Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

A sad day for British politics

OK I'm aware that most of this forums users are not british, and probably have little interest in british politics. But in the UK one of the things we are required to pay for is a TV licence (think of it as TV tax) this funds the BBC (british broadcasting company) and last night I was utterly horrified to see Nick Griffing leader of the far right racist BNP who seek to make all imigrants 2nd class citizens or have them ejected forcably from the country. So the money that I contributed to which funds the BBC is being spent on the masses of security they needed to protect this man from protesters. I'm pretty sure racism isn't covered by free speech? maybe I'm wrong. but more importantly, parties like the BNP should not be put on shows debating with other more respectable politians and should not be given the publicity or normalised in such a way. Ok i know they've been elected into european paliment but still there's deffinatly a horrible taste left in my mouth after the whole event.

does anybody have any thoughts on this matter?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 AM

The TV program you are referring to is of course Question Time, where politicians and those in the political scene are invited on to a panel, which then answers questions from an invited audience. The show travels around the country and tries to cover local as well as National and indeed international events. BTW did you see the show last night?

I despise the BNP and watched the show to see how Griffin would be treated. I was not disappointed. The show was held in London, a multicultural city. The audience was made up of Londoners who gave Griffin a torrid time. Added to that the Labour party put up a top government minister to counter Griffin's racist, homophobic, bigoted lies.

I think the show did a great job in showing Griffin for the racist, holocaust denying, fringe loony that he is. And showed that he has moved his attack from the Jews and blacks and Asians in general, to focus on Muslims because they are an easy target at present.

As to whether he should have been allowed onto the show in the first place, as much as it irks me to say so, I think he should. Britain is a democratic country and the BNP gained over 1 million votes at the last European election. Not to give some representation to them on the show would have been against the public remit of the BBC, which as you rightly point out is funded out of the public purse. You cannot disenfranchise a million people because you don't like their politics.

I hope that the show has done the right thing is highlighting the craziness of the BNP and the two-faced lies spun by its leader, Nick Griffin. These people need to be challenged in the open and made to defend their hopeless bigotry.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

I did see the show, but what worries me is that a lot of voters are stupid, and will not only have seen a man being torn into by a hostile audience, panel and presenter and sympatise with him, but he got a drasticly large amount of publicity. And on several occasions was actualy applauded in his statements. But, I am already aware of several people who have seen that show and thinks that he had a few good points I find this deeply disturbing. And I don't think he should've been allowed on. simply as he did make statements to incite racial hatred which is illegal even though freedom of speech is not.

My main concern is that he is now displayed amongst more respectable politicians. And remember the Le Pen incident in france? that went down quite similarly whenever he was on television, but he would've won if it were not for the weird french election system which requires a play off so to speak between the top two parties

Old 10-23-2009, 10:02 AM

I understand your concerns, we don't know exactly where this will lead. But if the response from the London audience was anything to go by, the more his craziness is exposed the more decent people will laugh at him and his party. And ridicule is all he deserves.

The applause you heard from the audience was for the few BNP supporters that he managed to shoe horn into the event, the vast majority in no way applauded.

For years the political parties and establishment have ignored the BNP and have refused to confront him and his ilk. The net result is he is now a European Parliament member and can voice his deluded opinions even further afield. Ignoring him just has not worked. I don't know if putting him in the spot light in this way will work or not, but it is about time people stood up and challenged him on his warped ideas.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues