Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 PM

I use downforeveryoneorjustme to let me know if my website is down. I do care cause I have been with hosts that claim 99.9 and then I get 90 percent, That is quite a few hours a year down.

Now to answer your question, I think it would be impossible to have a 100 percent uptime server, too many variables. Though I have not really looked into the cloud thing, it may be possible with that, seeing as if your server is down your website stays up.

Can someone tell me if by using cloud hosting if this would be the case.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Contributing Member

100% uptime is theoretically possible, having all high possible redundancy on active copy of servers and clustering of DB servers. though it is possible, practically there will be some downtime in automatic switching servers, or when it automatically does routing of the requests - may be 99.9999% or more and not 100% for sure. if there is a need for website those are critical apps that need high availability on internet, it matters with the cost and your high infrastructure setup.

For any common websites it is 99.9% uptime is Excellent and if we need a mission critical website to be implemented then suggested to go for highly redundant and clustering servers and services.

100% is (unnoticeable downtime, a ping service site that does a job for every 5 mins would show you 100%) - a server restart may be within 5 mins :-)

It all depends on what you want, how much you want to pay, and mainly your website determines you how critical it is that it matters with the uptime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAmazonhere View Post
I use downforeveryoneorjustme to let me know if my website is down. I do care cause I have been with hosts that claim 99.9 and then I get 90 percent, That is quite a few hours a year down.

Now to answer your question, I think it would be impossible to have a 100 percent uptime server, too many variables. Though I have not really looked into the cloud thing, it may be possible with that, seeing as if your server is down your website stays up.

Can someone tell me if by using cloud hosting if this would be the case.
Not possible on cloud as well with 100%. Amazon cloud also claims some services (premium with additional cost for this guarantee) for 99.999999% or something not 100%. just explore that part.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-08-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: merged posts

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Banned

100% uptime looks just a marketing trick.. But i think it can be achieved practically if you have lots to invest

Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

I am using hostgator and till now I havent face any issue. Uptime is great!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

does 100% accounts for any force majeure event to happen? like a 7 ricther scale earth quake?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckz View Post
does 100% accounts for any force majeure event to happen? like a 7 ricther scale earth quake?
It's gimmick in a way. What they usually do is - 100% uptime, but pay you if something breaks. It's just to look good. They do it under the premise that in most cases nothing will break.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum