Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 AM

What i need to become a blogger

Hi everyone. My daughter wants to be a blogger and i do not know what to recommend her. So the question is:
What i need to become a blogger.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

There's not much to becoming a blogger. Becoming a successful blogger on the other hand is a whole different story.

She could go out and set up a blog now with a bit of knowledge, but there's no guarantee that she would be successful. Also, one of the big draw backs of being a full time blogger is the lack of financial security.

First step: Get educated.

An English degree would be particularly beneficial. Maybe with a few marketing modules thrown in. While she is studying, she can read up on blogging, learn about web design/SEO etc. If she changes her mind about becoming a blogger, her degree could lead to a whole host of other opportunities.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Neontope, thanks)

Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Administrator

You did not say how old your daughter is.

Problogger has a book ( 31 Days to Build a Better Blog) you/she could get for $29.99 to read. Actually, you could read through his whole site.

Darren Rowse (Problogger.net) is an established respected professional blogger.

You will need:
  • A domain name. While there are free blogging services it is better to own your presence on the web. Domains are not that expensive these days. Register for a year or two to try blogging out.
  • A web hosting account. This is your storage space on the web for your blog. Would not recommend combining domain registration w/ hosting. If something goes wrong between you and the company it could be hard to move.
  • A blogging software. The most popular right now is Wordpress. Use a self installed instance of Wordpress available from Wordpress.org. Don't use the quick install button at the hosting company. You never know what they have done to the installation process to meet their needs - not yours.
  • A visual theme. Wordpress comes with a theme. You can also check their site for other themes. If you really want to go gung ho on this you could have a custom theme created.
  • A topic theme. Pick a subject to blog about. A focused blog would do better than a blog that is a missmash of unrelated topics. Pick something that isn't saturated and you really would like to write about for an extended amount of time.
  • Don't think an English major is a requirement to get started. I'm sure lots of successful bloggers started with any particular degree.
  • Learning how to market the blog would be a good idea. You are not going to get many readers if no one knows about you.
  • Learn some basic SEO (search engine optimization) on-page and on-site techniques so the blog will be found in the search results. Saves on marketing time and money.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:52 AM

There are multiple companies out there that pay people to Blog. Have yoru daughter do her homework and pick a niche that fits her.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 AM

My daughter is 16.

She does her homewokr every day. She likes musics, fashion and astronomy.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

First is that you have writing skills and research's for the every topic's and you can updates your blog for daily basis and sharing this from social media and others discussion boards.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

If the blog is not for commercial purpose and if she only wants an online platform to express and share, free blogging platforms such as wordpress, blogger.com are what she needs to use.

She would required to know following two things.
(1) Technical know how of using blogging platforms.
(2) Content

Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned

I would go with blogger.com easy to use and shares well on facebook with good captions and thumbnails when posted to social media

Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM

I would also recommend blogger.com or wordpress.com. She can get started right away for free. If she decides that she enjoys blogging, she can switch to a self-hosted Wordpress site on her own domain. I would recommend Steve Scott's Kindle ebook "How to Start a Successful Blog in One Hour." She can download it for free, and she doesn't need a Kindle device to read it. The software can be downloaded to the computer. Good luck to you both; blogging is a challenging and rewarding experience.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member

To become blogger you need to be passion about writing and delivering people latest knowledge or information. Just forget about earning or something else start writing and do not stop! also there is no age limit to start!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 AM

Become a great blogger she need to be a passionate about blogging.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADNY78 View Post
My daughter is 16.

She does her homewokr every day. She likes musics, fashion and astronomy.
At 16, she probably knows more about blogging than you think.

Tumblr is still hot with the kids... Rather than offering her the tools of the professional, I think she'd benefit from a discussion about what should be avoided.

As teens, we were prone to acting before thinking, and a lot of kids have regretted a thoughtless post...

People get fired, expelled from school, can't get jobs later... all due to posting something better kept off the computer.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Contributing Member

Passion of writing and grip on english.
Willing to learn new things and then sharing it.
Hardwork.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Banned

writting skil is very important part for become blogger. some know about HTML language for design blog and website and also for manage your website or blog.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 AM

There is no need to become a blogger. Blogger site that accept all Google users.
But before that, Just know little bit about SEO and this is useful to your daughter too.
Use different quality contents in the postings and share those post in Google+ and other Social networking sites to get more traffics.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

necessary requirement for became a blogger

first you may improve your knowledge in that field which field blog you want to build. Must need a server(you may take it on a rent), than you may register your blog name. Than you may need a c-panel for your privacy. and a good knowledge of English.
Hope your daughter will became a good blogger.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

You don't need a server for a blog. If the blog get's as huge as TechCrunch then yes a server is needed. A simple blog can run on shared web hosting for a long time. This will save money on shared hosting if the blog will not have any revenue coming from it.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member

Blogs are free to use but if you want to make it popular then i think you need to learn some basic tips to drive traffic to your blog.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM

I think. She have to read more and write more. Because, to become blogger. She have to well write.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Closed Thread