Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Add Listing to Dmoz

Hi,

I am trying to add my website to dmoz directory since a year but never have succeeded.

Targeted category: Regional/Asia/Afghanistan/Maps_and_Views/Photos/

Site URL: afgpictures dot com
Site Title: Afghanistan Pictures
Site Description: Large collection of photography uploaded by professional photographers.

Could anyone review this and let me know if above content is correct to submit it and the category is relevant or not.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

If you already submitted your website 1 time then you should not submit again.

Quote:
Procedure After Your Site is Suggested

An ODP editor will review your suggestion to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of suggestions to the particular category, it may take from several weeks to years before your suggestion is reviewed. Please only suggest a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple suggestions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising and suggesting the same URL more than once is not permitted.
Source: http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

I have never got feedback on submitted website. It's almost year and the category have very limited links.

Do you think I should wait more? Sometimes I feel dmoz is dead and the authors are really not interested to review and approve new websites.

Is there a way to cancel my previous submitted URL and resubmit it?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 PM

I submitted 4 years ago and they never email you if the listing is approved or rejected. We just have to search the category we submitted to every few weeks.

You will have to wait till one of our dmoz editors we have on this forum respond to this for the official word.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Contributing Member

dmoz never accepts all posted categories while very short are accepted ... may be they have rejected your one .... but hope for best .... may be in near future you got listed ... i am saying that because i also submitted many times but rejected ... simply means no mail from there side ...

Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Do you think I should wait more? Sometimes I feel dmoz is dead and the authors are really not interested to review and approve new websites.
Or it could simply be we get a huge amount of submissions.How many Volunteer Editors do we really have, that would have an interest in editing in that subject?

The site has been suggested, it is in the suggestion queue and there is nothing else that you can do. ANYTHING you do can only be detrimental to your cause so move on and promote your site elsewhere. It could be a day, it could be years, but eventually the site will be reviewed.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranum View Post
I have never got feedback on submitted website. It's almost year and the category have very limited links.

Is there a way to cancel my previous submitted URL and resubmit it?
i think dmoz is dead or no one take care of it for now.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

in this whole forum has any one received any email that confirms that your website is listed with dmoz? I want to know that are they accepting sites or we just wasting our time ... because I never listen form them as accepted .. any one ?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEO-GURU View Post
in this whole forum has any one received any email that confirms that your website is listed with dmoz? I want to know that are they accepting sites or we just wasting our time ... because I never listen form them as accepted .. any one ?
Yes, DMOZ accepts sites everyday. It's worth pointing out that you are simply suggesting your website for review, there is no guarantee it will be listed and no definitive time frame for review.

No emails are sent out when a site is listed, that is not a feature of our editing software.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriko View Post
i think dmoz is dead or no one take care of it for now.
It's not dead. Keep in mind the editors are volunteer's and do this in there spare time. I am not an editor but I am sure they have to sift through poor submissions and other stuff when reviewing listings in there assigned categories.

With the recent update with a report listing feature, this is going to help clean up dmoz of listings that need an edit or deleted. Dmoz will get even more better.

I don't have an approved listing but I think dmoz is still a valuable directory. Plus it's bragging rights when you sell your website to say it's listed in dmoz. Maybe it'll help with the sell.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 AM

I think may be you will have selected wrong category due to this reason it's not submitted.You try once in this category dmoz.org/Computers/Graphics/Clip_Art/Pictures it will be work even I submitted and it got uploaded.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 AM
RIP 2014

Quote:
I think may be you will have selected wrong category due to this reason it's not submitted.
Actually, if you suggest a website to the wrong category, an editor will eventually come across it and move it to what he thinks the correct one for further evaluation. Picking the correct category in the first place only shortens time scales, not listability. This isn't a lottery or Snakes and Ladders .

Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Submit it and forget it there are to many other valuable directories out there. You'll drive yourself insane trying to out guess them.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
If you already submitted your website 1 time then you should not submit again.

4months before I had submitted my link in dmoz, but till the date I have not got it approved, can you please tell me what to do, because as per your comment over here I can't add the same link again. Looking for your response.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:44 AM
RIP 2014

Quote:
can you please tell me what to do
As snooks said above, do nothing. Instead, devote your energies to other means of promoting your website.

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. DMOZ is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. DMOZ is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 AM

Naturally, DMOZ welcomes websites daily. It really is value aimed readily available that you'll be fundamentally hinting which your website pertaining to examine, there isn't any guarantee it will likely be stated devoid of defined time-scehdule pertaining to examine.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Category, title, description everything seems correct still read DMOZ submission guide. You get better idea

Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Contributing Member

Well, the thing you should do now is to contact the editor of that category you're trying to submit your site to. Then wait for at least 3months. If no good news, then in 3 months again contact the editor. If fail, then ask for help here http://resource-zone.com and write a letter to the editor-in-chief of DMOZ asking to review your application.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Naturally, DMOZ welcomes websites daily. It really is value aimed readily available that you'll be fundamentally hinting which your website pertaining to examine, there isn't any guarantee it will likely be stated devoid of defined time-scehdule pertaining to examine.
Doh!.......Could you repeat this in English?

Quote:
Well, the thing you should do now is to contact the editor of that category you're trying to submit your site to. Then wait for at least 3months. If no good news, then in 3 months again contact the editor. If fail, then ask for help here http://resource-zone.com and write a letter to the editor-in-chief of DMOZ asking to review your application.
Why 3 months when listing reviews can take years???

Contacting the resource zone for information is fine, but status checks will not be provided.

Contacting an Editor wont help.....most Editors will not reply and are encouraged not to reply, due to the reactions of people when they are dissapointed. Wierd and nasty things can happen when people dont get listed The Editor In Chief....if we had one, would be unlikely to drop everything he does to handle your submission, placing you ahead of the hundreds of thousands of other submissions. Do you really think you (or anyone) are that special?

Last edited by Snooks; 04-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:04 AM

I have suggested my site to dmoz 3-4 times in 3-4 years but never got a positive result. I am shocked when i see very bad sites indexed there. I think they don't have a proper method of accepting the suggestions

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread