Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Link baiting...

I am just new here and i just want to know more about link baiting. As far as i know, link baiting is simply writing an article or simply publishing your site. Anyone can give me more idea?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Link baiting is really important. It is basically used to "bait" your visitors to click on a link.

Example

You write an article on dog training. Your goal is to get your readers to click on a link and submit their email address to you, so you can market to them again. You could offer them something for free to "bait" them into giving you their email address.

Something like "For a limited time, I am offering a free report on how to finally get your dog to stop barking".

Of course people that came to your article did so because they want to learn more about dog training. Odds are seeing a link like that is going to be a solid hook and they will be begging to hear more!

Matt

Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Link baiting is an effective link building tactic. The primary goal is to obtain as many relevant inbound links to your site as possible. Although link baiting is somewhat of a gray area, this goal is often achieved by presenting and marketing your site in a manner that captures or “baits” someone’s attention enough that they are motivated to link to it.

A few examples of link baiting:

Informational- Provide content a reader will find useful. People don’t care what you are selling unless it is somehow relevant or beneficial to them.

Content will usually present a means of eliciting an emotional response such as that derived through humor, anger, etc.

Article writing and submission would fall under this category.

Jokes -
Be it audio or visual, people like to laugh. Humor sites tend to draw people's attentions and earn you links.

Note: Optimal results achieved for originality.

Tools - will typically fill a niche market that provides either new functionality or functionality that is “superior” to any utility that is currently available. For example:

Write a script and post it on a website. If it's useful people will link to the site.

News - Become your own original news service. Challenge today’s media with interesting substantiated facts in a refreshingly enticing manner.

If you happen to live in the US, it's an election year so there should be no shortage of ideas.

Attacks –
Although ad hominem attacks tend to be bad form and could potentially get you sued, they can be an excellent link baiting tactic and will possibly garner your site quite a bit of attention. It may be a tad more useful to attack an idea.

Hope this helped.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

I have tried it twice.
- I developed a social bookmarking tool offering it free. This one still generating me links.
- I wrote an article relating three popular bloggers Shoemoney, John Chow, and John Cow. Here is the link http://www.cosmocentral.com/post/Joh...hey-do-it.aspx All I did is compared the time they had success using Compete.com. I knew compete was far from accurate. But since I could show that they had success same time, that made my story. I had comments from all those bloggers and compete officials except John Cow. Personally I think they are all nice people. It was just a link bait for me.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 AM

you need to give them a reason to click your link.....for example...

Paris Hilton pregnant???? then your keyword and anchor text is Paris Hilton...so users may click that because they find it interesting and they want to know if its true.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m42 View Post

Attacks –
Although ad hominem attacks tend to be bad form and could potentially get you sued, they can be an excellent link baiting tactic and will possibly garner your site quite a bit of attention. It may be a tad more useful to attack an idea.

Hope this helped.
can you like give some examples of this or sites that have done this...thanks

Old 05-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Banned

before i read this post...im not aware of the PR link baiting....now i understood it very well
thanks for this post

Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m42 View Post
Link baiting is an effective link building tactic. The primary goal is to obtain as many relevant inbound links to your site as possible. Although link baiting is somewhat of a gray area, this goal is often achieved by presenting and marketing your site in a manner that captures or “baits” someone’s attention enough that they are motivated to link to it.

A few examples of link baiting:

Informational- Provide content a reader will find useful. People don’t care what you are selling unless it is somehow relevant or beneficial to them.

Content will usually present a means of eliciting an emotional response such as that derived through humor, anger, etc.

Article writing and submission would fall under this category.

Jokes -
Be it audio or visual, people like to laugh. Humor sites tend to draw people's attentions and earn you links.

Note: Optimal results achieved for originality.

Tools - will typically fill a niche market that provides either new functionality or functionality that is “superior” to any utility that is currently available. For example:

Write a script and post it on a website. If it's useful people will link to the site.

News - Become your own original news service. Challenge today’s media with interesting substantiated facts in a refreshingly enticing manner.

If you happen to live in the US, it's an election year so there should be no shortage of ideas.

Attacks –

Hope this helped.
I would say attacks are the most effective in getting link bait in my experience although informative posts get me the links I need as well. If you're looking for related links then go with informative posts but if you're just out there to hog links then go for the attack.

Obviously attacks aren't the most ethical, but it gets the job done at the end of the day.

- Swapw

Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

yup having a good and original content you'll have a link bait....

Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Smile

Yes link baiting is writing. But link baiting will give you relevant backlinks naturally. The content should be unique, interesting, controversial and should focus on the topic attracts people. They start blogging, discuss in forums. Automatically your website will be popular.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

Link bait (or linkbait) refers to anything on a website that encourages links from other websites. It can include content, online tools, downloads, or anything else that another site owner might find compelling enough to link to. Link bait is important because most search engines use backlinks as a major factor in determining ranking.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Banned

link baiting is important it gives a preview of what your site has to offer and it also serves as a good backlink to your site can be in a form of article.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Lets say you make a attack linkbait. Where do publish them; I mean the most effective places to publish?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
can you like give some examples of this or sites that have done this...thanks
*laugh* I don't resort to attacking people to acquire links.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:13 PM
v7n Mentor

Very well said m42... It is really a very effective tactic... But I guess it isn't that easy to do...

Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corlock View Post
you need to give them a reason to click your link.....for example...

Paris Hilton pregnant???? then your keyword and anchor text is Paris Hilton...so users may click that because they find it interesting and they want to know if its true.
good explanation corlock, i understand more and get new idea from you.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

My fav link bait is to create a top ten list somewhere on your site and submit that page to digg, stumbleupon and other social networks and bookmarks.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

Link baiting is very useful to earn more traffic to your site.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskertley View Post
before i read this post...im not aware of the PR link baiting....now i understood it very well
thanks for this post
What is PR link baiting? The term is Link Baiting only, not PR Link Baiting..

Old 06-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Link baiting (or linkbaiting) is the latest buzz word in the SEO world and has come to be the preferred way to natural link building.
It means to create something that naturally attract backlinks for your web page by getting people to talk about it, discussing it on forums, blogging about i, posting it on del.icio.us/Furl/Digg/Shoutwire and linking to it from their sites. It also attracts a lot of visitors.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum