Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM

Question Linking Upwards of 30 Websites to Main Storefront

Hello there, I am currently helping handle SEO for GoneForaRUN.com & ChalkTalkSPORTS.com. I am directed to help finish many micro-sites linking to certain products, and of course to the main websites.

A sample of these micro-sites include BibFOLIO.com, FrameMyRace.com, and Hockey-Mom.net.

I am linking keywords in the home page's content accordingly, and various links to specific products are spread throughout the small websites.

So my question: How effective is this method, and what can I do to improve upon it? All advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM

Bumping!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 AM
v7n Mentor

Kenny_,

If your goal is to flow PR from all of these micro sites back to the main site, I guess your success would depend on how much effort can be put into actually making the micro sites good for users as well as your ability to not leave a footprint. In my view, I think Google will see this as a link wheel or some other kind of linking scheme and not give a lot of weight to the links leading back to your main site.
If your goal is to just get more exposure in SERP’s for the business, this could work.

The issues I see are these:

When you create lots of sites, who is maintaining/contributing content to all of these? Will it just be copied and pasted from the other websites or will it be unique?
I can see that each site offers something unique. I guess I’m missing what it is you are trying to accomplish by having all the sites linked together. Again, if its to flow PR, that could work but you have to make those satellite sites authoritative or their links don’t really matter much.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Seems close to the old "doorway" pages method...
I also believe that Google may see it as a link whee (scheme)l....

I think that a single (or two) blogs could help drive traffic, provided that they are maintained...

My choice is targeted traffic.....PR does not pay the bills...)

Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Seems close to the old "doorway" pages method...
I also believe that Google may see it as a link whee (scheme)l....

I think that a single (or two) blogs could help drive traffic, provided that they are maintained...

My choice is targeted traffic.....PR does not pay the bills...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smanaher View Post
Kenny_,

If your goal is to flow PR from all of these micro sites back to the main site, I guess your success would depend on how much effort can be put into actually making the micro sites good for users as well as your ability to not leave a footprint. In my view, I think Google will see this as a link wheel or some other kind of linking scheme and not give a lot of weight to the links leading back to your main site.
If your goal is to just get more exposure in SERP’s for the business, this could work.

The issues I see are these:

When you create lots of sites, who is maintaining/contributing content to all of these? Will it just be copied and pasted from the other websites or will it be unique?
I can see that each site offers something unique. I guess I’m missing what it is you are trying to accomplish by having all the sites linked together. Again, if its to flow PR, that could work but you have to make those satellite sites authoritative or their links don’t really matter much.

Hope that helps,

Shawn
Thank you for the quick replies! I received close to the same feedback from others, and have since realized that organic traffic is much more attractive to Google than something close to PR manipulation (or a link wheel.) The websites aren't authoritative besides a couple which rank semi-well. The company has decided to lower the link density inside of the main text of these micro-websites in light of this, but chooses to keep them dofollow. Does this seem like an appropriate measure to take? I recommended they keep all of their links and put them all on nofollow, since like Jim said, PR doesn't pay the bills.

Last edited by kenny_; 06-17-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum