Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 AM

Smart Drugs - would you use them and why?

Students turn to 'smart drugs' to boost grades

Quote:
Use of brain-enhancing drugs is on the rise, and a ban wouldn't work

Students are increasingly using brain-boosting drugs and they're virtually impossible to ban, an expert warned today.

Drugs normally used for conditions such as Alzheimer's disease and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are being used by students around the world to improve their academic performance.

In some US universities, a quarter of students are reportedly using "smart drugs", and there is anecdotal evidence of increasing use on British campuses.
Would you use them? Have you used them? What was their effect? Will there come a time when students will have to use them to keep up with others? What are your thoughts on this disturbing issue?

What do I think?
If it is not causing any harm, what is the problem? Is it any different from eating properly and getting proper exercise, does that not have a beneficial effect as well. Are you going to ban eating properly too? What if a student can not afford to eat properly?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 AM
v7n Mentor

I think they should be administered at birth - imagine a world without stupid people?

On a more serious note - I'm not sure that we can state that there are no negative effects. Who knows what kinds of effects we'll see over time.

It's a bit like performance enhancing drugs taken by athletics - it doesn't gel to well in my brain - but maybe if I try them out it will all make sense.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Banned

I have tried it before and actually it sucks coz it has different effect on me I thought I will retain the stuff that I have studied the night before but during examination I got mental block so I never used it again ..To some it work I guess but for me it has different effect

Old 10-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Banned

Smart drugs? looks like scam drugs to me, it doesn't give an effect to any one even if the manufacturer includes Einstein's brain on it! It depends on you on how you use your brain.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumer147 View Post
I have tried it before and actually it sucks coz it has different effect on me I thought I will retain the stuff that I have studied the night before but during examination I got mental block so I never used it again ..To some it work I guess but for me it has different effect
Aren't you supposed to take them before you have to user your "extra brain power"? and the night before while you study?

I haven't heard of any long term side-effects, but there must be some. Has anyone heard of some sideeffects? If there aren't any, I can't really se the problem, but that is rarely the case with medication

Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
v7n Mentor

What good are they if you're still stupid when you come down?

Something that makes me permanently more intelligent, now that I would take.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
What good are they if you're still stupid when you come down?
That right there is damn fine comedy

Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Don't 'smart drugs' just promote people being lazy within education and life in general. I mean, damn, people already have the iPhone that does everything for them and can get the answer to any question they need with google, will smart drugs just make things worse? If not controlled it will get to the point where people with little understanding of them will assume it just 'makes them smart' and will become ever increasingly lazy.

I say, play the hand you were dealt.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 AM

I think I agree ELCaD... I wouldn't use them myself, but have no problem with other people using them... as long as it is not illegal off course

Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

I'm smart enough as is. No need to use "smart drugs"

Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

if i were a parent and i see that my child is having a hard time to study or make his or her grades high...

i think i will not us that drug... i think any drug in the market have side effects though you can't feel it now, you can feel the side effect in the future... i think it depends on you how can you make you child's grades higher and makes his or her school more fun and exciting to his/her

Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have tried it before and actually it sucks coz it has different effect on me I thought I will retain the stuff that I have studied the night before but during examination I got mental block so I never used it again
It is because your system was not used to it, i also experienced something related the first time i tried it. You would have got positive result if you had continued using it.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

I have never tried and never want to!

I hold the firm belief that all the drugs are toxic, even if they are used to cure the pain. Let alone to say these kinds of drugs!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Closed Thread