Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management

Forum Management Discuss forum management topics including forum software, mods & plugins, developing high quality interactive communities, advertising revenue, forum security, dealing with spam, and more. Ideal for forum owners, administrators, and moderators.

Share |
Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Building Forum Content

You can't have a busy and successful forum without members and you can't attract members without content. Since the two go pretty much hand in hand, I thought we'd discuss forum practices on how to build forum content to attract membership.

I think it's also extremely relevant to try and capture your frame of mind as well because not all webmasters are the same and as such, I think it's more helpful for people to understand your responses if they can understand your frame of mind as well.

1. What do you like about your forum?
  2. What do you dislike about your forum?
  3. How many new posts do you create a day (average)?
  4. Of these new posts you create per day, how many are relevant to your sites theme, direction, focus (average)?
  5. Do you research the new topics you create or do you simply create new topics off whatever comes to mind?
  6. If you do research the new forum topics you create, what means do you use to create targeted forum content?
  7. Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc?
  8. Do you ensure your topics stay on topic?
The responses you make to the above questions may lead to some valuable insight as to the current state of your forum activity.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
v7n Mentor

1. What do you like about your forum? I love the fact my members actually care about one another and as such, never turn to flaming, arguing, bashing, belittling or finger pointing. I was aiming for community when I first created my forum but what I ended up with was extended family.
  2. What do you dislike about your forum? Too few members actually post new topics.
  3. How many new posts do you create a day (average)? 11
  4. Of these new posts you create per day, how many are relevant to your sites theme, direction, focus (average)? 1 or 2
  5. Do you research the new topics you create or do you simply create new topics off whatever comes to mind? A mix of both.
  6. If you do research the new forum topics you create, what means do you use to create targeted forum content? Google Adwords Keyword Tool and Google Trend Labs.
  7. Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc? Some of the better content inspires either a news article or blog article. I also have started using Twitter which also updates automatically to my Facebook account.
  8. Do you ensure your topics stay on topic? Not always.
My forums have fallen off a bit as of late and it would appear that I'm most definitely part of the problem.

Please share your results and conclusions.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

1. What do you like about your forum? clean, easy to navigate and has great forums that many communities do not have.
2. What do you dislike about your forum? Lack of members posting topics and lack of active members.
3. How many new posts do you create a day (average)? 3-4 (Busy life)
4. Of these new posts you create per day, how many are relevant to your sites theme, direction, focus (average)? 40 or more
5. Do you research the new topics you create or do you simply create new topics off whatever comes to mind? Mix of both.
6. If you do research the new forum topics you create, what means do you use to create targeted forum content? Labs, Google Adwords, Discussions that are popular in other forums and mine.
7. Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc? I do this with a lot of social bookmarking. No blogs. I have signatures on 8 forums that have quality posts to them and also put my link in my profile on all forums.
8. Do you ensure your topics stay on topic? Not sure as my community is new but so far it has.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
v7n Mentor

1. What do you like about your forum? - everything

2. What do you dislike about your forum? - needs a better articles section

3. How many new posts do you create a day (average)? - from my control panel it says about 3 post a day average

4. Of these new posts you create per day, how many are relevant to your sites theme, direction, focus (average)? - no idea

5. Do you research the new topics you create or do you simply create new topics off whatever comes to mind? - both

6. If you do research the new forum topics you create, what means do you use to create targeted forum content? - youtube videos, articles, and I take a lot of pictures

7. Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc? - sure I do

8. Do you ensure your topics stay on topic? - I try to

Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

What do you like about your forum? Ummm...pretty much everything. I really like the design and think it is very easy to use.

What do you dislike about your forum? The lack of members and activity (gets down on knees and begs, please join my community!)

How many new posts do you create a day (average)? There is really no average, some days it could be 20 or some days it could be 2 or 3. It just depends what is going on and if there is something topical to discuss.

Of these new posts you create per day, how many are relevant to your sites theme, direction, focus (average)? At least 70% of them. I do keep the chat forum ticking over but it isn't a main attraction for me so I try and just leave the off-topic stuff to my members.

Do you research the new topics you create or do you simply create new topics off whatever comes to mind? This depends on the subject. If it is something topical that is in the news or something then I will research, otherwise it may just be a talking point or something which may not (need) be researched.

If you do research the new forum topics you create, what means do you use to create targeted forum content? Generally Google although sometimes inspiration will come from newsletters, RSS feeds or Blogs.

Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc? No, well, rarely. I should do it more often.

Do you ensure your topics stay on topic? I try to but so far we only have about 100 members and they haven't really strayed yet.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:32 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCaD View Post
Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc? No, well, rarely. I should do it more often.
What type of marketing do you use then? Or, do you just let it spread word-of-mouth?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
v7n Mentor

1. What do you like about your forum?
I like that my members use my site as a refuge from normal life and the hassles life comes with.
2. What do you dislike about your forum?
I am impatient and always want more or better things.
3. How many new posts do you create a day (average)?
14.65 posts per day.
4. Of these new posts you create per day, how many are relevant to your sites theme, direction, focus (average)?
Probably about 5
5. Do you research the new topics you create or do you simply create new topics off whatever comes to mind?
A bit of both really.
6. If you do research the new forum topics you create, what means do you use to create targeted forum content?
I don't understand this question (sorry dyslexia kicking in) can someone explain this question please?
7. Do you link to your forum content offsite via a news page, blog page, social bookmarking, social networking, etc?
I have advertisied in midwifery magazines/websites, dropped business cards in doctors/hospitals. Use facebook & twitter. Done loads of website submission and paid someone to advertise my site through blogging etc.
8. Do you ensure your topics stay on topic?
Any topics off topic I bung in our timeout section (general forum), my site is a sanctuary a place to relax and unwind so sometimes off topic content is very relevant.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 AM

What do you dislike about your forum? The lack of members and activity (gets down on knees and begs, please join my community!)

I closed my 3 forums in 1 year for the very reason

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Forum Management