Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 02-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Question Is Yext a Total Scam?

I was looking into Yext after I noticed that a few competitors use them (or use web developer/SEO companies that use Yext). I was bugged by the fact that you have to keep paying them or they revert your directory information back to its status from whenever you hired them.

I went to many of the directories that Yext touts, and some of them seem like they exist for the sole purpose of giving Yext a reason to exist. By that, I mean I suspect Yext just created the directories for their own use.

On top of that, I noticed that many of these directories backlinks are either no-follow, or they don't link directly to the website, instead going through some yext intermediary address. I'm assuming that means there is no SEO benefit to the link.

So is Yext just a pointless waste of money or, worse yet, a scam?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 PM

I'm thinking scam after reading this review:

http://blog.localseome.com/yext-revi...ate-scam-site/

Part of the review:
Quote:
Search Engine Rankings

Let’s say that you run a gardening and landscaping business in Des Moines, Iowa. When locals search for landscaping companies on Google, Google will put the top local businesses at the top of the search results page. If you have even one review from a past customer, Google will rank your information higher. If you have a website, that page will appear high in the search results too. PowerListings from Yext will do little to change the rank of your website or company name.

If you only read the information the company provides, you won’t know that it can’t help increase your rankings on Google. While you might see your business mentioned on Mapquest or Yahoo, most people do their shopping and searches through Google. They hope that you won’t notice that your Google results remain the same. Unless you want to pay a high price for something that doesn’t work, look for an alternative to this company, or better yet, do the work yourself.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting that.

Part of the problem is that Yext is convincing legitimate sites - mapquest, topix, even yahoo (I think), to forgo free listings in favor of "premium" listings that must go through Yext. It makes it harder to establish a good web presence for a young site, even for those of us willing to do the hard work of manually entering our information into quality directories.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues