Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Share |
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 PM

Post Benefit Of Wikis

What is Wiki? what is the benefit to create a wiki pages? whenever i search any news then why Wikipedia page comes in the top of the Google results...? Why????????

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Wikipedia is a great source of information. It is free for access by anyone. You will get information about many things on wiki. It has different pages having different information. Google values its information and thus shows it high in results. I know it is not the most appropriate answer to your question but surely you will get more answers here. Let others say about it.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 AM

Thanks Alisha....

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

Many companies also provide wiki pages to provide their customers with a help and support system they can read through. There are many other wiki sites out there that are just meant for information. I have seen, besides wikipedia, many company wikis, anime wikis that give you insight to characters, game wikis... the list really is endless.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,

Wikipedia has become one of the most popular websites on the web because of its ease of use and hence anyone can create new articles and disseminate information for those interested in that specific subject.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Banned

In my own terms, Wikipedia is a monopoly of say, legitimate information about certain subjects in the internet. At least in a Google search result page.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 AM

Basically a wiki is an online, dynamic and ever changing encyclopedia. Wikipedia is a site that hosts one of if not the largest wikis in the world. The information is written by it's users but is constantly being reviewed and revised by others to make sure the information is correct. Many people and companies now use a wiki site on their own site to create FAQs, general help sections and detailed manuals. Wikis are great for this purpose and the software is open source and free to use by anyone.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM

If I also may suggest. If you are thinking of creating a wiki website, you should consider what type. I think making a general (or all topics) one would be a bad move because Wikipedia it the best and most popular and competing with them will be very hard and will take a lot of time and money if you can even do it... Now niche wikis (or ones about specific topics like fishing, football, foot fetishes lol, etc.) would be the way to go. Just be sure to research first and see if you have competition and how their site is doing as in how much activity a day, users, what features makes it unique, what lacks features and so on.

I created a wiki on storm chasing using MediaWiki software, made a few posts about it here and there on some weather forums and one member joined and put like 100+ articles on it within a week, people are taking a lot of interest in it.

So I am having great success in niche wiki running and felt the need to suggest it to you as well

Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

I use wikipedia when researching things it is a collection of wiki's with each being unique in it's on topic.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Because Google considered wiki as an authority website.
That is why whenever wiki has an update it was easily
crawled by spidy.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
The simplest online database that could possibly work.It's no secret that Google places an increased weight on links from "authority" websites. Wikipedia, a free internet encyclopedia that can be edited by any user, is certainly one of the top authority websites in the eyes of Google and I'm certainly not the first SEO to observe that an awful lot of Wikipedia pages are currently ranking quite highly in the SERPS.
Source: http://www.searchengineguide.com/tod...o-create-y.php

Last edited by snakeair; 03-18-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: add quotes and source

Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM

There are benefits of wikipedia in terms of link building as well...I have 2 sites with links from Wikipedia and not only that I outrank it but also get quite a good number of visitors from those pages. Please, do not say anything about wiki links being nofollowed!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

In-Depth With Wikis

A wiki, by a lot of people's definitions, can vary. But a wiki's form is most often a web space, a lot of the time a subdomain or deeplink (although sometimes a separate URL all together for SEO or some other purpose), where a community of members or sometimes non-members can go to add pages, add information to already existing pages, change existing information, and other such things.

This is usually in an effort to ascend to the highest possible understanding of whatever subject the wiki covers. Wikis are great because, if you have really, really good moderators that have great backup systems and a strict editing policy, then you have yourself a hard-core knowledge base for information on the topic it revolves around. Just search and surf, and you'll be well informed on anything you're looking for.

Don't get me wrong, some wikis are just downright unreliable. But this is easily gotten around by doing prior research into the wiki and the subject of the wiki. Learn a bit about the community, learn about some more known members, learn about the mods and who they are, study the wiki for a bit before committing.

If you can, by good judgement, identify that the wiki is a good one (well moderated, friendly members, very rare or no cases of "bad pages", etc.), it could do you well to join in on the fun.

Now I'm not reigning expert on wikis, by far. But I'm assuming the reason that wikipedia (or other wiki) pages tend to fly to the top of search results is because a wiki, much less a page on a wiki, is almost always designed around a single dominating subject. Because of this, SEO prevails in the form of lots of keywords and other content-related SEO. Also ,Wikipedia, the leader in wiki technology, has high authority. And many wikis that exist for long periods of time can also build authority with lots of returning traffic, lots of subscriptions, lots of dynamic content, content being added all the time, and more.

For example, there is a wiki out there called "Doom Wiki". It's a wiki that is all-encompassing on the subject of the Doom games (Google it if you don't know them). I challenge you to go to Google and look up "Pinky Demon", which is the ever-famous pink, bipedal demon with glowing yellow eyes, huge teeth and an ape-like build. The first result that pops up is always one of the pages on Doom Wiki about either the Doom 3 version, or the regular Dos Doom version.

This is because of the ridiculous amount of keyword references to that specific monster. And it's not keyword stuffing because a good wiki page is highly detailed with a LOT of diverse content (copy, pictures, tables, statistics, etc.), and the keywords are just spread out. Plus, related keywords are always included, referring to other parts of Doom, or things relating to the pinky demon itself, etc, etc, etc.. All of this put together makes one damn good, content rich page that Google will just eat up.

I could go on forever about wikis and how much I love them, but I'm sure you get it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing