yes very true, but the world now is pretty selfish. They want your valuable stuff for free but would pay 1k to a Nigerian promising them a Mill $. They don't recognize the value of matter that is presented on the internet, back then when Internet was a luxury people used to buy books, for every little thing. I am waiting for that day to come again when authors would get enough money, but these guys don't even give some appreciation in the form of comments, really disheartens me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
I removed the button immediately as leaving it there.....well i sort of feel like im begging

JMT.
Quote:
Good point, it does seem like begging.
Why do you feel like you are begging? When people come to your site for info, they might as well make millions out of it who knows. All you ask is for a little donation, you aren't directly asking either. The button just exists down there, unnoticed most of the times. Do have it, just in case Jesus knocks your door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperp View Post
I get around $40 per month
Can you please tell us which niche are you operating? We would like to hear expert advice from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbuildr View Post
At the end of the day, it's better to have a donte button than no button at all. You might get some generous people once or twice a year, but that's better than 0 times per year!
Yes, very good thinking. Every one needs to be optimistic like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post
I won't pay to visit a website. They want visitors and need visitors.
Agree with you on this, there are advertisements already loaded on the website. They are more than enough for the efforts they put in(I know a friend who earns in 5 figures for weekend blogging)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post
If the website offered something for free that was valuable to me and had a donate button for that item, I would, but not just to visit and read a website. I don't use them on any of my blogs.
This is the attitude you need to sport. If there is something of value to you, reward it because you might make some money out of it as well.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM

I have mine in my site too... Anyways, if someone would donate, then they can donate, if not, it is fine with me... Not compulsory anyways.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Perhaps the people who donate to you, send them something in return. Could be a free ebook or mention there website in a blog post of yours...etc

If i do add a donate button back to my site, this is something that i would start doing.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue